OZ Racing Rally Raid alloys 17’s

cheers mate, and noise levels?

wonder what my revs will be at 70 with a 5sp manual?

willtheyfit website has very different size ratios to 2%

it is suggesting a -7% speedo error

View attachment 162869

or are you saying that the speedo under reads by 2%. so,

60mph is actually 58mph, which then closer matches to the 55.88 (call it 56mph) with the new larger tyres?

#brainache.....
I said 7% and 2mph above.
Noise, quietest ATs I've ever had.

ok, so in simple terms the larger tyre corrects the 2mph under read on the speedo. so 60mph on the speedo will be true to GPS of 60mph
whereas on OEM tyres, 60mph on the speedo was actually 62mph ?

(sorry to go on and on like Aswad........)

ok, so in simple terms the larger tyre corrects the 2mph under read on the speedo. so 60mph on the speedo will be true to GPS of 60mph
whereas on OEM tyres, 60mph on the speedo was actually 62mph ?

(sorry to go on and on like Aswad........)
No. 60mph on the speedo would be 58mph real speed. OEM speedo slways over optimistic.

lol, OK, totally confused.
But taking everyones real life experience I will believe you. :)

might get normal road tyres in 235/6517 rather than AT's. I don't do any driving in fields etc. But do want the comfort of the larger tyres and of course the looks :cool:

lol, OK, totally confused.
But taking everyones real life experience I will believe you. :)

might get normal road tyres in 235/6517 rather than AT's. I don't do any driving in fields etc. But do want the comfort of the larger tyres and of course the looks :cool:
some all seasons could work for you then? something like the michelin cross climate argilis would give more of the look but still a road tyre?

As mentioned by all, availability of AT tyres I suspect is the primary reason most went for oversize. I only very briefly ran a standard size before making the switch, but I would say I noticed a difference in the gearing, and I do have the DSG map on my shopping list. I’m used to it now but the gear choices by the DSG can sometimes feel odd. It may just be the standard map anyway though.

Scorpions for me have been excellent and no noise. They look great and are very well mannered on the road. I think these AT tyres come with a much deeper tread than a road tyre (might be speaking rubbish here), so expect them to last quite a bit longer despite seemingly higher up front cost. I’m due to rotate mine next month.

I don’t know if oversizing road tyres would be worthwhile if you can get your tyre choice in the standard size! It will fill the arch more though I suppose so there would be something in it looks-wise. On a 4mo you will have the issue of needing a matching spare. I think Loz runs about with strings which is an option I’ve also considered. I have never had problems with my scorpions on the road (where they live 99% of the time) and I bought mainly for look. I got mine from Rogue Alloys who did a good deal on the package with the scorpions. I suspect Bognor will be able to get you the same setup as well.

Might as well pull these pics into this thread too, and a bonus one. I do love these wheels and tyres!!:

side.jpg

Last edited:
what wheel nut / bolt type do I need for the OZ alloys?
aaannndd what tyres pressures you all running them on?:uh run:

they’re tapered (originals are radiused) I ordered a set with the wheels.
45psi all round.

thanks, have messaged @MAT@VWT5UPGRADES to see if his wheels ship with wheel nuts.
I have a set of tapered nuts, but they are longer than standard by 15mm, so probably too long?

67242SUB is the McGard set I’m running. Just looked and they are even pricier these days though, disappointingly at the price, the locking bolts have rust as well.

Think I’m 45psi all round also but stuck my rears up to 48.5psi for a fully loaded family holiday recently (4mo Caravelle). When doing this I noticed some mention of 50psi max to maintain the load rating.

Just checking before I fit. The Wildpeaks aren’t directional are they ?

67242SUB is the McGard set I’m running. Just looked and they are even pricier these days though, disappointingly at the price, the locking bolts have rust as well.

Think I’m 45psi all round also but stuck my rears up to 48.5psi for a fully loaded family holiday recently (4mo Caravelle). When doing this I noticed some mention of 50psi max to maintain the load rating.

Out of interest, what brought you to the figure if 45psi?
Sounds quite high. Other recommendations I’ve seen for very similar tyre size is around the 41psi mark.

And how easy is it to raise the ride height on STX suspension? Is it a DIY job?

Last edited:
How does it ride? I think it looks pretty spot on at that height - depends if you need more clearance or not.

It rides really well. Slightly less pointy than with the 18’s but that’s to be expected.

No rubbing. Just thought aesthetically it looked a bit low compared to others on this thread.

There is zero road noise increase from the 18’s.

Super happy I made the change.

Out of interest, what brought you to the figure if 45psi?
Sounds quite high. Other recommendations I’ve seen for very similar tyre size is around the 41psi mark.

And how easy is it to raise the ride height on STX suspension? Is it a DIY job?
45psi for me was a starting point based on what I knew Loz was running as the exact same set up. I can’t imagine massive differences in weights between me and Loz either. Certainly at least not over the front axle. I’ve since just kept and eye on how the tyres have looked and worn.

Back