How To Remove Door Cards Numpty Question

Larry G

T6 Pro
Hi, my 16' T32 Kombi has been converted and after the initial excitement and trips I'm trying to get to know the van a little better. (a lot better actually) after my 1st experience at VW where I had oil service, inspection and a few warranty requests. That's going to be a separate thread!
I've seen pics of Kombi sliding door internal boards/cards which appear to be fixed with fasteners all around, my cards have been lined with the "Fluffy Grey Stuff" Question is how do I take them off to check insulation/sound proofing work?
I remember the vinyl covered car doors of the 60's and how I ended up with a load of broken bits of plastic.
Thanks in advance.

If you can’t see the fixings then chances are they have been hidden under the carpet, if this is the case then the boards should simply pry off from the edges but be careful as they may have reused the original hardboard panels which are not very robust and could damage if you try and lever them off plus there’s always the possibility they have been screwed on under the carpet
Perhaps posting a picture of said panel may help ?

Be worth looking very closely at the carpet lining material to see if there is any tiny slits that have been glued back together. If so, they may be hiding screws that have been used to screw the panels back in, rather than using some decent plastic hidden fixings.

Hi, my 16' T32 Kombi has been converted and after the initial excitement and trips I'm trying to get to know the van a little better. (a lot better actually) after my 1st experience at VW where I had oil service, inspection and a few warranty requests. That's going to be a separate thread!
I've seen pics of Kombi sliding door internal boards/cards which appear to be fixed with fasteners all around, my cards have been lined with the "Fluffy Grey Stuff" Question is how do I take them off to check insulation/sound proofing work?
I remember the vinyl covered car doors of the 60's and how I ended up with a load of broken bits of plastic.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Larry

If they have used hidden clips to replace the original ones then you should be able to feel them through the grey stuff.

Run your finger round the edge and you are feeling for a small disk about the diameter of a 1p but slimmer. Just pry off with a trim tool near them.
Good luck .

Thanks panel, that gives me more confidence, I'll get some trim tools and follow your advice,
The worst that can happen sounds easily fixable.
(Bought not Built)

Back again, got meself some trim tools, braced meself, decided to remove the big door stop on the inside off first,
"Bugger, what sort of bolt is that?" looked through all my tools, nothing looked suitable.
Contacted my mate Google and ended up more confused. Could it be a "triple square" a "spline" a "double hex" a "hybrid torx"
Foiled again!
Help.

Have you got a picture? There are some spline bolts in there so it could well be one of those

Back again, got meself some trim tools, braced meself, decided to remove the big door stop on the inside off first,
"Bugger, what sort of bolt is that?" looked through all my tools, nothing looked suitable.
Contacted my mate Google and ended up more confused. Could it be a "triple square" a "spline" a "double hex" a "hybrid torx"
Foiled again!
Help.
You don’t need to remove that. The door card sits over it.

Foiled again!
Help.
Hi @Larry G some pics would greatly assist the fine folk on this forum in helping you. If it's the door card on the sliding door from factory you should see the clips. It sounds like an aftermarket converter has used hidden clips. As @Deaky states you would not normally need to take off the large rubber block to remove the sliding door card. However without a picture it's difficult to see what the converter has done your door card.

I would suggest going round the card, feeling for any round lumps or indents around the edge (being the hidden clips). Pry off these with your new trim tools and see if it comes off.

Hope you get on ok.

Simmo.

Thanks, the card has been lined with "Furry Grey stuff" which looks like it goes under the block. I'll have another look first light.
Mebbe even take a picture!

Back