OEM T6 LED Rear Lights With Sequential LED Indicator "retrofit"

What is this wizadry,how is it done?.:eek:
It is not wizardry
It’s a medical condition called “VW toyitus T6” it’s a mental condition that generally affect the central banking system . At the moment there is no cure for the illness , the only thing you can do is keep the owner comfortable and supply them with plenty of tea and coffee when they are in therapy (logged on to t6 forum) or tinkering in the garage. :smile bounce:

It is not wizardry
It’s a medical condition called “VW toyitus T6” it’s a mental condition that generally affect the central banking system . At the moment there is no cure for the illness , the only thing you can do is keep the owner comfortable and supply them with plenty of tea and coffee when they are in therapy (logged on to t6 forum) or tinkering in the garage. :smile bounce:
Mate, this is exactly the same diagnosis I was thinking about.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mmi
Top work master. I’ve been sitting on the parts to do this for a few weeks. :whistle:

Spill the beans Deaky, I won't manage to do this as we're currently 7 weeks into renovating a 1930s money pit of an house but it will then be available on a forum search... I've read Roberts posts in the past and they get way too technical way too quickly!:eek:

Guys I can't stop doing this.
I am still managing to keep myself happy as I come up with a new idea almost every week. Have a look below and judge yourselves.

Please share the details of how this is done! I would love to have my new (to me) LED rears with sequential indicators.

Please share the details of how this is done! I would love to have my new (to me) LED rears with sequential indicators.
is it just not a led strip from eBay,just had a look myself and theres quite a few designs,
( 32 LED Knight Rider Flash Strobe Scanner Strip Light )

This "job" took me exactly 20 minutes including taking the lamps off the vehicle and then reinstalling them.
I simply bought 2 led sequential strips and I have inserted them through indicator bulb opening.
Specific length of the strip makes it sitting firmly inside of the lamp without anything extra to hold it in place. Seriously very simple and quick mod with quite impressive result.

One thing bothered me initially cause I thought that OEM T6 rear LED lamps have very narrow indicators and therefore sequential effect is going to be pointless.
But after quick inspection I have discovered that there is internal gap between indicator "chamber" and rear fog led "chamber" so I could proceed with this "retrofit":cool:

EDIT: Indicator strip sits partly in front of the rear fog led but this is not affecting its luminosity at all;)

I have spent €6.32 = £5.50
This is the link to my expensive purchase ----> Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

Last edited:
This "job" took me exactly 20 minutes including taking off the lamps of the vehicle and then reinstalling them.
I simply bought 2 led sequential strips and I have inserted them through indicator bulb opening.
Specific length of the strip makes it sitting firmly inside of the lamp without anything extra to hold it in place. Seriously very simple and quick mod with quite impressive result.

One thing bothered me initially cause I thought that OEM T6 rear LED lamps have very narrow indicators and therefore sequential effect is going to be pointless. But after quick inspection I have discovered that there is internal gap between indicator "chamber" and rear fog led "chamber" so I could proceed with this "retrofit":cool:

EDIT: Indicator strip sits partly in front of the rear fog led but it is not affecting its luminosity at all;)

I have spent €6.32 = £5.50
This is the link to my expensive purchase ----> Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
great explanation Robert ,thankyou,might have a look at my own lights, not doing anymore to my van at the moment ,burst my back couple days ago, so now taking it easy

OEM T6 rear LED lights are factory equipped with 16W filament bulb for indicator.
My LED sequential strip take 0.33A, which translates to 4W.
This is obviously short by 12W to expected 16W and results with hyperflash and double frequency click in the instrument cluster.

Available coding adjustment for indicator setup is as follows
BCM 09, Byte 18
bits 4&3 = front/rear/side
00 = 21/21/5 W
01 = 21/27/5 W
10 = 21/16/5 W
11 = 27/27/5 W
The lowest possible setting is "10" which I had already as a factory setup so the only solution was to add extra resistor.

Quick maths:)
Required indicator additional power(wattage) = 16W - 4W = 12W

P = U x I ---> I = P / U = 12W / 12V = 1A ===> R = U / I = 12V / 1A = 12Ω

So required resistor is 12Ω and for adequate heat dissipation 50W seems to be sufficient.
My resistors:) ---> RS PRO Panel Mount Resistor | RS Components

20200311_221604.jpg

Credit to @Loz for resistor type and resistor layout inspiration ;)

OEM T6 rear lights are factory equipped with 16W filament bulb for indicator.
My LED sequential strip take 0.33A , which translates to 4W.
This is obviously short by 12W to expected 16W and results with hyperflash and double frequency click in the instrument cluster.

Required indicator additional power(wattage) = 16W - 4W = 12W

P = U x I ---> I = P / U = 12W / 12V = 1A ===> R= U / I = 12V / 1A = 12Ω

So the selected resistor was 12Ω and for sufficient heat dissipation 50W seems to be sufficient.
My resistors:) ---> RS PRO Panel Mount Resistor | RS Components

View attachment 62854

Credit to @Loz for resistor type and resistor layout inspiration ;)
How did you manage with the bayonet fitting, @Robert?

Sadly, I can report that this mod is nigh on impossible on the T6.1 LED rear clusters. There is no easy access inside. I have a spare cluster that I’ve been experimenting on. The only easy way inside would be to cut the lens off but there would be little hope of re attaching it so it looked OEM. It’s not one flat PCB inside with all the LEDs on :thumbsdown:

Back