TSi MPG

I’ve run both diesel and petrol vehicles at the same time for years, I have just sold my 3.0 RRS diesel and now have don’t have any diesel vehicles at all,they are all petrol now.
The latest one is a new TSI 204 DSG and have no complaints whatsoever about noise as I said in my last post the engine is extremely quiet at all times, when you initially start the van you can easily not hear that the engine is running, when you pull away and accelerate you can then hear the engine very well.

I’ve just been for a run from the South Coast up to Congleton in Cheshire and back A34,M6 and local roads, I cannot make any comments about the smaller engines Petrol but the 204 you can very easily spin up the wheels on pulling away on D alone, I haven’t tried it on anything else as I had no need, there was more than enough very fluid power which easily exceeded the Motorway speed limits and stayed there.
There were no gearing problems such as not changing down or dragging at any time, Petrol consumption wise I cannot comment yet as I didn’t try to do any accurate readings, the Kombi now has just over 800 miles on the clock.
I amd driving down to Portugal in January with it so will then test to see what the consumtion is as by that time the engine should be at its optimum with regards fuel consumption I should think.

But I must say I am really pleased with it.

You wouldn’t want that.
The ratio between 1st & 2nd is so small it would be a massive PITA.
I’m guessing that’s why the 204 is only supplied with DSG. These vans need the small ratio because they are designed to haul heavy loads.
I used to be a manual diehard, however DSG has won me over and I think it really suits the van range. If I was ordering again it would be DSG.

Proper sports cars though? They have to be manual...!!!

Well, I ran the 150 Tsi Petrol for 8 weeks and I honestly couldn’t wait to give it back.

Fuel economy was shocking performance really was weak and the gearing on the thing was dreadful.

People talk about how unreliable modern diesels are, however in 5 years and 50k miles I’ve never had an engine issue. No egr, no dpf and no turbo issues.
Feel relieved to be back in my old T5.1 140bhp and having had the T6 Petrol for a decent run of time, it’s stopped me in my tracks about replacing my current vehicle. Of which, I very nearly done recently.

IMO, if you don’t currently have a van and are looking. I would go straight to a 150Tdi.
If you already have a T5 which is reliable, think long and hard before changing.
Perhaps the second generation to hit these vehicles will perform a lot better or perhaps it needs some electrical assistance to allow the petrol to shine.

Good Luck.

Thank you Soulstyledevon. I really appreciate your directness and honesty. Sounds like you had a really frustrating 8 weeks with the 150 TSI. Do you think the weight you were carrying had anything to do with the disappointing performance you experienced. I would be really interested to know what weight you were carrying. The unladen weight of the TSI 150 Trend Line panel van I have ordered is just under 2,000 kg. And I never carry much weight, mostly 100kg or less. Sometimes maybe 200 or 300kg but not often.

You wouldn’t want that.
The ratio between 1st & 2nd is so small it would be a massive PITA.
I’m guessing that’s why the 204 is only supplied with DSG. These vans need the small ratio because they are designed to haul heavy loads.
I used to be a manual diehard, however DSG has won me over and I think it really suits the van range. If I was ordering again it would be DSG.

Proper sports cars though? They have to be manual...!!!

And yet I prefer our sporty (note NOT sports) car with an auto and our van (our 1st is also very low ratio; I find it handy for off roading) and Subaru with a manual. Different strokes for different folks.

Thank you Soulstyledevon. I really appreciate your directness and honesty. Sounds like you had a really frustrating 8 weeks with the 150 TSI. Do you think the weight you were carrying had anything to do with the disappointing performance you experienced. I would be really interested to know what weight you were carrying. The unladen weight of the TSI 150 Trend Line panel van I have ordered is just under 2,000 kg. And I never carry much weight, mostly 100kg or less. Sometimes maybe 200 or 300kg but not often.

The van supplied was a 150Tsi Caravelle.
Empty, other than the seats inside.
Agree with above poster about the engine being quiet. It was, however found it sounded dreadful when you got into the higher revs.

I think the best return I had to a full tank of fuel was about 375 miles.
My current diesel returns over 500 miles and can see 550 fully loaded with our camping gear.

Very glad to have my horribly polluting diesel back...

And yet I prefer our sporty (note NOT sports) car with an auto and our van (our 1st is also very low ratio; I find it handy for off roading) and Subaru with a manual. Different strokes for different folks.

Yes I can see how that’s handy for off roading or trying to exit a wet muddy campsite.
But that’s only a fraction of the driving time. Hence why I have come round to the DSG box on the van.
I had a loan vehicle last year and was a bit gutted to give it back

Yes I can see how that’s handy for off roading or trying to exit a wet muddy campsite.
But that’s only a fraction of the driving time. Hence why I have come round to the DSG box on the van.
I had a loan vehicle last year and was a bit gutted to give it back

Whereas I had one (140 Velle Exec) for two weeks and couldn’t wait to give it back; the two worst gearboxes (IMO) I have experienced are both VW; that DSG box and a Up! Auto which I was absolutely convinced was broken. I’ve driven better suited DSG vehicles (VW CC, Audi S4, Golf TDI) but not got on with any of them. It’s the downchanges that do my head in plus poor auto selection. Changing down on a flat road so I revved my butt off through my village, then up a cog as I went up a 25% gradient hill; eh?!

The BM ZF8 auto just gets it right; I very rarely intervene.
The Subaru auto is just old skool and horrible.

Almost impossible to make a four pot sound good; the Type R hondas nearly manage it and the Imprezas of old got close but you need 5 or more cylinders to sound good.

The Audi SQ7 also sounds investment for a diesel; proper NASCAR woofle. Love it!

Almost impossible to make a four pot sound good; the Type R hondas nearly manage it and the Imprezas of old got close but you need 5 or more cylinders to sound good.

The Audi SQ7 also sounds investment for a diesel; proper NASCAR woofle. Love it!

If I want to go for a hoon I jump in my e500 or my C6

If I want to go for a hoon I jump in my e500 or my C6
Can’t beat a V8 but some sixes come close. Most rev quicker too. Hence the current Ford GT having one plus zillion times best engine winner, the Porker GT3.

But you don’t get that lovely rumble/woofle.

They did an R32 engine in the T5 and a VR6 in the T4; both sounded great.

A six pot diesel in a T6 would be ideal I reckon.

Not at all. Our hire fleet is over 100 hire vehicles, cars and vans, and we are slowly changing them all to Petrol, due to demand. We have a camper hire business and by next year over 25% will be petrol, we are also having petrols converted due to demand. And we sell and lease, new and used, and we are getting lots of petrol enquires. And orders. Whether or not the engines are up to it yet, the switch is happening, and we are part of it. Always good to be ahead of the game.

They will slowly start taxing the diesels in cities etc soon, starting with euro 4, so they will become more expensive, to run.

I do 25k plus miles a year, and personally, Id rather pay a bit more to have a petrol engine, as I prefer how they drive/feel. My wifes personal car is petrol, and ill be doing most of my miles in a petrol van. Life is a better place for me :)

I will reiterate, if anyone wants to try a TSi, by the end of the month, we will have two 204DSG's, and 2 150 manuals - Im happy to do an assisted test drive, or you can hire them. See for yourself. Its a nice place to be. Not for everyone, but good to try for yourself before making judgement.

Hi Oli. I'm a sea journey + 400 miles away so unfortunately couldn't come for a test drive. I would very much like to hear your view of the T6 TSI 150. I have one on order T6 TSI 150 Panel Van LWB. I mostly carry less than 100kg. A few words would be much appreciated : -)

I would think the TSI is pretty nice - petrols are always more responsive - they build revs faster but also lose them so there's more of an analogue feel to the power delivery - with such a small power band (even with a bi-tdi) in a diesel, it's more of an on/off power delivery. Petrols are much more linear - yep there's a step with the turbo kicking in but engineers have got very good at hiding that bump and almost eliminating turbo lag.
The 204 TDI power surge is pretty impressive - it really does pull hard from about 1500 but there's a really weird gap in the power band at about 2800rpm - I'm guessing it's where the small turbo stops and the larger one takes over but it's usually imperceptible (it was in my bi-turbo 335d); this is a definite "pause" then it carries on pulling. The overall effect is fine - there is no doubt that even lugging a 2.65 tonne California, the 204 unit really does pull hard but in terms of "fun" and feedback, the feeling is a bit artificial and slightly odd. I think a diesel does suit a van well but I reckon a 204TSI manual (not currently an option) 4motion would be rather more "fun" than a 204TDI - it's not all about emissions (ahem, we all know the truth about diesels now) and pure mpg.

I'll be watching very carefully on reliability too - I bet you are "allowed" to do short journeys in a TSI - a no no in a TDI which is ludicrous.

What model is your C6 BTW?

Hi,
It is a C6 with the Z51 package, not a ZO6 but having driven one in the States I’m more than happy with the power & the performance of the 6.0 ltr, not anything major in difference to the C5 that I had previously, cockpit is a bit smaller.

The one thing that I see everyody talks about disliking is the DSG gearbox, I cannot see what the problem is really as you have the benefit of both automatic & manual without using a clutch, but that’s just me.
Many years ago a friend of a friend of mine owned a Porsche Garage and he had driven Porsche very succesfully for Porsche in Rallies etc.
We were talking about why most porsche owners always had to have a manual car when he said that give him an automatic and he would still see off the owners driving a manual version, but I guess it is all down to individual choice really.

400bhp should be plenty :D Auto or manual?
It’s the downchanges on DSG that really annoy me plus the lack of gear selection “intelligence.” Add the off-the-line hesitation and they drive me mad. Getting a DSG van onto levelling ramps must be hateful.

400bhp should be plenty :D Auto or manual?
It’s the downchanges on DSG that really annoy me plus the lack of gear selection “intelligence.” Add the off-the-line hesitation and they drive me mad. Getting a DSG van onto levelling ramps must be hateful.

My Hymer was ok in the dsg mode, provided you used it in the manual side of the box for getting on the ramps.
I reverse my T6 up a ramp pretty regularly to park without any problems, levelling blocks the same.
I bought the T6 because of the DSG box in prerefence .

Yep 400bhp is plenty and if driven sensibly at the legal limits and without ripping your tyres to shreds the fuel economy is brilliant as well, cheap as chips to maintain for anything

My Hymer was ok in the dsg mode, provided you used it in the manual side of the box for getting on the ramps.
I reverse my T6 up a ramp pretty regularly to park without any problems, levelling blocks the same.
I bought the T6 because of the DSG box in prerefence .

Yep 400bhp is plenty and if driven sensibly at the legal limits and without ripping your tyres to shreds the fuel economy is brilliant as well, cheap as chips to maintain for anything

Lots like DSG so clearly they have advantages but just not for me: I’ve tried all sorts of cars with them as well as a Caravelle. But the BM had to be auto; faster, better on fuel and emissions than the manual!

Similarish with ours on fuel; we’ve had a genuine 40mpg but around Bedford West autodrome I averaged 8mpg. A lesser 320bhp but still plenty enough for us.

I have to say running two V8s is a bit greedy. You need to give one to me.:D

Back