Noisy fuel pump MY2018 204

Zave

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hey guys, picked up my van today. Drove 20 miles then headed back to the dealer. The fuel pump is so loud and sounds like a washing machine. Dealer said he'd had 4 complaints from new 204s that week and that it must be a characteristic. Told me to monitor it and would book it in if need be. Anybody else have the same issue?

Hiya, I have done over 2k in my 204 DSG MY18 no issues or unusual noises like that sorry !
Hope you get it sorted.

Hiya, I have done over 2k in my 204 DSG MY18 no issues or unusual noises like that sorry !
Hope you get it sorted.
Thanks for feedback. I'll get it back to the dealer when I get a chance.

We've picked up a couple of noisy fuel pumps on 204's. They have all quietened down though, with time.

Hi I too have a brand new kombi 204 which I picked up from the dealer last weekend, it's now back with them as it sounds like a washing machine filling up. Not impressed given the cost of these vans, I made the dealer listen to another 204 which they had which was noise free. It turns out since booking it in, the dealer has received another complaint from someone with the same problem! Let me know what happens and visa versa

Hi I too have a brand new kombi 204 which I picked up from the dealer last weekend, it's now back with them as it sounds like a washing machine filling up. Not impressed given the cost of these vans, I made the dealer listen to another 204 which they had which was noise free. It turns out since booking it in, the dealer has received another complaint from someone with the same problem! Let me know what happens and visa versa

I got mine from the same place as you, they mentioned your washing machine complaint. Mine does seem to be quieting down though so shall persevere for 1000 miles.

Hey guys, picked up my van today. Drove 20 miles then headed back to the dealer. The fuel pump is so loud and sounds like a washing machine. Dealer said he'd had 4 complaints from new 204s that week and that it must be a characteristic. Told me to monitor it and would book it in if need be. Anybody else have the same issue?

Hi think I have the same issue, my dealership next to useless, is the noise on tick over and sounds like an old fashioned water pump going ?

Hi Andy, your not wrong about the dealerships I've still got an issue with mine, the dealer has had it for a month now, fuel pump has been changed and still the same washing machine noise, its not a general charateristic of the 204 engines as I made them listen to various others in two different dealerships and none of them had the noise (also brand new vans), since then they have had several others come in and its now been escallated to VW HQ and I'm waiting for the outcome, but as usual they never phone, you have to chase them!

Thanks Rob, these vans don't come cheap do they !! The customer service I believe is atrocious, I've had problem after problem with mine they had my van for over a week and put 500 Miles on it I wasn't impressed, given the chance I would have returned the van at the drop of a hat and changed for an alternative manufacturer, so is yours still making the odd noise?

Maybe air causing cavitation that eventually bled through the system?

Had the van for coming up for a year and has 14000 on the clock, the noise is intermittent and noticed it to three days after picking the van up, do you think it could be something to do with the drivetrain that's when I put it in neutral it stops?

Just curious. How did you pinpoint source of the noise to fuel pump? Stethoscope? Or is it so obvious? I have listened several 150ps and 204ps engines because of strange noise on my 150ps engine. And, have been checking also fuel pumps with a stethoscope. And, yes, fuel pump on 204ps engine is different one.

Just curious. How did you pinpoint source of the noise to fuel pump? Stethoscope? Or is it so obvious? I have listened several 150ps and 204ps engines because of strange noise on my 150ps engine. And, have been checking also fuel pumps with a stethoscope. And, yes, fuel pump on 204ps engine is different one.
I haven't found the source of the noise on my 204, it's driving mad, fuel pump my next port of call with the dealership who couldn't find there backside with both hands

Reactions: mmi
Well finally VW have told me the root cause of my 204 with the noisy fuel pump/ washing machine noise from the fuel tank area, by the way my dealer has several others the same! They contacted VW HQ and were told that its metal filings somehow left in from manufacture and said they were going to have to change the complete fuel system, tank, lines, injectors etc etc. At which point I rejected it bearing in mind they have had it since September and still haven't fixed it. To be fair there was no arguement and they've ordered a new replacement, fingers crossed the new one doesn't have the same problem.

I don't blame you for rejecting it I would have done the same, do you get a courtesy until new van arrives ?
What lead time did they give you ?

Back