Paid £75 (inc) to get a pair of unprimed genuine mirror caps sprayed in gloss black about this time last year. Very nice finish too.

I live in the poor north though. :laugh:

As in just the 2 top halves of a wing mirror? No removal of them, just handing them the caps to be painted?

As in just the 2 top halves of a wing mirror? No removal of them, just handing them the caps to be painted?
Yes, they’re brand new, just need taking out the bag and painting.

Yes, they’re brand new, just need taking out the bag and painting.

It does sound strong money, but working closely with a bodyshop, I can see why.

This all might be obvious to you, but others may not see where these types of prices come from. A good bodyshop will need to allow booth/oven time, prep, paint, flat and polish if needed.
So I can see why some places might be more expensive than others, depending on their normal day to day work.

Knowing what my bodyshop charges, I'd say between £80 and £100 is about right.

Don't you have anything else small that needs painting Indium Grey? You might find bundling a couple of other items doesn't push up the initial price too much if that makes sense.

Unfortunately on a tight lane i have scraped the wing mirror, top and bottom piece.
Does anyone have a part number for both pieces? And more importantly can i buy the top piece already colour coded in candy white ?
20200318_171707.jpg

Loads of new prepainted ones starting from £20 but not sure if the quality compared to the £80 original

So recently i scraped my wing mirror cover, i alreasy have some candy white spray paint so i cant decide whether to re-spray it or buy a new one ?
Is it worth re- spraying or sjould i just buy a new one ?
20200410_132536.jpg

I'd look at it like this.....
You already have some paint, so having a go yourself will cost almost nothing. If you don't have the prep stuff / clear coat I'm sure you can get some at minimal cost.
What have you got to lose, if you spray it yourself it can only look better than it does now and if you're not satisfied with the result, go to plan B.
Go on, have a go! :p
And don't forget to let us know how it goes!

I'd look at it like this.....
You already have some paint, so having a go yourself will cost almost nothing. If you don't have the prep stuff / clear coat I'm sure you can get some at minimal cost.
What have you got to lose, if you spray it yourself it can only look better than it does now and if you're not satisfied with the result, go to plan B.
Go on, have a go! :p
And don't forget to let us know how it goes!
What prep work would i need to do?

Right, first, I know that there are far more knowledgeable people than me on here so await their opinions.... (and remember that Youtube has dozens of expert instructional videos, I'm no expert!)
If it were me I'd rub it down with wet and dry, to smooth the area, using progressively finer paper, you need to rub down until you cannot feel the scratches when you rub your hand over it. Then wipe down with panel wipe to ensure a grease free surface prior to painting.
I'd actually take the trim off entirely and do the whole thing, rather than just trying to do the damaged area and fade it in to the rest.
Several thin coats of paint are much better than one or two thick coats which will run.

Right, first, I know that there are far more knowledgeable people than me on here so await their opinions.... (and remember that Youtube has dozens of expert instructional videos, I'm no expert!)
If it were me I'd rub it down with wet and dry, to smooth the area, using progressively finer paper, you need to rub down until you cannot feel the scratches when you rub your hand over it. Then wipe down with panel wipe to ensure a grease free surface prior to painting.
I'd actually take the trim off entirely and do the whole thing, rather than just trying to do the damaged area and fade it in to the rest.
Several thin coats of paint are much better than one or two thick coats which will run.
Thanks for your advice, i'll give it a go and see what what happens

Hi Everyone,

I foolishly keep catching / scuffing my wing mirror on my wall.

I've patched it up a few times, although wondered if anyone has a recommended 'Go To' for replacements.

Many thanks.

Rob

Hi Everyone,

I foolishly keep catching / scuffing my wing mirror on my wall.

I've patched it up a few times, although wondered if anyone has a recommended 'Go To' for replacements.

Many thanks.

Rob
Upper or lower?

Back