Petition against punitive AppConnect charges

bu12

Hi all

I have begun a petition after discovering my local VW dealership in the UK charge £250+ for the activation of AppConnect.

AppConnect is nothing novel and should be factory default in all VW vehicles.

Anyway you can read my letter to VW in the content of the petition: Sign the Petition

I hope we can get them to scrap this ridiculous charge and get with the times!

Many thanks

Ben

I bought a brand new Mk7 Golf R a few years back. £30k or so. Despite that the bandits still wanted £250 odd to hook me up the AppConnect. I lived without it but it always irritated me.

VW have to pay a licence fee, it’s not a free service that Apple provide so the cost has to be passed on.

All the manufacturers have various infotainment features locked behind a paywall, it’s not unique to VW.

2yrs ago had same issue ...paid out an arm and a leg for a demo van...no Apple car play or app connect....VW Or should I say the dealers want the shirt off ur back and some !....
However when upgrading sound system was told i needed an amp for extra power for sub/rear speakers so decided to ditch the head unit and got a Kenwood which has all the power built in + Apple CarPlay + an app system ++++ but As far as costs go once you add what VW want to charge as extras the Kenwood seems a lot better value;)

Hi all

I have begun a petition after discovering my local VW dealership in the UK charge £250+ for the activation of AppConnect.

AppConnect is nothing novel and should be factory default in all VW vehicles.

Anyway you can read my letter to VW in the content of the petition: Sign the Petition

I hope we can get them to scrap this ridiculous charge and get with the times!

Many thanks

Ben

I have App Connect and it doesn't even work properly, so £250 is indeed a rip-off.

If they had to include it, they’d just put the price of the van up by £250. At least this way people get the choice if they don’t need/want it.

Is this for older models or something, as my on order t6.1 is supposed to come with app connect as standard

Is this for older models or something, as my on order t6.1 is supposed to come with app connect as standard
Yes I believe this is correct. All new t6.1 vans come with as standard.
Or at least that's that's what my local dealer said back in early march.

Do people who paid for AppConnect think it is worth the money? Waze seems like the biggest plus atm

Yes it’s 100% worth it.

Not sure I really see the argument against paying for it tbh. As mentioned above, it comes at a cost to VW so they cant exactly dish it out for free

Totally worth it for me. Waze for sat nav and Siri integration :thumbsup:

Back