Noise Pulling Away In Morning

dmk

mojaveist
T6 Pro
When my van has sat all night (or all day), it makes a kind of mechanical noise from the front, like something is releasing.
Like the sound a car makes from the rear when a handbrake stick for a moment, but this is from the front

Its got a DSG gearbox ... does it grip the front brakes when its in parked?

The noise "sounds" like the front brakes releasing from a binded state (?)

Only does it after its sat still for several hours

Any ideas please?

What, van, engine, mileage, year?

When were the pads/discs last changed? We're they OEM?

The DSG box locks it's self internally and doesn't touch the brakes.

The handbrake locks the rears only.

Rain and rust on the rotors can cause that effect.

Last edited:
2017 204 swb caravelle dsg

11000 miles

Just been serviced last week at VW, still 60% left on original pads

Ok,

60% is still a good pad/rotor...

sounding like normal brake binding.... though normally more evident from the rears due to the handbrake...

Any chance you can catch it on a video clip?

I suspect it’s just the pads letting go of the discs as the van starts to move. Mine makes a noise when I pull away if I’ve left it sat there a while.

Yes, will try to get a video clip

im now wondering whether Im correct saying its coming from the front (it does sound that way, but sometimes sounds can be deceiving ...)

I will try not using the handbrake for a couple days (my drive is flat/level) to see whether I still get the noise.

I suspect it’s just the pads letting go of the discs as the van starts to move. Mine makes a noise when I pull away if I’ve left it sat there a while.

This ^

If the disks/pads are wet when parked up then rust can form between the pad and the disk and hold them together, when you start to move this rust needs to be broken. It can feel like the brakes are stuck on for a moment. You can also sometimes get a slight grinding noise when applying the brakes lightly until the rust gets worn off.

Interesting......mine just been to dealer ref noise after pulling away from cold, 2017 204 DSG. They couldn’t hear it, mine is quiet then at about 10 /15 mph I get mechanical noise for not even a second, almost like a gear crunching. Although it does not seem to happen when it changes gear, I’m sort of convinced it’s DSG realated

Quick update in case its of use to others ...

As said above, it was the rear brakes binding / handbrake.
No noise at all if no handbrake used overnight and in "park" mode on DSG.

Odd, as it sounded like it was coming from the front !

Thanks for the replies all.

Back