Pet passport issued in France?

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Has anyone managed to get a pet passport issued in France? Seems (according to google) some vets will issue a passport despite the 3 month requirement and French address? Thanks.

Has anyone managed to get a pet passport issued in France? Seems (according to google) some vets will issue a passport despite the 3 month requirement and French address? Thanks.
40 quid at your local (friendly) vet. To be fait, my vet isn't really sure of the rules post brexit. Two passports work for me...EU and UK

Yes just the reason I was asking about EU issued pet passports.
Vet did discuss this with me but we will only use it once a year max, and he felt it wasn't worth it for us.
Hopefully in the future the UK will enter the pet passport scheme (there are currently non-EU countries that use it).

40 quid at your local (friendly) vet. To be fait, my vet isn't really sure of the rules post brexit. Two passports work for me...EU and UK
I presume you mean French vet? If so how did you get on with the 3 month rule and having a French address?

Hi, I think I've mislead you. I have a little place in France as well as my English address. You could try speaking to a local who may be willing to use hi/her address for you????

We did it in January but have a French address as well. I believe it's straightforward once you've got the microchip registered on the French system, for which you need a French address. We go 4-5 times a year and it saves us over a grand each year.

There is a really helpful FB group called Animal Health Certificates. Sometimes it's derailed a bit but it's very good at clarifying things. The situation in France is a bit mixed...

You could try the motorhome forums, e.g. MotorhomeFun, they have plenty of discussions but I've not paid attention to them.

We have just been to France with our dog. Fortunately her EU passport is still valid (she is a rescue) so all we had to do was get a rabies jab done whilst we were in France to maintain it for another 3 years.

We understand it is extremely unlikely that the French will issue a new passport without you having a French address. Some people have had success in Spain but they also appear to be tightening the rules.

If you need an AHC then Abbeywells in Folkestone have a good reputation.

Took our dog for a rabies vaccine last week and will be back to get his Animal Health Certificate (AHC) before our trip to France.

As I understand it the rabies vaccine given in the UK is valid for 3 years but we need a AHC done per trip, is that correct?

Whereas a rabies vaccine given in France is only valid for a year, but their pet passport is valid for 3 years. We could do that using my wife’s parents address in France but it seems to be a case of swings and roundabouts cost wise.

I know some Irish Vets will issue one. A bit easier to negotiate over the phone but does require a trip over to the emerald Isle every 3 years.

A UK rabies vaccination is valid for 3 years. If it’s the first vaccination you need to wait 21 days before you can travel on an AHC. Yes you need an AHC for each trip.

We just had a 3 year rabies vaccination in France as our dog has an EU passport. France do both 1 and 3 year vaccinations so you need to ask when booking.

Having an EU passport is much cheaper if you are a regular traveller and gives greater flexibility as you don’t have the 10 day and 4 month rule as with the AHC.

The pet passport is valid for life provided you keep up the rabies vaccinations and don’t let a UK vet write in the rabies section of an EU passport.

Last edited:
A UK rabies vaccination is valid for 3 years. If it’s the first vaccination you need to wait 21 days before you can travel on an AHC. Yes you need an AHC for each trip.

We just had a 3 year rabies vaccination in France as our dog has an EU passport. France do both 1 and 3 year vaccinations so you need to ask when booking.

Having an EU passport is much cheaper if you are a regular traveller and gives greater flexibility as you don’t have the 10 day and 4 month rule as with the AHC.

The pet passport is valid for life provided you keep up the rabies vaccinations and don’t let a UK vet write in the rabies section of an EU passport.

Very useful, thanks. Think we need to look into the French pet passport then as we do travel regularly and the requirement for a AHC every time could get expensive very quickly.

Back