OBD port protection

They work..... In respect of blocking CAN Comms to the ECU modules etc.

But I'd be more concerned with key theft as that's what's needed to overcome the steering wheel lock and imobiliser.

Look at a Ghost style CAN bus imobiliser too... Then .Even if they have your keys the van will still be imobilised.

I won’t go into details here - I’ve tons of security Dell, but you know, you can’t have enough.
And for just over a tenner it might be worth a try.

Thanks for the link, I did search but obvs not thoroughly enough :thumbsup:

I’d be a tad worried about plumbing that unbranded thing into my OBD?????

Why not just fit a hidden switch to isolate the power to the port or even one leg of the can bus?
that would fool them.

Why not just fit a hidden switch to isolate the power to the port or even one leg of the can bus?
that would fool them.

Hi Loz
Happy to do that if I knew what colour wire to cut to insert a switch and assurance that it’s not going to cause other problems.
Knowing my luck it’ll set something off -eek!

Recommendations for a switch would be welcome too, presumably any automotive type switch would do? :geek:

Last edited:
Hi Loz
Happy to do that if I knew what colour wire to cut to insert a switch and assurance that it’s not going to cause other problems.
Knowing my luck it’ll set something off -eek!

Recommendations for a switch would be welcome too, presumably any automotive type switch would do? :geek:
1645089463831.png

Search micro toggle switch
1645089520066.png

Thank you Loz

I presume that inserting a switch there simply removes the power supply available from that port.

I presume that inserting a switch there simply removes the power supply available from that port.
Power missing might be too obvious to an attacker, so I would interrupt one of the can lines (circled above), which will be more confusing.

Evening folks. A requirement for a new insurance policy I have enquired about is an OBD relocation kit. Has anyone had experience of these and also had them stipulated as part of cover against theft. Waiting on pack through for more details but was told approx £23 from fleabay.

The OBD port is combined with the BCU carrier, so not easy to relocate.
I don’t believe an insurance company would stipulate a relocation. Some ports can’t be relocated and what if it was new, you could have warranty issues with anything wrong in related parts in future.
They must offer a range of protections you could choose from?
or find another insurance with less requirements.

Thanks @Loz. I'll wait till pack comes through and see and then report back if ok. Insurance is via Brentacre broker and apparently this is common. It is at the discretion of the individual though, as to not relocate the OBD port would invalidate cover against theft only. The relocation was suggested to passenger glove box or similar?!

Security by obscurity, not a real option, see if they recognise something better like a Ghost Immobiliser

Back