OEM bike rack security

Ozi

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Thinking about buying an OEM bike rack, but wanted to check a couple of things with anyone that already has one:

1. Does the bike rack have any lockable fixings to secure the bikes?
2. Does the tailgate still open ok with the rack on (obviously without bikes on) if you have a pop top roof?

Hiya

I run a long bike lock through the bike frames and the rack.

Yes, you can open the tailgate with the rack on (but don’t have the bikes on as well!) The tailgate usually needs the struts to be upgraded to accommodate the weight of the rack

Reactions: Ozi
Thanks Jog. Had the struts swapped out for stronger ones when the conversion was done in readiness for a rack, so that’s all done already.

Was hoping they might have locks like my old Thule roof mounted bike racks on my car, but that’s not a showstopper. I always double up with a long bike lock anyway, so plan B it is for security.

The possibility of the rack fouling with the pop top was the larger concern, so as long as that’s not an issue, its all good.

There are basic locks on the wheels that tighten the clamps on the frame too.

I had a VW rack and it was ok with my Austops pop top, but I believe that some may get very close/touch. May be worth checking with others that have the same pop top.

I ended up selling my rack though as I was constantly putting the bikes on and off as the kids wanted various things out of the boot. I eventually changed to a hinged tow bar mount.

Last edited:
I have the Thule version of the OEM bike rack and I just bought the Thule One Key lock set with enough locks for all my needs - 4 bike clamps & roof box.

There are basic locks on the wheels that tighten the clamps on the frame too.

I had a VW rack and it was ok with my Austops pop top, but I believe that some may get very close/touch. May be worth checking with others that have the same pop top.

I ended up selling my rack though as I was constantly putting them on and removing them as the kids wanted various things out of the boot. I changed to a tow bar mount.
Good point on different types of roof. I have an SCA pop top - anyone had issues using the OEM rack with it?

I have the Thule version of the OEM bike rack and I just bought the Thule One Key lock set with enough locks for all my needs - 4 bike clamps & roof box.
Hi do you have the Thule wanderer? Is it possible for the actual rack to be stolen off of the van without opening the tailgate?
Thanks

Hi do you have the Thule wanderer? Is it possible for the actual rack to be stolen off of the van without opening the tailgate?
Thanks
If someone wanted to steal it they will do. If you loosen the tension with the torque tool that possibly comes with many Thule racks (certainly the Wanderway) it will be loosened to an extent that brute force and determination would get the rack off with damage to the tailgate and fittings of the rack.

But it is unlikely to be stolen by an opportunistic thief and the Wanderway is quite a niche product as very vehicle specific.

I’ve just bought and fitted a Wanderway….very impressed with it but I had assumed it would be secure on the van, at least to all but the most determined. However, you only need a specific tool and the rack will come off no problem. There don’t appear to be any Thule solutions to this, or am I missing something? NB rack is worth more than my current bike………

Thinking about buying an OEM bike rack, but wanted to check a couple of things with anyone that already has one:

1. Does the bike rack have any lockable fixings to secure the bikes?
2. Does the tailgate still open ok with the rack on (obviously without bikes on) if you have a pop top roof?
Yes
Yes

I’ve just bought and fitted a Wanderway….very impressed with it but I had assumed it would be secure on the van, at least to all but the most determined. However, you only need a specific tool and the rack will come off no problem. There don’t appear to be any Thule solutions to this, or am I missing something? NB rack is worth more than my current bike………
It also looks like I'll need to beef up the struts, boot won't stay up, even without bikes loaded on to the rack....£never ending....

I have a similar concern and found a promising solution on the California Forum. I’ve not tried it yet. You can replace the bolt on the lower brackets with a domed head bolt then fit a Hexlox to prevent it being undone. Won’t stop a determined thief but makes it more difficult than just needing a torx key!

The lock on the Thule arms is next to useless (it takes less than 5 secs to remove a bike!) so another lock is needed to secure them to any degree.

Hexlox link.

I have a similar concern and found a promising solution on the California Forum. I’ve not tried it yet. You can replace the bolt on the lower brackets with a domed head bolt then fit a Hexlox to prevent it being undone. Won’t stop a determined thief but makes it more difficult than just needing a torx key!

The lock on the Thule arms is next to useless (it takes less than 5 secs to remove a bike!) so another lock is needed to secure them to any degree.

Hexlox link.
Thanks for the tip, sounds interesting I will check it out. As for the bike rack locks themselves I am definitely looking to 'double up' to add a bit more as a deterent!

_nc_ohc=nK6OQ6KNmOMAX_K-4Ts&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.jpg

I have the T5 style rack on my T6.1. Only x 1 of the arms has a locking knob. You can buy spare locking knobs for the other arms but they are VERRRRYYY expensive.

View attachment 185176

I have the T5 style rack on my T6.1. Only x 1 of the arms has a locking knob. You can buy spare locking knobs for the other arms but they are VERRRRYYY expensive.
Hexlok looks to be a good option securing the rack to the van, ie where the rack attaches to the tailgate above the rear lights. I'm definitely going to use an additional bike lock, depending on circumstances etc.

Having just forked out nearly £700 for an OEM bike rack I was completely shocked to discover that there is no mechanism or cap that goes over the clamp bolts to stop a passer by with an Allen key running off with it. Terrible design failure. Can’t believe more people haven’t been complaining about this!

8F57645A-7884-4D3B-88C7-421B42FBE833.jpeg

Back