OBDeleven for diagnostics?

Caravelle Dan

VIP Member
Hi, I have been reading the posts about different code readers. I have a T6 Caravelle and am not really looking to unlock any extra features or conduct programming but would like something that will perform fairly comprehensive diagnostics if required. I have been looking at the OBDeleven devices but can not fathom if you have to pay for one of the subscriptions or can you just purchase a device as per below and use that to read fault codes/reset faults etc? Thanks, Dan.

OBDeleven.JPG

would like something that will perform fairly comprehensive diagnostics
I guess it depends... what's needed
  • Fault code reading/reset
  • Fault code associated freeze frame data
  • Capability to read/log various parameters of sensors and actuators
  • Capability to run vehicle's built-in diagnostics - e.g run EGR valve, EGR cooler pump, etc.
  • Capability to run vehicle's built-in calibration routines (e.g. after parts replacement)
if you have to pay for one of the subscriptions or can you just purchase a device as per below and use that to read fault codes/reset faults etc?
Per OBDeleven site below the "basic" (=no subscription) allows to read/reset codes.

However, an essential part of proper diagnostics is so called freeze frame data - details of conditions which had tirggered the fault, as well as fault status: dormant, pending, active, frequency of faults, time of the fault etc. need subscription. Also to run van's built-in diagnostics routines needs the subscription.

Also worth noting OBDeleven is a network based application - doesn't run without.

I guess it depends... what's needed
  • Fault code reading/reset
  • Fault code associated freeze frame data
  • Capability to read/log various parameters of sensors and actuators
  • Capability to run vehicle's built-in diagnostics - e.g run EGR valve, EGR cooler pump, etc.
  • Capability to run vehicle's built-in calibration routines (e.g. after parts replacement)

Per OBDeleven site below the "basic" (=no subscription) allows to read/reset codes.

However, an essential part of proper diagnostics is so called freeze frame data - details of conditions which had tirggered the fault, as well as fault status: dormant, pending, active, frequency of faults, time of the fault etc. need subscription. Also to run van's built-in diagnostics routines needs the subscription.

Also worth noting OBDeleven is a network based application - doesn't run without.
@mmi, Thanks for the feedback, at this time I'm simply looking for something to read codes should that be required on my Caravelle, if it turns out it is particularly troublesome I will either purchase a subscription or VCDS.

I am also keen to see what software revision my ECU is running as it is a 150 DSG and I have read many posts about the SCR Efficiency EML, this is something that happens on occasion on mine, (the previous owner was very honest about this and said that VW told him not to worry about it and it was quite normal!). Hopefully this is something I can do with 'Basic' OBDeleven.

You say 'Also worth noting OBDeleven is a network based application - doesn't run without.' Does this means a reliable wifi connection is needed for this to work? or can a 4G/5G mobile connection be used? I had assumed the latter but might have misunderstood.

Does this means a reliable wifi connection is needed for this to work? or can a 4G/5G mobile connection be used? I had assumed the latter but might have misunderstood.
Anything that connects the phone/tab to Internet - thus WiFi, 3G, 4G, 5G, etc will do the job.

I am also keen to see what software revision my ECU is running as it is a 150 DSG
The software revision can be read with many apps - if you already have a generic OBD-dongle (e.g. Carista - just the dongle) - examples below.
Note: OBDeleven dongle is a proprietary one - works only with OBDeleven software.

Another a bit more involved - inexpensive though - approach to monitor in real-time things happening inside/around the engine

Back