New RR 20” wheels - terrible MPG!!!!

Is anyone else experiencing this.

I get get 240miles or of the first half of the tank. Then It steadily goes down to one 3rd left. At this point I'm on 320miles on the trip and the range is saying 160miles left. 80 miles later I'm refilling as range reaches zero. Every tank does this. The last 3d of a tank literally counts down in front of my eyes.

What was the regen software thing all about? Did it go wrong? or was it a dealer general update?
When I went in for egr warning light they updated the egr software but also carried out a battery drain software update and another which updated the software which controls the regeneration. Since then it does not come on so often, it was kicking in after every short trip.so there must be an update on their service system don't know which vans or build dates it covers.

When I went in for egr warning light they updated the egr software but also carried out a battery drain software update and another which updated the software which controls the regeneration. Since then it does not come on so often, it was kicking in after every short trip.so there must be an update on their service system don't know which vans or build dates it covers.
Useful to know; I'll call my dealer and check.

My regen comes on loads even after slow motorway journeys, surely this can't be right.
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the regen? Obviously means regeneration of some sort but what do I say to my dealer when I take the Van in for an oil service next week?

I'm going into vw van centre Leicester tomorrow to talk about the poor economy and see if they can do a software check. Pauly on here already did a check for me in the computer with my vin and nothing came up.

Something isn't right.

The last 2 tanks I have driven so carefully and kept it to 65mph max and stayed off throttle as much as possible. I got 30mpg on both and it's so boring and difficult trying to drive economically. At least in my old t5.1 I could hoon it everywhere and get 35mpg.

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the regen? Obviously means regeneration of some sort but what do I say to my dealer when I take the Van in for an oil service next week?
The Diesel Particulate Filter (and EGR valve) need to get properly hot to "clean" themselves; generally short journeys don't let it get hot enough so it can "force" a regeneration (basically a self clean); this involves the fan going a bit mad usually after you've stopped but it can happen on the move; the power will drop slightly. A lot of hot air also spews out the side and it generally makes a massive fuss to tell you off for daring to do a short journey.

Apparently modern diesel vehicles can't do short journeys...

The Diesel Particulate Filter (and EGR valve) need to get properly hot to "clean" themselves; generally short journeys don't let it get hot enough so it can "force" a regeneration (basically a self clean); this involves the fan going a bit mad usually after you've stopped but it can happen on the move; the power will drop slightly. A lot of hot air also spews out the side and it generally makes a massive fuss to tell you off for daring to do a short journey.

Apparently modern diesel vehicles can't do short journeys...
First time I noticed it I thought the damn van was on fire, the heat coming out from under the van was incredible!

Ah, cheers @Polzeylad the noise certainly winds me up, sounds like a bloody hovercraft coming in to land! Do I need to do anything or will the dealership pick this up if need be?

The final death throes of the diesel engine incarnation, me thinks:thumbsdown:

I tend to think this too, but does every other manufacturers Euro 6 diesel engines go through the same song-and-dance DPF regen routine as the VW?

With the ad-blue system, I was hoping the dpf wouldn't have to work as hard; but it seems to want to work as hard as hell.

With the ad-blue system, I was hoping the dpf wouldn't have to work as hard; but it seems to want to work as hard as hell.
I understood that the EGR system was under far less stress (and runs cooler) but not convinced.
My BM and Subaru; start, drive whatever distance you want. Stop. No "guilt" or stupid fan nonsense (unless I utterly thrash them).

Our most inconvenient forced regen was in 39 degrees in Portugal; hot air and a burning hot floor really were NOT needed after we dared only drive two miles back from a restaurant...

Is anyone else experiencing this.

I get get 240miles or of the first half of the tank. Then It steadily goes down to one 3rd left. At this point I'm on 320miles on the trip and the range is saying 160miles left. 80 miles later I'm refilling as range reaches zero. Every tank does this. The last 3d of a tank literally counts down in front of my eyes.
@RattyMcClelland , something has to be seriously wrong. Mine has done 240 miles since last brimming of the tank; needle shows around 3/8's of a tank have been used.

well.......took mine in for headlights checking and mentioned fans and regen....they did the software update. Doesn't seem to happen as much now. It'll be interesting to see if fuel consumption is affected? Got to say, dealer was brill.

Back