Perimeter alarm

Marcusmacman

Hi,
Has anyone fitted a perimeter alarm ? I like the idea of tapping into the parking sensors plus adding some additional ones either side of my van which will bleep if someone is near whilst I’m sleeping inside.

Additionally, could this be expanded on to have them connected to an old smart phone via Bluetooth to ping you if activated, blip the van horn to warn them off, and trigger the front/rear parking camera to start recording?. Obviously would annoy the neighbours if you’re parking your van next to the curb at night.
Interested to hear any experience in this area.
cheers
Marcus

A mate of mine had one on a golf that used to bark out a warning to “move away from the vehicle”
Used to be popular in the 90s don’t hear of them much these days.

Car park spaces are so bloody small now it’d probably run your battery down constantly talking.

It’s more when I’m sleeping in the van with the family to be honest, I often sleep with the window slightly open for ventilation and would like to know if anyone is snooping around whilst I’m asleep. You hear these horror stories of people getting gassed and robbed, (whether there’s any truth in that I’ve not done my research) but just so I can sleep a little more soundly

I think battery drain is a good point. The vehicle Parking sensors take quite a bit of current so I’m thinking I’d need to use something less hungry and connected to the leisure battery. Problem is it could end up looking like the van has chicken pox

Clifford alarms used to do a sense and tell module which had a dual zone microwave sensor, so one radiating inside the vehicle which would trigger the alarm and then another that radiated around the perimeter to trigger the voice warning “the alarm will sound if you don’t back away”

Clifford alarms used to do a sense and tell module which had a dual zone microwave sensor, so one radiating inside the vehicle which would trigger the alarm and then another that radiated around the perimeter to trigger the voice warning “the alarm will sound if you don’t back away”

cheers I’ll give them a google. If it works in principle I could get it to trigger anything I guess. Probably just something discrete at first just to wake me and warn them, to multiple triggers detected and time to jump behind the wheel are spin off lol

Looking on the Clifford site they still sale dual zone sensors and a programmable voice module so you should be able to wire something up

It’s more when I’m sleeping in the van with the family to be honest, I often sleep with the window slightly open for ventilation and would like to know if anyone is snooping around whilst I’m asleep. You hear these horror stories of people getting gassed and robbed, (whether there’s any truth in that I’ve not done my research) but just so I can sleep a little more soundly

I think battery drain is a good point. The vehicle Parking sensors take quite a bit of current so I’m thinking I’d need to use something less hungry and connected to the leisure battery. Problem is it could end up looking like the van has chicken pox
I’ve slept in my van in some pretty dodgy places, you can get robbed anywhere van or otherwise. The stories about people getting gassed are complete bollox.
If you hear a beep while you‘re sleeping what’s the plan, go outside to get robbed quicker or go back to sleep?

There’s a YouTube channel called something like CycleCruza and it’s as redneck American as it sounds, but he sleeps in his van with his motorbike in some pretty dodgy areas and rigged up a 4 camera cctv system viewable on his tv screen. More work but would mean you could identify that noise and decide if it’s a threat or not without showing yourself.

I hope they are bollox like you say but it’s just to alert me that someone is outside my van/near my mountain bike (on the back of my van) . I wouldn’t necessarily go outside as I have two young children with me but hopefully they would be scared away but all that “what if scenario” is probably best for another post. Just wondering if anyone had any experience fitting a system that all.

Guess I’ll just have to get a dog. ☺

Last edited:
I hope they are bollox like you say but it’s just to alert me that someone is outside my van/near my mountain bike (on the back of my van) . I wouldn’t necessarily go outside as I have two young children with me but hopefully they would be scared away but all that “what if scenario” is probably best for another post. Just wondering if anyone had any experience fitting a system that all.

Guess I’ll just have to get a dog. ☺
Ah you have a bike on the back, that’s probably going to attract opportunists even in reasonable locations unless it’s obviously a run about for a quick scoot to the shops.
I’ve got a nice bike and a canoe but I know there is no way I can expect to find them on the van if I leave it unattended, just a sad fact of life.

Ah you have a bike on the back, that’s probably going to attract opportunists even in reasonable locations unless it’s obviously a run about for a quick scoot to the shops.
I’ve got a nice bike and a canoe but I know there is no way I can expect to find them on the van if I leave it unattended, just a sad fact of life.
They are decent bikes, 3 of them usually, if I could I’d have them inside the van but obviously there is no space. I know it’s hard to stop them especially organised gangs and I wouldn’t be stupid enough to confront them ( hmm ) but if a perimeter alarm triggered a quick blast of the horn or a light to come on it might deter them (probably not) ‍

I just thought it might be a good addition to my van (I still do) hopefully it never gets triggered with intent.

The perimeter alarms I have seen are not clever enough to distinguish between inside or out, so your sleeping in there will set it off every time someone moves.

Last edited:
The perimeter alarms I have seen are not clever enough to distinguish between inside or out, so your sleeping in there will set it off every time someone moves.

arrrh ok. I could probably make something myself as Im fairly handy in that area, I thought they would be more common than I expected and was hoping to piggy back on any existing designs. :)
Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
arrrh ok. I could probably make something myself as Im fairly handy in that area, I thought they would be more common than I expected and was hoping to piggy back on any existing designs. :)
Thanks again
That’s the thing about microwaves, the advantage is that they don’t need line of sight to detect in any direction, the disadvantage is that they don’t need line of sight to detect in any direction.

That’s the thing about microwaves, the advantage is that they don’t need line of sight to detect in any direction, the disadvantage is that they don’t need line of sight to detect in any direction.

brilliant :)

I’ll look into the current draw of proximity sensors, maybe just locate a few at strategic areas to cover the bikes, doors etc ....without them looking a dogs dinner.

Back