TSi MPG

Just driven 190 miles.
To be fair it’s good from standing and 80-90 fine.
But, 50-60 you put your foot down and nothing. Possibly a remap could work wonders.
Computer says 26.6mpg av consumption.
So probably around 23mpg real world.

Wasn’t hanging around ;)

Possibly could win me over, it’s perhaps on a par with the 150tdi apart from the mid range.

There's too much "petrol head" talk on here about "instant power and " exhaust note" and "engine noise". 99% of van drivers don't drive like ( ok maybe 95%), don't care about those qualities, they need to be able to haul stuff around, whether it's people, boxes, or 8x4 ply. You need torque to do this, and if you're the fleet manger you need mpg to do this. Imagine the look on his poor face when his fleet of 500 new Transporters have had the economy halved?

I would hazard a guess that none of the petrol heads on here have driven a 1.2 Polo or 1ltr Fiesta lately? I would guess their petrol cars have a slightly bigger engines than these and base their love of the petrol engine on these driving experiences. I'm not saying VW are going to put a 1.2 Polo engine in a T6, but the effect is the same. A 2.oltr petrol that has to be thrashed to make it do anything with a load in. There won't be any V6 or V8 lumps going in a T6, just the new breed of clean, but under powered small petrol engines.

The technology is a long way off. No. The Golf GTE is a marvel, the Volvo XC90 Hybrid is a 400 BHP 4x4 beast. I concede diesel is on its way out ( though I don't agree, CO2 vs particulates, another thread I think), and my next purchase will be petrol, but I will wait for Hybrid, but right now the petrol engines available just don't cut it in the real world.

Semi rant over.

Petrol Caravelle 150bhp Manual

64.08 litres light to light.
375 miles to the tank.
Approx 26.6 mpg

That’s was a drive to the north east coast this weekend. I would say 90% motorway and cruising at the low to mid 8something ;)

I know people that have gone from diesel cars back to petrol, and then remark that they have to change down two, or three gears in a given situation, where the diesel required dropping down just one gear. That's the sort of situation i imagine with a fully laden 150 petrol.
LPG kits will be back in fashion soon, i guess.

Yes your exactly right.
I found that if someone pulls out in front of me at 65/70, you need to drop into 5 to keep the revs high to help it accelerate.
Not used to dropping gears on the motorway.

I'm not pro diesel, I'm not pro anything, but I am worried that my next van will have to be a petrol and will be less efficient and hard work to drive. Probably another 3 years away yet but the petrol engines are going to have to up their game if they are going into vans.

My return journey from the dealer yesterday returned 29.5mpg over 30 miles in stop-start traffic

Not really comparable to what I done.
Someone please get out in a 204. Drive a full tank up and down the motorway with your foot down and tell us what figures you record.
I’ve set the ball rolling, cmon peeps

Im going to Salisbury on Saturday, in ours (now on 400 Miles), which is a 3 hour round trip, and should give a good indication of the MPG. Today on a steady run, on back roads from Chichester to Pagham, it was averaging 30mpg. At the minute, the biggest issue is how addictive the power is - It really does motor along (and torque steer - far worse than the 204BiTDI), and this makes you put your foot down! General running about, town etc, and its around 24-25.

Its never going to be diesel efficient, but its not all about efficiency for some people.

Is it? Im taking as many enquires for petrol as I am for diesel at present. Obviously they will get more efficient as times goes on, and technology improves, so it helps....but for sub 10k miles a year, and the saving of the petrol vehicle price over diesel (£1000+VAT), its a close call.

Im glad we are all different :)

I think if i had the choice when i ordered i would have had the 204 petrol DSG mainly because i dont do any miles so fuel cost dont bother me really. my kombi does a 20 minute trip to work and then back 5 days a week, so not the best really for a diesel engine. Dont get me wrong i am well happy with my 150 DSG , it runs great, fast enough, and nice to drive, soi am quite content at the moment ;).

Your business is mainly campers I take it? They by definition do far less miles than your average delivery van, and therefore mpg is of less a concern to the owners of these campers. The AA or RAC's fleet of , hundreds or thousands of vans, mpg down to the decimal point is a very important factor to the people purchasing them. I myself do 30k+ a year and pay for every penny of the fuel, so mpg is a big factor.

I'm not trying to fall out with anyone or stand up for diesels, but I will say that the petrol engines available right now to all van manufacturers aren't up to the job. Maybe if all the research had gone into petrol engines over the last 10 years, and not diesel, we would be in a better place, but we're not unfortunately .

Is it? Im taking as many enquires for petrol as I am for diesel at present. Obviously they will get more efficient as times goes on, and technology improves, so it helps....but for sub 10k miles a year, and the saving of the petrol vehicle price over diesel (£1000+VAT), its a close call.

Im glad we are all different :)

Good point.
Factor in not having dpf filters, ad blue etc and Petrol does become a lot more tempting.
The current diesel range of engines from Volkswagen aren’t the best IMO

Back