[GUIDE] Raising the floor height to match OEM rails

JustDave007

Hi there,

I've had some caravelle rails fitted ready for my Titan vari mount bed and i need to raise the floor to match the height of the rails which is about 39mm. I would like to soundproof and insulate and finish with an Altro vinyl floor. Could someone recommend the best method please ? much appreciated
thanks
Daz.

This is one example, use the search function and you’ll find a wealth of information.

Hi there, l used a second hand kombi floor mat, cut out slots for rails then added a 12mm ply floor and glued the 2mm altro vinyl flooring on top. The kombi floor mat insulates and soundproofs pretty well.
This was for california rails I'm assuming they are the same as caravelle ones.

Reactions: DXX
thanks DXX and BJC_9,
I tried the search but i dont think i was using the right key words, thanks for the link.

BJC_9, sorry yes they are California rails. two single rails. i like your idea with the kombi matt, 12mm ply and vinyl. I've seen a secondhand one on ebay which looks pretty thick ~20mm, together with the ply and vinyl it should do the job. thanks for your help
Daz

Hi there, l used a second hand kombi floor mat, cut out slots for rails then added a 12mm ply floor and glued the 2mm altro vinyl flooring on top. The kombi floor mat insulates and soundproofs pretty well.
How did you secure your 12mm ply to the Kombi floor mat to prevent lifting and did you have an issue with it being higher than the side door threshold?

How did you secure your 12mm ply to the Kombi floor mat to prevent lifting and did you have an issue with it being higher than the side door threshold?
Once you fit the ply, you’ll realise it’s so heavy that it doesn’t need securing.

And the Cali / Caravelle steps fit just right if you use the Kombi rubber floor / 12mm ply / 2/3mm vinyl floor combination.

Once you fit the ply, you’ll realise it’s so heavy that it doesn’t need securing.

And the Cali / Caravelle steps fit just right if you use the Kombi rubber floor / 12mm ply / 2/3mm vinyl floor combination.
That's good to hear. Thank you.

So using this combination (original Kombi rubber floor, 12mm ply and vinyl floor) I could swap my existing Kombi plastic step for a Caravelle or California step? It would give it a neater finish.

There'd be a little step at the back but I can live with that.

Hi,
I have just finished this on my own van. The kombi mat was a good idea that I picked up from this forum which I used myself along with 12mm ply floor and 2mm Altro walkway.
A few tips.. or things I wish I would have know before hand.

One piece ply if possible so you don’t see joins through the Altro floor. I made my own an joined it with biscuit

When making the cut outs for the rails in the ply you need make a ‘pocket’ for the springs on the rails to fully go back otherwise it will be very hard to get the trims back on when all finished.

I found the floor a bit too flexible with only the mat so I put some wood at the busy areas for a bit more support. See picture. Also gave me something to fix to.

I cut my floor square where the step is using my kombi step trim thinking it would be okay but now I have looked at the caravelle ones they have a small radius cut out so it has given me a problem which I haven’t fixed yet. I have just added a 14mm spacer under the kombi step ‘for now’

84BFE434-41F4-4B1F-A7F4-77A79BA9816A.jpeg

ECA38D16-F9DD-4BCD-8160-D8EFA6B960AD.jpeg

I cut my floor square where the step is using my kombi step trim thinking it would be okay but now I have looked at the caravelle ones they have a small radius cut out so it has given me a problem which I haven’t fixed yet. I have just added a 14mm spacer under the kombi step ‘for now’
That work looks brilliant. I like the idea of a few battens for support. What exactly is the issue with cutting out where the step is. I havent done my floor yet as I am waiting for the roof to be fitted first.
Also, how did you manage to cut out where the rails are so neatly. Did you use a template or just measure from the van floor. Your help is appreciated.

Hi,
I have just finished this on my own van. The kombi mat was a good idea that I picked up from this forum which I used myself along with 12mm ply floor and 2mm Altro walkway.
A few tips.. or things I wish I would have know before hand.

One piece ply if possible so you don’t see joins through the Altro floor. I made my own an joined it with biscuit

When making the cut outs for the rails in the ply you need make a ‘pocket’ for the springs on the rails to fully go back otherwise it will be very hard to get the trims back on when all finished.

I found the floor a bit too flexible with only the mat so I put some wood at the busy areas for a bit more support. See picture. Also gave me something to fix to.

View attachment 95295

View attachment 95296
Really helpful explanation, thank you.

Would you have photo of your side step please?

Here's a photo of my side step.
To fill in the gaps where the small radius are I made some wooden blocks covered them in carpet then screwed them down underneath the step.20201217_100929.jpg

I set out the cuts for the rails by measuring and I cut out the rails with a mini circular saw. I would put the ply in on top of the rails and see how it fits around the sides, it might feel a bit small but once the rails are cut out and the ply sits lower it will fit better. I then took my measurements from the wheel arch to the first rail and worked from there. I allowed 5mm gap either side of the rails. And then jig saw to trim the pockets for the clips that hold the aluminium trims on.

you can see on the picture I added that my floor is cut square at the corners (marked in red) I did this for a kombi step. Not knowing an caravelle would be different .

9B4D6E24-3DBD-4608-8148-58CC947EBC52.jpeg

I set out the cuts for the rails by measuring and I cut out the rails with a mini circular saw. I would put the ply in on top of the rails and see how it fits around the sides, it might feel a bit small but once the rails are cut out and the ply sits lower it will fit better. I then took my measurements from the wheel arch to the first rail and worked from there. I allowed 5mm gap either side of the rails. And then jig saw to trim the pockets for the clips that hold the aluminium trims on.

you can see on the picture I added that my floor is cut square at the corners (marked in red) I did this for a kombi step. Not knowing an caravelle would be different .

View attachment 95362
That is really helpful, thank you for explaining and for adding the pics.
I am wondering if i will have the same issue with the step if i buy a pre-cut 1 piece floor. Thanks again, much appreciated ;-)

PXL_20210223_083507301.jpg
EDIT: it's not 39mm, it should be 34mm and that is tight. So 2mm sound deadening not an option if you want to use 12mm ply on top of a kombi floor with room for a cosmetic layer on top.

About to follow those on this thread, but need to decide about sound deadening the floor? Worthwhile if having a Kombi floor or will the weight of the layers stop any resonance?

Also the heights don't add up. Is the trim on the rails part of the 39mm? And is that 39mm + the depth of the ridges in the floor?

The trim between the cab and floor, is it an L section? I gave up on the idea of tapering as the rails are so close to the front. Although the measurements from the front seem to vary.

Last edited:
There does seem a reduction in noice since I did my floor just using kombi mat, ply and Altro. I’m sure adding a layer of sound deadening would take that a step forward but when I made my calculations I decided there wasn’t enough space for it.

The finished floor should by flush with the top of the rails before the trim goes back on. My kombi floor was definitely thicker than 20mm this could be why your heights don't add up.
I took my measurements from the deepest part of the floor, the bottom of the ridge and then measuring the thickest part of the kombi Matt.

I am yet to finish the floor between the cab, I have been planning on an L section but haven’t found one I like yet. I’m a bit fussy and want invisible fixings.

I am now starting this exact job. I have a kombi mat. Can I not simply cut the kombi mat in half across the van and then cut slots for the rails to slide each part in under the seat whilst the seat is in the rails? The join isn't going to impact the ply layer, right? Want to minimise the number of times we remove the seat, for the sake of our backs and the risk to the rail trims

The finished floor should by flush with the top of the rails before the trim goes back on. My kombi floor was definitely thicker than 20mm this could be why your heights don't add up.
I took my measurements from the deepest part of the floor, the bottom of the ridge and then measuring the thickest part of the kombi Matt.
I've measured the height from the flat part of the floor to the underside of the rail trim as 34mm, so I guess that's why 20+12+2 is correct. Not sure where I got the 39mm from

I am now starting this exact job. I have a kombi mat. Can I not simply cut the kombi mat in half across the van and then cut slots for the rails to slide each part in under the seat whilst the seat is in the rails? The join isn't going to impact the ply layer, right? Want to minimise the number of times we remove the seat, for the sake of our backs and the risk to the rail trims
My Kombi mat has been cut in the centre and this doesnt seem to impact on the ply. I think the mat must have come from a LWB as it arrived in 2 pieces. Mine is SWB.

My Kombi mat has been cut in the centre and this doesnt seem to impact on the ply. I think the mat must have come from a LWB as it arrived in 2 pieces. Mine is SWB.
Thanks, I'll look where the join would most often be under the seat, so wouldn't be stood on just in case. Also thinking a jigsaw pattern would help mitigate the two halves riding past each other under the ply

Thanks, I'll look where the join would most often be under the seat, so wouldn't be stood on just in case. Also thinking a jigsaw pattern would help mitigate the two halves riding past each other under the ply
I doubt very much it would ride. Here is my cut.20200718_082618.jpg

Back