Overnight Suggestions near Folkestone and Clermont-Ferrand please?

Ian28

T6 Guru
Planning an overland trip to Barcelona for a music festival in June and need to find stopovers near the Eurotunnel in England and half way down France near Clermont-Ferrand. No need for hook-up. Any recommendations would be great thanks, Ian.

For the tunnel The Drum is the classic:

Clermont Ferrand is lovely. This place is good, although no toilets:

Also check out Puy Du Dome if you’re in that neck of the woods - it’s amazing. And if you have time Oradour sur Glane is very interesting.

There's a Camping and Caravan Club site at Folkestone which is on the beach and about 10 minutes from the tunnel. We found it perfectly OK for a night and early start last September BUT as far as I am aware, there's nowhere within walking distance for food / drink so be prepared to self-cater (or I think you can order food for delivery). FWIW, we will probably be using it again the next time we head under the channel which I hope won't be too far away now.

In October we stayed here, for just one night, just outside Clermont Ferrand. It seemed a decent site, the facilities were certainly very clean. It was end of season, so was quiet and all we did was basically park for the night. If passing there, I would stop again though.

51614775851_2ce9dc295a_c.jpgCamping Huttopia 2 by Nigel G, on Flickr

51614774721_d03142e993_c.jpgCamping Huttopia by Nigel G, on Flickr

Not sure what route you are taking to Barcelona but IMO the area just SW of Clermont Ferrand is by far the best area in France, along the Dordogne valley.
There‘s a nice Huttopia in Sarlat la Caneda

If you don’t make it to CF, Bourges is a nice little city to stop at on the A71. We have been travelling (pre camper and covid) down this way to Perpignan yearly but to be honest since the kids were young I’ve been driving through the night and not stopping. So easy at night (10hrs Calais to Spanish border) compared to daytime holiday travel in the summer but you do miss some beautiful scenery.

Planning an overland trip to Barcelona for a music festival in June and need to find stopovers near the Eurotunnel in England and half way down France near Clermont-Ferrand. No need for hook-up. Any recommendations would be great thanks, Ian.
We’re off to Primavera too!

Booked a night at The Drum Inn as looked perfect for the early start for the tunnel. Decided I’ll use Park4Night to find an Aire somewhere just south of Clermont-Ferrand. I’d never heard of these things before (having rarely been to France) but sounds cheap/free and perfect for a short stopover en route to Barcelona.
Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated.

Back