P0016 - crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor correlation error

BlayneKinley

T5.1
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Evening all,

I’ve had a search and not really found anything relatable to my issue. I’ll start with some van details below (forgive me for owning a T5.1 on the T6 forum but this forum offers much more valuable information and is a lot easier to navigate).

Transporter T5.1 2015
High line spec, 6 speed manual
Engine code: CAAC

The story starts with the normal coil flashing light, EGR insufficient flow warning. EGR replaced last weekend with the fault code cleared and all fixed and good. First motorway run and 5th or 6th gear cruising at 50mph (roughly 1500/1700rpm), foot down and the van pulls as normal but the coil light flashing again :( vans running perfectly up to 2000rpm and then once beyond 2000rpm coil light stops flashing and the van continues on as it should. Drop down to 50mph ish, foot down and it flashes again up until 2000rpm ish and then goes off again.

Fault code reads - “P0016 - crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor correlation error”

Any advice on what this could be? Van has not been driven since as my non mechanical mind tells me that could lead to or mean something more serious going on! Van starts fine, drives fine although fuel consumption seems to be a little high!

Cam-belt and water pump with auxiliary belt replaced 6/7 months ago if this sparks any clues to the error code.

I’m guessing if timing was off slightly I would have other symptoms, I.e. van not starting / running well but beyond that I don’t know much else. Is there anything I can do or check before I make a call into Bognor Motors.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I had the crankshaft sensor pack up on my T5 at about 90k. Symptoms were a ‘thunk thunk’ judder, then it would run fine for a while, then do it again at random. Eventually it just went ‘thunk’ and stopped, with crankshaft sensor error code. Replaced it with a new one, fine since.

Maybe crankshaft sensor is on its way out and missing a beat? I’m not an expert, so could be typing utter guff.

Thanks for the input @drinfinity

Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated. I’m not the biggest mechanical guy but I successfully replaced my EGR valve last week so I like to consider myself a little handy if there’s anything I could tinker with to fix this or check prior to booking it in.

Im kind of guessing that the sensor or sensors may need replacing but unsure if it’s potentially a plug I could locate and clean to check connections or something along those lines.

Fault code reads - “P0016 - crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor correlation error”
Cam-belt and water pump with auxiliary belt replaced 6/7 months ago if this sparks any clues to the error code.
My first guess would be these might well be related. The timing is threesome deal - camshaft, crankshaft and high pressure fuel pump. Any prolonged hot starts?
VCDS certainly would help to diagnose....

The crankshaft sensor is a plug into the crankcase held on with a simple bolt. It’s deeply buried though, so you have slide the radiator assembly forwards to get at it. Camshaft I guess is easier to find.

My first guess would be these might well be related. The timing is threesome deal - camshaft, crankshaft and high pressure fuel pump. Any prolonged hot starts?
VCDS certainly would help to diagnose....
What do you mean when you say prolonged hot starts? The van always turns over and starts as it should, wether it is hot or cold I’ve never had an issue with turning it over and running.

I guessed VCDS would be bought up :( I don’t own this but I think I need to invest in this. My local garage helps me a lot but he owns a Snap On Solus Ultra and unsure if this can give read out that would assist with this?

What do you mean when you say prolonged hot starts?
Basically poor/no start when hot - or not consistent starting.
E.g. a few here with fault P0016
A few selected ones...
Then a T5 (CAAC engine), however unresolved

Snap On Solus Ultra and unsure if this can give read out that would assist with this?
Probably yes - perhaps under PID are measurement blocks similar to VCDS. Perhaps something related to Camshaft adaptation...

Basically poor/no start when hot - or not consistent starting.
E.g. a few here with fault P0016
A few selected ones...
Then a T5 (CAAC engine), however unresolved

Probably yes - perhaps under PID are measurement blocks similar to VCDS. Perhaps something related to Camshaft adaptation...
Wow… I can’t thank you enough @mmi for taking the time to respond with such valuable information, way more than I found after an hour of googling the last few evenings. I’ve had a quick scan but will look over this, this evening. I do believe this sits outside of my mechanical skills though so I’ll leave to the experts and get it booked in. I will report back once fixed though as I currently have no symptoms other than the flashing coil light!

Reactions: mmi
Wow… I can’t thank you enough @mmi for taking the time to respond with such valuable information, way more than I found after an hour of googling the last few evenings. I’ve had a quick scan but will look over this, this evening. I do believe this sits outside of my mechanical skills though so I’ll leave to the experts and get it booked in. I will report back once fixed though as I currently have no symptoms other than the flashing coil light!
@mmi is a genius - it’s as simple as that!

My van is booked in at @BognorMotors Tuesdsy 23rd for diagnosing. I will report back after with more details I’ll ensure I finish off the thread with as much detail as possible in case any others end up here researching this fault code / topic

Van has been in to the garage today and is returning in a couple weeks for the works to be carried out. Unfortunately bit of a bugger of a job as it could be either sensor has failed / failing or a slack timing belt. It’ll be a process of elimination job to see which sensor has failed.

But….

I’ve only just thought about this and unsure if anyone knows or has experienced a similar issue, bare in mind I’m hypothetically thinking. I’ve recently fitted a new EGR valve that I purchased from Euro car parts, could the fact that this is a non genuine part potentially throw up other errors on the van?

The EGR valve is purchased is the following item; here’s hoping not everything from Euros is a Chinese copy

ERA EGR Valve | Euro Car Parts

Reactions: mmi
Morning guys. A little bit of a boring closer to this fault. To summarise for anyone stumbling across this at a later date. My van details below;

Transporter T5.1 2015
High line spec, 6 speed manual
Engine code: CAAC

Van fault code: P0016 - crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor correlation error

Mechanic had confirmed that it could be any of the following;
- Timing (stretched or misaligned)
- Crankshaft sensor faulty
- Camshaft sensor faulty
- Crankshaft pulley alignment key (apparently a common fault my mechanic has rectified on many Transporters). The key way to align the pulley wears down slightly over time meaning there is slight play on the pulley and connecting shaft.

These were the only points raised to my attention that it could have been, there might be other possible errors or mechanical faults leading to this but the above was the only info passed on to myself. Online research as @mmi posted above (Thank you for your assistance) was what I and other had found but not much closure on resolutions.

In my case, I had purchased this van 2nd hand in 2019, it was creeping towards 4 years of age with 28,000 miles on clock. I had the timing belt, water pump etc all completed at time of purchase. Unfortunately the timing was misaligned (out by 1 tooth) when completed so when my mechanic took it all apart again he had spotted this and rectified. Fault completely cleared and hasn’t returned

Symptoms….
I didn’t notice any symptoms of an error in timing other than the coil pack light would flash. This was only apparent driving the van above 50mph on the motorway under accelerating load or uo a hill at speed. No change in the engine or performance just the light flashing and returning P0016 code. Cruising around leisurely including motorway driving I had no fault flashing light or symptoms that the van timing was misaligned. It would always start first time hot or cold, it would drive perfectly.

Hopefully this will help others along the line!

Had this on my 16 plate euro 5 . It was the crankshaft pulley worn.
mine was the same as yours to start with then it wouldn’t start when hot.
I had to wait a good half hour to restart so could not afford to stall it.

Back