Oil Change recommendations - Dealer or Indy? Leicestershire / Warwickshire

Mick

VIP Member
T6 Guru
i am getting the warning come up that I need an interim service ie oil change.

VW want to steal £174 + VAT.

I can probably get it done cheaper locally but will that impact the warranty? Additionally they want it in all day. Why FFS? It’s a 1 hour job at most.

Any local recommendations. Leicester or Nuneaton way.

As far as I'm aware, providing the garage use genuine parts, and the correct oil, plus they are VAT registered, this won't effect your warranty.

Reactions: Foz
They don’t even need to be genuine if you don’t want , As long as the parts are of matching OE quality like “Mann” or “Bosch” filters . The correct oil grade must be used, a lot of independents will just put the 5/30 C3 spec in everything which isn’t good enough. If you decide to go down that route ask which oil they will be supplying for warranty purposes.

buy The filters and oil from Vw directly. It’s cheap enough. A local garage will fit them all for you.
Depends if you want the history to be specifically Vw. Think it’s electronic now as well so unsure sure how you get a stamp.

My van came up with the “oil change” warning at 10k miles, even though it was set to the long service interval. I’d always intended to do a “in between” oil service anyway as I intend keeping the van for a while. I took it back to my dealer & they reset the service reminder. I asked how much for an oil/filter change whilst they had it..£120 inc vat. So I did.

It turns out my service is a full service not an interim. Looks like the computer was set wrong cos the last service was an interim service. Doughnuts!

£354 thanks! Ah well has to be done whilst in warranty.:uh run:

Booked mine in for 2nd service on Monday, £208, 50000 miles, shock horror, but going by the service indicator. I did question the price, saying it should be a full service but that’s what the bloke in the end of the phone said???

Booked mine in for 2nd service on Monday, £208, 50000 miles, shock horror, but going by the service indicator. I did question the price, saying it should be a full service but that’s what the bloke in the end of the phone said???
So only it’s 2nd oil change from new? 25,000 miles between oil changes?

Ended up with Full as expect £350 inc VAT. Yep, going with the dash display. My T5, had 12 monthly service, similarish mileage between services, never missed a beat. Always drive 30+ miles each way to work and back, never thrash it.

@Dellmassive just noticed the 18,000 mile limit, oops...

LOL yep, though the engine does monitor the health of the oil and adapts the MFD and changes the countdown, so if you need it sooner it will tell you.

some people change their oil at 10/12k regardless of what the spec says . . . . . . as on oldskool mechanic from years past i cant argue with them, but modern oils and engines can run on long life service intervals.

Flexible Service Regime (LongLife Service)
We recommend this service if you are likely to drive more than 25 miles a day, and if you tend to drive in the following way:

• Regular long distance driving
  • Driving at a constant speed with minimum vehicle and engine loading, and minimal towing
  • Economical driving
This Flexible regime has been made possible due to the development of new Volkswagen engines with the latest technically advanced longlife oil. These engines use built-in sensors that continually monitor the oil quality, making it possible to enjoy reliable and confident motoring for up to a maximum of 18,000* miles or 24 months (whichever occurs first).

There are two service options so it depends how the van was programmed at the factory to be ie 1 year or 2 year servicing, either is acceptable and if its been set to one year you can go to your dealer and ask them to change it to two year intervals, thats what i did (but i do a 12 month oil change myself in between)

There are two service options so it depends how the van was programmed at the factory to be ie 1 year or 2 year servicing, either is acceptable and if its been set to one year you can go to your dealer and ask them to change it to two year intervals, thats what i did (but i do a 12 month oil change myself in between)
Same here although the inspection reminder has come up at a time that coincides with nothing so the garage told me to ignore it until it goes in for its first service.

Back