One lass and her van - panel van conversion

Had a day off yesterday so got on with more of the electrics. I’ve moved all the oem electrics into one side of the passenger seat to free up the other compartment for storage. Still to wire in the RCD and make the final connections to the leisure battery but passenger seat is back in and B pillars back on which feels like a major milestone !

Feel it’s a bit messy and using up so much space ....not sure if there is anything I can do ?

Was thinking of making a board to go over the electrics to hide them and to give some storage space above but not sure if it’s ok to box them in like that ?

Lesson leaned the hard way:
Crimp connectors from B&Q are crap !

8FB5E974-0CF8-4233-A022-8B16D75FCF64.jpeg

8069D6D0-43B6-45DC-B1DB-CA744A24198A.jpeg

AA801317-C9CD-4614-A940-6EE42048CC99.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
After a few weeks of being scunnered at working on the van day in day out I’m back on it.
managed to get the front seats all fitted and the van back to being able to drive having been off the road for about 5 weeks. I’m really pleased with the seat covers I got from veedubs. Clearly not as good as getting them professionally recovered but at a 1/3 of the price they will do for me. I’m also really pleased the van drove again and I had no electrical faults especially having disconnected all the wires!

had a helper for the day !:x3:

F7ED32F9-E4CD-4D33-AFD2-1374B2E5B030.jpeg

96523A8A-C7A3-494C-8DFD-5D48270FE3AD.jpeg

0C60C5F9-C881-45DC-96E2-798143FAD4AB.jpeg

C1E16456-325A-4E89-8E6C-D7D4D81431F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Other job I’ve completed (thank god!) was to sound deadening and insulate the cab. Love the token piece of sound deadening material VW supply:rolleyes: no wonder it sounds so much better now !!

F479A648-CEC0-4058-87C8-27C36E59BB97.jpeg

19C87026-A486-4932-96CD-72ED9BD994F4.jpeg

379C151C-1DE4-4B8E-80AB-2B79136FC050.jpeg

Yesterday I cut holes in the floor ply for the seats then fitted the ply. Woke this morning to realise I’m going to have to list it all again so I can clean all the metal shards off once I cut the holes in the van for the seat brackets !! :oops::mad: Maybe I’ll get away with taping round the area.

48050C4D-A260-49C6-9773-B7DE24CDF3E3.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
After a few weeks of being scunnered at working on the van day in day out I’m back on it.
managed to get the front seats all fitted and the van back to being able to drive having been off the road for about 5 weeks. I’m really pleased with the seat covers I got from veedubs. Clearly not as good as getting them professionally recovered but at a 1/3 of the price they will do for me. I’m also really pleased the van drove again and I had no electrical faults especially having disconnected all the wires!

had a helper for the day !:x3:

View attachment 110976

View attachment 110977

View attachment 110981

View attachment 110982
we found the single passenger front was a great addition with our dog especially when travelling abroad as he wraps himself around the aircon vents, great write up though hope you get completed for next month.

I’ve still got my cab roof to do, does it make much difference to the noise when driving, is removal of the headliner straight forward and how many sheets of silent coat is needed?

I’ve literally just did this job today on my T6 conversion.

Removal is fairly straight forward, remove the sun visors, two hidden screws in the centre roof lights and the coat hanger handles. To make easier I removed the seat belt bolts, B pillar trims and the joining strip in the roof where the cab roof meets the load bay also. Then just a case of easing it out. Don’t forget to release the electric connectors for the roof lights also, you’ll see these once the liner is moving free. Might be an easier way but that’s the way I was told by a fellow member and was happy how it went.

Can’t comment on the noise yet as I’m still doing mine but having done my door cards in the front I can tell you they alone made a nice difference.

Great work on the build OP :)

I’ve still got my cab roof to do, does it make much difference to the noise when driving, is removal of the headliner straight forward and how many sheets of silent coat is needed?
Yes its made a big difference both in noise levels and in warmth. I think it was about 10 sheets I used of dodomat - you can almost count them all in the picture, clearly some were cut up into smaller pieces. It was straight forward enough but as with every job you go to do you need to do about 10 others before you can get to the thing you want to do!!
The trims on the B pillars were already off when I did mine as were the rubber seals round the doors and the trims on the A pillars which was why I decided to do it.
The hidden screws in the centre light had me baffled for a while as I didn't know they were there and couldn't figure out what was stopping the headliner coming off. Its a pain having to take the door handles and sun visors off but all in all it was straight forward enough. Mine actually went back in better than it was fitted before I removed it

The next plan was to replace all the door seals but somebody on here ( @Stockwell Camper) posted a picture of nice new door steps with lights that got me distracted ........
a few days later and several wire switches around I had the same new door steps fitted :)
Door seals were fitted after but what a pain those were round the front of the cab doors- had to take off the A pillar trims to fit, so what I thought would be a 10 minute job turned into about 2 hours all in !

Lessons learned the hard way:
Never trust that the oem has wired things up correctly !
Don‘t use a screw driver to try and lever on the door seal ... it rips it !

View attachment 108485

View attachment 108486

View attachment 108487
Those look awesome where did you get them from please?

It makes big difference as it’s right next to your ears.
You’ll have space for 2mm Silent Coat and 2x 10mm or 20mm self adhesive acoustic foam.

How is your van looking nowadays @fidav ? Assume it got finished.
Would be good to see more pics of the layout and any of the handsome doggo (fellow vizsla owner here) :)

Back