Older V-Dubs

Sorry to be dragging this post on, had an evening bare metaling paint and cutting away old repairs just rear quarters to fit that we have. Having issues with front panel useless couriers have lost front panel and as usual denying all knowledge. Will be glad if things ever get back to normal and the couriers have to actually give a service.
Not impressed.

Attachments

• IMG-20210518-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210518-WA0003.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 18
Started this guy for the first time in 4 years a couple of weeks back... got a short list of things to do, oil change, hoses, seals, link pins, cylinder head, new tyres, just enough to get him back on the road.

We’ve got 74 in need of rebuilding... I need to learn to weld first!

View attachment 113261

View attachment 113262
Spotted by Paul, my senior tech, at Devils Dark not so long ago

A5F76359-F229-4C8E-AD1C-103F0987EF91.jpeg0BD0E0B1-E981-461A-BFCD-2D73E2174B48.jpegC014A8E6-4D1F-4824-BF1E-90F2380E2388.jpeg

Finally managed to get the new fuel system and electric pump up and running today. Just need to get the interior back in and give it a really good clean and a polish before the Classics at the Clubhouse Air-cooled Edition show on the 27th June.

IMG-3238.jpg

IMG-3239.jpg

Finally managed to get the new fuel system and electric pump up and running today. Just need to get the interior back in and give it a really good clean and a polish before the Classics at the Clubhouse Air-cooled Edition show on the 27th June.

View attachment 118553

View attachment 118554
I’ve always loved these. When I was a teenager a friend who was a VW and Mercedes mechanic had one of the first fuel injected ones. He had modified it to Porsche 356 specs, and pointed out that it was basically the same chassis layout. It was a blast!

Later model Type 3s have the same rear suspension setup as a Porsche 924, mine's a swing axle rear end and gets terminal oversteer at the limit......

Later model Type 3s have the same rear suspension setup as a Porsche 924, mine's a swing axle rear end and gets terminal oversteer at the limit......
If I remember right, my friend’s was a 1968 MY (US), which was the first year with fuel injection and double CV joints replacing the swing axle. Great fun to drive!

Took the squareback out for a final run to Classics at the Clubhouse today. I advertised it for sale and it went within a couple of hours.
So it's back in the lockup until the transporter comes to pick it up for the new owner.

207028186-10158447413621747-4645301375730968414-n.jpg

IMG-3350.jpg

IMG-3343.jpg

IMG-3346.jpg

IMG-3352.jpg

Looks great, I had one just like it and it did wonderful service.

For those who remembered the days, mine towed the big white Volkswagen Owners Club exhibition unit about the UK. Registration mark was JUD 863W and according to the DVLA vehicle enquiry service it is still on the road and MOTd to June 2022. It had done about 120,000miles when I sold it well over twenty years ago!

Look after yours, it's an appreciating asset.

Looks great, I had one just like it and it did wonderful service.

For those who remembered the days, mine towed the big white Volkswagen Owners Club exhibition unit about the UK. Registration mark was JUD 863W and according to the DVLA vehicle enquiry service it is still on the road and MOTd to June 2022. It had done about 120,000miles when I sold it well over twenty years ago!

Look after yours, it's an appreciating asset.
Hi @Duncan Mowlem , I hadn't noticed that you are also a Shropshire boy. I'm in Wellington and have been for the last fifty odd years, prior to that born & bred in North Shropshire.

Hi, just up the road from you.. work in ketley and live in Newport.. give me a shout if you ever want to go down memory lane and have go in the old girl.. having our first night in it tonight, many miles from home… in the garden…

Hope you have a peaceful night, we've just come home from 18 days in Scotland and currently planning a trip to brother in law in Devon.

Our Type 25 plied European roads a number of times including a few trips to VW Euro in Holland, it also brought the streets of Koln ((Cologne) to a slow with a blocked carb!
We bought it from Buckinghamshire in about 1984 and sold it in about 1994 to a buyer just out of Loggerheads.

This would be an ideal wedding car for my son next year to take him to the church if your not busy July next year he has a passion for a mk1 gti, they have a type 2 camper as there official wedding car to the reception but as a surprise I want to try and get a mk1 gti I think they would look great in there wedding pics

Took the squareback out for a final run to Classics at the Clubhouse today. I advertised it for sale and it went within a couple of hours.
So it's back in the lockup until the transporter comes to pick it up for the new owner.

View attachment 121435

View attachment 121436

View attachment 121437

View attachment 121438

View attachment 121439
My uncle had one of these in red and remember fondly the 1st time being in a car reaching 100mph, going downhill on the old Roman road Northumberland. We thought we were Jim Clark, 11 at the time :)

Back