Oil leak 2017 T6

WeaversT6

T6 Pro
Hi

2017 T6 covered 48k miles I noticed drops of oil on the drive and then looked underneath this evening and saw this….

The van had a major service 2000 miles (and 6 weeks ago).

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

3967F350-C519-4C3C-ACB4-E1D9A74C2796.jpeg

956B68C3-4606-4C19-A234-A8071DB4A15A.jpeg

Luminous green....?

Engine & gearbox oil is normally brown to black colour.

Same with brake oil.

Coolant should be pinkish colour.

Is you AC working ok?

Power steering..?

Check all your levels , to see what's low....

Post a few pics of the levels.

And water coolant reservoir.

Whatever is on my tarmac driveway is ‘oily’. If you put water on it, it beads.

Brake fluid reservoir is towards the high mark, coolant is fine and engine oil dipstick seems ok too

AC coolant is oily and can contain luminous dye to locate leaks.

Some engine coolant can be luminous green.... But the T6 normally has the pink stuff.

Oil leaks always travel down.... And back, due to the airflow.

That leak looks like it's coming from higher up and running down.

Take some more pics to see where it's coming from.

Have a feel around the cold engine to see if you can feel the area that's wet.

The bolt is supposed to be replaced after removing.... ?

Is the green definitely a pen mark?

If all levels are good, it's possibly coming from somewhere else that you cant/not measured....

IE.

Gearbox.
AC,
Power steering,

I'd use some "brake clean" to clean off all that oil.

Then run the van for a day.

Then recheck the engine to see where it's leaking from.

Plan B could be to take it back to the garage that serviced it recently and ask them to have a quick look at it.

Cheers

Since they serviced it, it’s been to Cornwall and back amongst other trips so it’s done quite a few miles but the leak only seems to have started in the last few days…..

Use some water soluble degreaser and clean from the top down, rinse well and use a mirror or phone camera to find the highest oily point after running the engine.
It could be the sump plug but unlikely.
It could be the from the drive end crankshaft seal as with a similar recent case. IF this is the case it’s the gearbox and DMF out so you might want to consider replacing the clutch and DMF at this point.
The green mark has been put there by the mech as a quick reference that the plug was tightened and as a quick visual if it comes loose. Re-using a sump plug won’t result in an oil leak 99% of the time.

Last edited:
I’ve taken it to my local garage this morning (not the people who serviced it) and they said it’s the sump nut that’s leaking. He tried to tighten it but it won’t budge. So it looks like it’s going to be oil out, new sump nut/ washer and new oil.

Most garages Inc VW now use oil extraction pumps that go in via the dip stick tube.....

So no need to remove the lower covers and sump plug etc.

But I do remember in the T5 days always being billed for a new sump plug washer every time.

Some more modern sump plugs are event plastic...!

Seem odd why the sump plug would leak,.... Either way keep us posted....

Can you check what's on the invoice for the previous service work..?

Back