Novice alert! Research Questions.

Andrew

T6 Guru
Hi everyone.

I'm new to Bus Life and am eagerly waiting for my new bus to arrive on the 11th. I feel like a 6 year old again waiting for Christmas. Odd as I'm 43!

I've bought a transporter which is in the garage now being lined, insulated, windows, carpeted, 3/4 bed seats. Which means my hobby can begin when it comes home.

I've been doing some research and am trying to get a checklist together of what I need to do. I'm semi-handy when it come to getting the spanner out so aim to do some, if not all, the rest myself. However, So far it seems I have little choice but to pay someone who can certify the work.

1. Units seem straight forward. I'm sure I can build something to my own design.
  2. Sink, cooker. - presume I need a professional to do this. Is this correct? Is there a certificate I'll need?
  3. Power, the garage has offered to put in an electric pack for £1200. Is this worth it or is it relatively straight forward and perhaps I can do it? Does anyone have any info of what is needed?
  4. Heating? Again, presume I'll need a professional to tackle this as I'd heard the diesel heaters are better. Are there better options?
  5. Is there anything glaring that I've forgotten?

Any advice I can get will be truly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi. I bought the van from Leighton Vans and part of the purchase was these bits of prep work. Really wanted to do the conversion as a little hobby but fear I'm out of my depth and will need certified professionals.

Unless you're VERY handy, it's incredibly hard to make a DIY conversion look professional and tidy.
I'd do a modular build from someone like Slidepods. When I saw the prices they charge, I was gobsmacked - cracking VFM.
Definitely need any cooker certified by a professional too. I don't think the heater needs it but I'd want it done properly.

Come sale time, it will all be worth it; I've seen too many average/shabby DIY conversions that make a good van look rough.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. You're right about shoddy finish. I'd hate it if it looked a DIY project.

Are slidepods members on here? Would love to see some pictures. I'll have a scout on google to see prices etc.

Thanks for the advice.

Andrew.

Check out their media gallery, plenty of photos to drewl over.

do slidepods just do under seat units? I wanted a standing unit down the side rather than under seat. Problem is I've already bought a 3/4 bed ready for a side unit.

"yea, definitely have any gas work tested" @Loz

Well I don't read German however those pictures tell me what I need to do.

Hi all -

I've looked through slidepods and it appears they don't do the stand alone pods that sit under the window. Shame really as they look really good quality.

I have found Clearcut Conversions.. Excel Curve 1350mm Pod Unit. 39l Vitrofrigo compresor Fridge, Smev 9222

I like the look of these and for £1500 it will give me everything I need.. Does anyone have any info of these pods and if they're any good?

Thanks

Andy
No I can't see the point of a camper having a sink which is why I went for a Beach, I cook outside and use the campsite facility's to wash up in but everyone to their own

Back