Pearl Black Swirl Marks...

The Bear78

145 000 miles and just broken in!
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Morning all.
I recently purchased a 2016 LWB Kombi in Pearl Black. She's done few miles and while mechanically sound the paintwork has evidently seen a few car washes...
I've been over the whole van a couple of times with a DA and a couple of different scratch removal compounds and while there's a marked improvement it still shows swirl marks in the sun.
I knew black was always going to be high maintenance but I wondered if anyone could offer advice on what to use? No doubt more polishing is required but the last thing I want to do is damage the base.
Cheers.

Morning all.
I recently purchased a 2016 LWB Kombi in Pearl Black. She's done few miles and while mechanically sound the paintwork has evidently seen a few car washes...
I've been over the whole van a couple of times with a DA and a couple of different scratch removal compounds and while there's a marked improvement it still shows swirl marks in the sun.
I knew black was always going to be high maintenance but I wondered if anyone could offer advice on what to use? No doubt more polishing is required but the last thing I want to do is damage the base.
Cheers.

hi Bear have a look at the Ultimate Finish web site it will show you some of the cars they work on and a desciption of what they do and the prep involved from cutting back the paint , machining and what to use and depleting cutting agents try a resin polish it will fill a lot of the grooves i got on well with FARECLA resin superwax on my bike paint work if that helps regards Nick

Firstly, any Black owner with little or no experience of correcting paint, should just let an experienced detailer do the work. This will pay dividends in the future.

As for keeping it swirl-less, in my experience that's just simply not possible. All an owner can do is cut down the potential to damage the surface by using all the normal methods that are well discussed on here.

My answer won't be much help and everyone has their own preferred methods and products. All I can say is swirls on darker colours are impossible to avoid and VWs paint isn't the best of finishes I'm afraid.

I would agree, my first black t6 had Mark's on delivery. Had it rectified and ceramic coated which made it 100% better. That's why my new one was not cleaned by the dealer. They removed the transport packing pieces and that was it.
Hoping to keep the paint better this time around but as tourershine stated it will happen.

My van’s an absolute mess with swirls. It looks great straight after a wash and wax - in the shade! As soon as the sun touches it, my heart just sinks as it’s covered in swirls. Damn you climate change! :mad:

My van’s an absolute mess with swirls. It looks great straight after a wash and wax - in the shade! As soon as the sun touches it, my heart just sinks as it’s covered in swirls. Damn you climate change! :mad:

That's the first time I've heard Climate change blamed for swirls :whistle:

Some car care products contain fillers that can help - I’ve read Autoglym SRP does.

The dilemma is that to remove all the swirls you need to remove lacquer therefore I’m happy to put up with a slightly less than perfect finish.

There we have it Team Black. Paint finish opinion from a Team Silver member, officially the best colour to own if swirls are not a thing :laugh:

SWMBO had a black car a few years ago and it played havoc with my car cleaning OCD.

Out of sight is out of mind and I sleep much better now she has a red one and me silver!

That said a proper detailed black or iridium van looks the dogs!

I'll have to look into a proper detail and coating when it becomes too much to take. The most frustrating thing is it looks at its worst when it's just been cleaned!

Back