Paying Spanish Speeding Fines

Pete C

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Thought I would put this here, in case it was of use to anyone else.

Today I received a speeding fine in the post from the Spanish DGT. It was incurred on our recent trip to Spain/Portugal. Apparently I was doing 113kmh in a 90kmh zone. I can't argue with them as I have no idea specifically where this was, but I tried to stick to speed limits during the whole 3 weeks.

Anyway, this is at the bottom end of their speeding seriousness, incurring a fine of 100 Euros. Apparently this is halved if you pay within 20 days of notification.

They offer multiple ways of paying, but I opted for the credit/debit card route, using their website.

Things that I learnt going through the process:

Where the letter says "Record Number", the website says "Document Number".

They seem to want 2 surnames on the website - just use yours twice, once in each field.

The Notification Date field just does not work using Safari or IE. I had to revert to Chrome on Windows to get it to work. I put the date that I got the letter in this field.

The system automatically applies the 50% discount to the fine amount - don't discount it yourself.

The actual putting in your card details is fine.

Hope this helps someone in the future - maybe they will tweak and fix their website to resolve these things in the future.

Pete

No, the letter was very official with references only I knew, and the rough location of the offence did correlate to the road we used on that date.
Also, there are other references to this website on the internet.

Pete

We are going back next year (unless anyone knows a land route way into Portugal that doesn't involve Spain :)).

Pete

Back