Passat roof leak..

Ricardo T

Now or Never
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi, Just wondering if anyone has any ideas where our Passat roof may be leaking....sometimes after rain, or like this morning, has not actually rained but very damp in the air, the headlining by the front passenger door sun visor is very damp with a few drips. Im guessing maybe the front fixing of the roof rail but not really sure.
I've tried removing the headlining grab handle on the inside above the door but cant shift that...in the hope I can carefully pull down the head lining to see but to no avail.
Any ideas?IMG_2648.jpeg
Thank you.

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has any ideas where our Passat roof may be leaking....sometimes after rain, or like this morning, has not actually rained but very damp in the air, the headlining by the front passenger door sun visor is very damp with a few drips. Im guessing maybe the front fixing of the roof rail but not really sure.
I've tried removing the headlining grab handle on the inside above the door but cant shift that...in the hope I can carefully pull down the head lining to see but to no avail.
Any ideas?View attachment 93874
Thank you.
Have you got a sun roof? Seem to remember that the drain channels can get blocked and cause leaking in.

Not to my knowledge prior to my ownership...but who knows...looks to be original... As you may see from the photo it has stained the headlining higher than the height of the screen and back towards the grab handle...wondering if there is some kind of fixing under the headlining attaching the front part of the roof rail...

Rear screen wiper hose broken? Not sure where it’s routed but it’s a common problem on A4s.

Good call....I need to do some further investigation under the trims I think.

Sorted I think....removed the sun visor and side grab handle and gently pulled down the front/side of the headlining and what should drop out but the nut from the front roof rail bolt!! Cleaned up and a small dab of silicone around the bolt on the outside and, touch wood, job done.

Back