New RR 20” wheels - terrible MPG!!!!

Jules, I've just driven to the Alps in our 204 4motion on ACC at roughly 85. I expect we got about 27mpg.

More detail - travelling down from Leeds to Folkestone was 29.5. Calais to the Alps at 80+ more often 86/87 on ACC it dropped to 25.65.

80 mph+? Well there's your answer. I did exactly the same journey before Xmas in my 140 DSG Kombi and got 725 miles before I needed to fill up, and then couldn't get more than 60 litres in. I drove at bang on 70 in the UK and 75 in France.

On the way back, I set the cruise at 85 an got nowhere near those figures, but I had to be in London for a job. Anything over 75mph in these things is just a killer, and I'd like to bet in a twin turbo, the second turbo will be spinning and sucking up the juice.

Two years ago in a Discovery 3.0 V6 bi-turbo with a roof box on, four adults, two kids and all our luggage we got 19mpg out of a tank at 90. Got back quickly tho!

Yep, the last leg, Reims to Calais was a blur as I was chasing the tunnel. All bets were off by that stage. Nothing compares to our dashes back to Blighty in my old A6 quattro though.. 3.0 TDI, I don't think there has been a better engine for that sort of thing.

3 litre engines are really un
necessary these days. I've had plenty of them but smaller engines are more than capable now

Not sure I quite agree, power per litre has increased lots meaning we can get away with smaller displacements. The Disco had 255bhp compared with the Cali's 204bhp for 50% less capacity. Torque is down by 25% though and also vibrations from a 4cyl engine are increased. Impressive from 2l tho.

Four cylinder engines are mostly characterless, whiny white goods engines.
Far prefer sixes; ideal blend of torque and responsiveness.

Merc gets 380bhp from a 2.0. Mitsubishi got 440bhp from one. Mega numbers, unpleasant engines.

Agreed. More cylinders needed. More power cycles per rotation for a smoother delivery and less emissions...to an extent.
I admire bmw for being great 6 cylinder engine designers that produce a good compromised blend of great power, great delivery and economy both in diesel and petrol.

Leave the 4 cylinders to the Japanese. Vtec yO!

My last car was an A5 3.0tdi 204ps, so not any more 'powerful' than the 2.0 Biturbo. But it delivered its power in a beautifully linear way with no peaks or lags right through to 5k rpm. Also delivered 50mpg+ without any of the nursing that I find myself doing with the T6 to obtain 40mpg.

Our 286bhp 335d had a fine motor too but it definitely wasn't massively economical.
I purposefully got a very low key SE on 17s so it looked like a 318d.
Shocked a few attempted boy racers with it...

Reactions: CRD
The missus is getting her new merc e class 350d amg delivered on Friday, 3 litre 6 cylinder which gives 258 hp and hopefully 50 (ish ) mpg.... And some very nice toys added....
It's still not my van tho !!! ;)

Had the very smooth V6 3.0tdi 272bhp in my Audi A6 black edition. Could get 50mpg from it when being uber careful. Normally somewhere between 35 and 40. However, tow the RIB anywhere and it would plummet to 19! At least with the van, as it is already cutting the hole in the air for the trailer, when towing it does not drop below 35.

The missus is getting her new merc e class 350d amg delivered on Friday, 3 litre 6 cylinder which gives 258 hp and hopefully 50 (ish ) mpg.... And some very nice toys added....

I had a 2010 C350CDI AMG Sport Estate which wasn't 258hp at the time, more like 230hp I think. I never got anywhere near the claimed fuel economy - I think the average through ownership was about 36mpg - compared to 39 so far for my van.

On a long run our 3 litre, six cylinder, turbo 320bhp PETROL BM can easily do 40mpg.
And it's lower emissions than a Suzuki Jimny.

Quite impressive.

I did average 8mpg on a track though.

the point I was getting at is a 2 litre engine ,although no where near as refined as a 3 litre engine, in most respects is powerful enough for nearly anything you can throw at it these days , not like 15 years ago when there was a massive difference between the two.

A straight six is a great engine because it is inherently the most naturally balanced configuration. Unfortunately 4 cylinder turbos deliver better economy, weigh less, take up less space and cost less to produce so everything is heading that way. They are producing bonkers power outputs now, like the AMG A45 which gets 381 BHP and 475 NM out of a 2 litre 4 cylinder production engine. They can be made to sound OK as well, like the A45 or Golf R.

No idea how the manufacturers are going to produce great sounding cars in future when everything is going to be either hybrid or all electric.

I just got reminded of this brilliant Caterham video

I had a2litre golf r four motion , and it did about 17 to the gallon if you were lucky , had to get rid of it as everyone on the road wanted to race you

I had a2litre golf r four motion , and it did about 17 to the gallon if you were lucky , had to get rid of it as everyone on the road wanted to race you
Yeah, but to be fair if you are caning a car that produces 300 BHP thats what is going to happen

Back