No sound from drivers side speakers?

Daz395

T6 Pro
Having picked up my van I’ve only got sound coming from the passenger side. Balance is set to the middle on the standard head unit but drivers side is totally dead. I can see that there is a wiring loom under the passenger seat for a Kenwood subwoofer which I believe was installed by VW but now has the actual sub missing, leaving only the wiring and wired remote in the glove box.
Is there any obvious things I should check first before pulling the head unit out to trace the wiring? I’m guessing that even with the subwoofer speaker missing the original speakers should be working fine?

As always any advice appreciated.

Probably not going to be your problem but I had the same thing happen to me the other day - only had sound on the right side - balance in centre on head unit so thought it must have been the speakers, that was until I remembered I had the audio output on my phone set to the right as I'd been listening to it with just the one ear bud in!

Having picked up my van I’ve only got sound coming from the passenger side. Balance is set to the middle on the standard head unit but drivers side is totally dead. I can see that there is a wiring loom under the passenger seat for a Kenwood subwoofer which I believe was installed by VW but now has the actual sub missing, leaving only the wiring and wired remote in the glove box.
Is there any obvious things I should check first before pulling the head unit out to trace the wiring? I’m guessing that even with the subwoofer speaker missing the original speakers should be working fine?

As always any advice appreciated.
Water ingress into the back of the speaker in the door would be my guess. VW don't fit kenwood speakers, that would be something aftermarket. Are you still getting sound from the tweeter in the A pillar (if you have one)?

Water ingress into the back of the speaker in the door would be my guess. VW don't fit kenwood speakers, that would be something aftermarket. Are you still getting sound from the tweeter in the A pillar (if you have one)?
No sound from drivers tweeter either. Would taking door card off be first thing to check or should I take head unit out and unplug the kenwood wiring loom. I thought I’d read that VW fitted the kenwood sub as a option. Bought my van from listers and was a demo van. Seems to have had a few extras done by someone. It’s been lowered, has lights in doors and footwell etc.

If there’s no sound from the tweeter then it’s probably something different. By VW I meant from the factory. If it’s been fitted by the dealer then they probably use a company to retro fit for them. I’d definitely look at where they’ve spliced into the loom for the sub and also you could swap the speaker channels over in the quadloc to verify it’s not the head unit.

If there’s no sound from the tweeter then it’s probably something different. By VW I meant from the factory. If it’s been fitted by the dealer then they probably use a company to retro fit for them. I’d definitely look at where they’ve spliced into the loom for the sub and also you could swap the speaker channels over in the quadloc to verify it’s not the head unit.
Thanks for the advice. Hope to have a good look into it tomorrow.

Back