PERSONALISED NUMBER PLATE - IMPACTS INSURANCE?

Be very careful.. if your vehicle is written off the plate belongs to the vehicle and the vehicle belongs to the insurer after payout ...I battled with my insurer to get it in writing that in the event of a write off claim I would be allowed the time to put the private plate back on retention... it was a real chew on

I would suggest if anyone had a personalised registration you clarify with your insurer so you don't run the risk of losing it
My Dad had a personal plate on a written off car (red Mondeo). The car was recovered with the plate and eventually put back on the road with the same personal plate. Dad got an identical coloured brand new replacement Mondeo complete with the same personal plate through his insurance. Some months later the written off car was turning up in Manchester, Merseyside & Devon racking up parking fines. DVLA had Dad as the registered keeper of a red Mondeo so all the fines came to him. He had the V5 for the new car. Eventually we were able to prove that the offending vehicle wasn't his. When we got the enforcement photos we could show that Ford had facelifted the Mondeo and that his red replacement was different than the car in the photos. It took a lot of sorting out and was very stressful for Dad who was being treated for terminal cancer at the time. I was pleased that Ford had facelifted the Mondeo in between his two cars and that I could sort it out for him. I reckon the original car was a "ringer" being used a a "pool car". Once the MOT became due the car seemed to disappear and we never heard any more about it. The police agreed to put a marker on the computer (PNC) so that either of the Mondeos could be stopped & checked.

Got mine changed because "it was only into 25 days of the insurance"...Not sure what would have happened after that other than me leaving them!

Changed mine 8 months into policy, no charge whatsoever. Insured with A plan.

Father In law wrote his car off with private plate. You discuss this at the outset with the insurance claims department, say you want to keep it, they arrange a transfer on to DVLA holding. The car gets issued with original plate which you may have to pay to get paid up. You buy new car and transfer plate from holding to new car. This is what happened with Admiral. Only thing it did was slightly prolong the process due to DVLA. If you dont do mention this when settling the claim, the insurance company keeps the number.

Back