OEM T6 LED Rear Lights With Sequential LED Indicator "retrofit"

Sorry for the confusion, are we saying the LED rear lamps have a traditional filament lamp on the indicator? Or was the resistor just for the standard non led rear lights?

Sadly, I can report that this mod is nigh on impossible on the T6.1 LED rear clusters. There is no easy access inside. I have a spare cluster that I’ve been experimenting on. The only easy way inside would be to cut the lens off but there would be little hope of re attaching it so it looked OEM. It’s not one flat PCB inside with all the LEDs on :thumbsdown:

Is it possible to heat up the whole unit in the oven and then split it in half? I mean to separate lenses part from the back side?

Reactions: mmi
Is it possible to heat up the whole unit in the oven and then split it in half? I mean to separate lenses part from the back side?
I don't think so. It looks like it's sonic welded

I’ve been sitting on the parts to do this for a few weeks.

I ordered the resistors from RS and then received an email telling me they’re due back in stock in August :cry:

@Deaky did you buy your resistors from RS or elsewhere?

I ordered the resistors from RS and then received an email telling me they’re due back in stock in August :cry:

@Deaky did you buy your resistors from RS or elsewhere?
i used resistors that I already had lying around.

Do they fit ok, then? Any heat issues (assuming you’ve test-fitted)
No issues what so ever. I put LED bulbs in my original clusters two years ago. Plenty of space for them

Ah brilliant - I’ll cancel the RS order and get some of the regular resistors off Amazon or somewhere. Cheers mate

Ideal length of the sequential LED strip for T6 rear indicator is 150mm;)
and there is loads of them on Ebay, Aliexpress, etc.

OEM T6 rear LED lights are factory equipped with 16W filament bulb for indicator.
My LED sequential strip take 0.33A, which translates to 4W.
This is obviously short by 12W to expected 16W and results with hyperflash and double frequency click in the instrument cluster.

Available coding adjustment for indicator setup is as follows
BCM 09, Byte 18
bit 3&4 = front/rear/side
00 = 21/21/5 W
01 = 21/27/5 W
10 = 21/16/5 W
11 = 27/27/5 W
The lowest possible setting is "10" which I had already as a factory setup so the only solution was to add extra resistor.

Quick maths:)
Required indicator additional power(wattage) = 16W - 4W = 12W

P = U x I ---> I = P / U = 12W / 12V = 1A ===> R = U / I = 12V / 1A = 12Ω

So the selected resistor was 12Ω and for sufficient heat dissipation 50W seems to be sufficient.
My resistors:) ---> RS PRO Panel Mount Resistor | RS Components

View attachment 62854

Credit to @Loz for resistor type and resistor layout inspiration ;)

the 50w resistor is on back order will the 100w one work ok?

..... siete tutti matti .... ma come, ho appena finito di tagliare l'erba su 2000 metri quadrati di giardino, ho raccolto l'erba, ho riparato il tosaerba, la moglie mi ha rimproverato perché non l'ho fatto la colazione con lei e tu giochi con le luci ?! .... sei pazzo ..... mmhh ... forse ho fatto qualcosa di sbagliato ... lo sciocco sono io ...

While I wait for the bits to arrive to do the rear.... does anyone have any suggestions for the front indicators (led headlights)? I cannot understand why vw do LED lights yet keep the indicators halogen. I have seen side repeaters that are LED but little in the way of bulbs and resistors for the factory fit led fronts...

While I wait for the bits to arrive to do the rear.... does anyone have any suggestions for the front indicators (led headlights)? I cannot understand why vw do LED lights yet keep the indicators halogen. I have seen side repeaters that are LED but little in the way of bulbs and resistors for the factory fit led fronts...
Watch this space :whistle:.

Back