Panel van Vs kombi suspension height difference

G11hws

T6 Pro
Hi all,

One t30 lwb panel van 16" wheels, one t30 swb kombi 17" wheels both loaded the same plus or minus 30kg and the kombi sits higher by 28mm front and rear. Allowing for the difference in wheel radius of 9mm the two are about 20mm difference. Does anyone know if the vans have different springs to the kombi ? Also we added 200kg ( two brothers) in the rear of the kombi and suspension only dropped 4mm wondering whether I have t32 springs fitted?

Hi all,

One t30 lwb panel van 16" wheels, one t30 swb kombi 17" wheels both loaded the same plus or minus 30kg and the kombi sits higher by 28mm front and rear. Allowing for the difference in wheel radius of 9mm the two are about 20mm difference. Does anyone know if the vans have different springs to the kombi ? Also we added 200kg ( two brothers) in the rear of the kombi and suspension only dropped 4mm wondering whether I have t32 springs fitted?
When you say loaded the same, are you referring to the bits you've put in, or the total weight of the vans?
I would guess they weigh similar amounts empty, one is LWB so extra metal, and the other more glass, seats etc. I think the springs are categorised by the axel weights; but on the T5 you could get a HD spring, but I think they were vw dealer fit bits and not factory. I don't know????. Are the published maximum axel weights the same on your two vans? Are the unloaded max heights (from the brochures) the same?

Check out your build sticker on the lower dash trim under the steering wheels, directly above pedals
The codes listed on it will show what springs are fitted to the vehicle, post a picture of the sticker and we can decipher it for you

@chriscroft, yes that's right weight added by us after delivery, interesting idea, I hadn't thought to look at the heights listed in the manual, will check now

@Pauly cheers, will grab a photo of the sticker

@chriscroft, they list the heights as both 1990mm floor to roof line, but the van has a higher load capacity of extra 100kg over the rear axle. Now I will have measure the heights side by side, hopefully when I can get a picture of the build sticker for the van as well it will show if there is a difference.

The important bits are circled in red.
The top code is the type of suspension fitted and the other two are the weight range/class of the front and rear springs
1BA = Standard suspension/shock absorption
0JF = Weight Range 6 (rear)
0YD = Weight Range 4 (front)
Its normal for the front to be 2 (kombi) or 3 (van) digits lighter
Theres a lot of info on this dark mysterious topic here - https://www.t6forum.com/threads/back-heavy-and-poor-traction.804/
Basically the final letter of the 3 digit code is the weight range where A = 1 and H = 8, there are also variations of the class of the suspension where 1BA is standard there is also 1BH & 2BB finishing (i think) in 2MK being the heavy duty stuff

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG
@Pauly , if you get a chance can you compare this data sticker with the kombi please. It appears to be different by one letter, could this explain the different suspension heights?
Cheers Glenn.

So it's basically the same suspension group/set but the final letter for the front is two letters back so equates to weight range 2 as opposed to weight range 4 on your other vehicle, rears are the same

Cheers @Pauly, most apreciatieted I think I will speak to the dealer and enquire about lowering it the same as a sportline, as the van seems to roll a bit less than the kombi.

So it's basically the same suspension group/set but the final letter for the front is two letters back so equates to weight range 2 as opposed to weight range 4 on your other vehicle, rears are the same
@Pauly I think its the front that is the same and the rears that are different, i.e. 0JF is the front axle and 0YB/0YD is the rear??

It has taken me a while to get the two parked together to give a comparison of the height difference
IMG_2946[1].JPG IMG_2942[2].JPG
measured from the ground up there is a 28mm height difference.

springs from the van stamped with AHL IMG_2917[1].JPG

springs from the kombi stamped with HEH IMG_2913[1].JPG

will they fit gives a rolling diameter difference of 17.4 mm (205 65 16 vs 235 55 17) so a radius difference of 8.7mm wheel centre to ground. thus leaving a difference of about 20mm.

Question is when i lower the kombi will it be 30mm from its height? (giving a net 10mm lower than the van) or
30mm from the height of the van giving potentionally 30mm plus 20mm, so a 50mm drop ? (giving a net 30mm lower than the van)

IMG_2947[1].JPG

IMG_2918[1].JPG

IMG_2916[1].JPG

IMG_2912[1].JPG

This is the question that prompted me to start my suspension survey. 'If I use this spring, what will the ride height be?'

As the springs are replaced, then its more about what height it will be, rather than a fixed 30mm lower that std - as what's std, it seems every van is different?

With a 30mm drop your ride height would be around 420mm from wheel centre vertically up to the wheel arch.

Attachments

• SS Latest.pdf
    133.1 KB · Views: 47
Cheers@montecha, just measured wheel centres front 460 rear 455 std suspension t30 swb kombi 235 55 17 Bridgestone tyres, so theoretically could see a 40 / 35mm drop if I go oem sport line.

As you have shown there is no baseline to work from as even the standard vans vary quite a bit, if only I could find a local based conversion company to fit the b14's.

I will add the details for the measurements of the van as well to go in the spreadsheet and the new details after having the kombi lowered.

Moe details for the spreadsheet, Panel van just measured wheel centres front 450 rear 430 std suspension t30 lwb van 205 65 16 hankook tyres.

Suspension on this one is firm but not too hard and very flat when cornering.

Suspension in the kombi is soft and rolls too much when cornering.

Thanks. I'll add that in, when you get new springs post the measurements up as well.

Back