Noisy Internal Heater Fan

chappers0987

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help.

I’m one month out of warranty and have gotten in the van this morning turned the heater to position 4 to clear the windows and it’s making a terrible vibrating noise as if the fan is working overtime. Seems to be fine in positions 1 and 2. Hard to tell on position 3.

Seems the noise happens on every direction setting and recirculate. A/c on or off doesn’t change it either.

The noise is coming from the glove box area and you can hear it outside the van too. I’ve shone a light through the plastic flashing below the windscreen and the intake vent appears free of debris.
model is t6 kombi 204dsg 4 motion if it helps.

appreciate any help you might be able to give.

Sounds like a a fan is working loose or breaking. Probably a job for a garage unless you're confident taking your dash to pieces.

Here’s a link to the T5 ventilation fan removal, note that it’s a left hand drive model in the video. There is a good chance the T6 is the same or very similar.
With the motor / fan unit removed it should be a fairly simple diagnosis, obstruction touching fan or motor bearings would be my guess.

Before starting to tear down just try a window or door open so that air can escape freely.

My t6 the van only working on number 4. Not making any sounds on 1.2.3 plus most of the time is either blowing hot or cold air. Never in between. Am the same just ran out of warranty. :(

My t6 the van only working on number 4. Not making any sounds on 1.2.3 plus most of the time is either blowing hot or cold air. Never in between. Am the same just ran out of warranty. :(

it’s any easy fix - just search for the relevant thread.

Pete

@Pete C
Could you link the thread please or tell me the subject?

Mine has just started doing the same this morning!

Cheers

Once you‘ve renewed the resistor pack I would avoid setting 1 as this creates the most resistor heat. I’ve been running my fan on 2 and above without issues, previously on 1 I had two instances of resistor pack failure.

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help.

I’m one month out of warranty and have gotten in the van this morning turned the heater to position 4 to clear the windows and it’s making a terrible vibrating noise as if the fan is working overtime. Seems to be fine in positions 1 and 2. Hard to tell on position 3.

Seems the noise happens on every direction setting and recirculate. A/c on or off doesn’t change it either.

The noise is coming from the glove box area and you can hear it outside the van too. I’ve shone a light through the plastic flashing below the windscreen and the intake vent appears free of debris.
model is t6 kombi 204dsg 4 motion if it helps.

appreciate any help you might be able to give.
Hi!
Did you find the cause of the problem? Mine is just the same. I had another van where a workshop rag got pulled in to the fan box and made a terrible row!

Hi!
Did you find the cause of the problem? Mine is just the same. I had another van where a workshop rag got pulled in to the fan box and made a terrible row!
Hi,

Yes thanks I did in the end….Autoglass!! I had my windscreen replaced earlier in the year and they had forgot to remove a foam packer which had got sucked into the intake vent just below the windscreen. This was then rattling round inside the fan box.

I had to take it to a local garage in the end as I tried and failed after removing half the dash to get it out :slow rofl:

Pure guesswork but reverse polarity on the fan motor should spit it out the way it went in

Is removing the blower the same on T6 as on T5 - interestingly I've had a windscreen replace recently and today its started making a bassy hum like something got sucked in...!

Any tips on how to remove from here? T6 rather than T5, seems a bit different to the one in the video linked above.

IMG_8040.jpeg

Back