Only 25kms Driving In France - So Do I Really Need.....???

FAC51

I've avoided driving in through France by choice on all other trips we've made, but now we have to do 25kms before we cross into Belgium.

I understand the France requires me to carry an assortment of driving related items with the van, legally. My question to the forum is do I really need these for such a short distance in terms of mileage and whats the chance of being collared by one of Inspector Clouseau colleagues.

Thank you

I saw a family fixing a flat tyre on the side of a French toll road this year.

No warning triangle, and not one of the 8 ocupants was wearing a high vis top whilst stood at the roadside.

High vis vests are just a good idea wherever you are driving.

Don't forget your breathalyser kit. Also law in France....honestly.

Been driving in France for years as the better half is a froggy and never ever been checked. Saying that, its when you don't have it you're bound to get pulled.
Hi vis vest etc should be in the van anyway as people have quite rightly said.

I'm in france near daily, forget the alco test, if you do get stopped it's a few euro fine. No one bothers

Are you on a UK plate? Consider it a target sign! Bulbs, hi-viz and unopened alcohol test kit! Simple.

funnily enough, the bulbs don’t have to fit....you just gotta have them!!!

The 2 breath test kits were passed into law but, as so often with the French, they say "pfaa!".
Definitely have a warning triangle and yellow vest though. I wouldnt bother with spare bulbs, fuel stations stock them.

Not anymore. It became ‘recommended’ several years ago. I think because of the relatively short expiry, but no longer a requirement.
High vis, bulb kit, triangle are must have items.

Things might be a little different after 31st and you'll need more than just the recommended euro driving kit.

Common sense says you ought to carry them in the UK so what's the problem?

Reactions: DXX
The fines for not carrying breathalysers in France kept getting put off and put off and were never actually introduced. The law has actually been dropped altogether now. The warning triangle and hi vis waistcoat are common sense additions anyway though even if they weren't required.

Last edited:
You are more likely to get stopped for speeding with the new lower speed limits, especially in the villages along the N routes, so stay alert.

Been driving in France for years as the better half is a froggy and never ever been checked. Saying that, its when you don't have it you're bound to get pulled.
Hi vis vest etc should be in the van anyway as people have quite rightly said.
No it’s not, after the breathalyser test was ruled in, they realised nobody could make them fast enough to supply so forget that one

I've avoided driving in through France by choice on all other trips we've made, but now we have to do 25kms before we cross into Belgium.

I understand the France requires me to carry an assortment of driving related items with the van, legally. My question to the forum is do I really need these for such a short distance in terms of mileage and whats the chance of being collared by one of Inspector Clouseau colleagues.

Thank you
You may not get points but you will get one hefty fine if you are pulled over with out any/all the kit you are required to carry by French law

Alco test is not required bu not law anymore however high vis vests are plus in winlter you will need snow chains regardless of whether you need them or not.

Brought a set for the Q5, still brand new, never used but I knew that my arse was covered if I needed them or I was pulled over.
My advise play it safe, you may not need the kit this time round you but you may need them in the future.

PS:
Don’t forget about the lower speed limits when it’s raining. We saw a lot of drivers pulled who flew past us at the normal dry speed limit.

You are more likely to get stopped for speeding with the new lower speed limits, especially in the villages along the N routes, so stay alert.
The lower speed limits seem very slow in certain places, I found that about 80% of French drivers don’t follow them anyway and if you do it just creates a hazard with crazy overtaking situations.
As for the mandatory kit, it’s a few quid and common sense to carry anyway.

plus in winlter you will need snow chains regardless of whether you need them or not.

Brought a set for the Q5, still brand new, never used but I knew that my arse was covered if I needed them or I was pulled over.

Only on roads that's have the designated snow chain symbol, .majority of french dont even bother with winter tyres so forget chains as a general requirement

Back