No Claims Protection? Is It Worth Paying For?

Grainfoot

T6 Pro
I have 40 yrs of driving never a claim. Wife has 20 years without a claim ( would have more but drove through a huge puddle and killed engine)
Seems max ncd most insurance company's give is 7 yrs so the other 13 yr claim free is irrelevant . We have two vehicles , one in wife's name one in mine. It seems to me if one of us has an accident other insurance company will put premium up as a driver named on policy Had an accident. Also are we then stuck with insurance company we made claim through as if we changed we would have to declare accident putting premium up regardless.
This totaly confuses me.

Its worth it as a NCB gives you an instant reduction on your premium.

If you had a Fault accident and didnt protect it then next year premiums would be huge.

If you have a Fault accident and do protect it then whilst your premium would go up as you have had a claim, you would still be entitled to the No claims Bonus discount softening the blow somewhat.

The fact is a premium will always go up, the protected no claims just means it wont go up as much.

Is it only protected if you stay with the same insurer or will it carry over to another company ?

Your current insurer will provide you with proof of NCB for you to use with any other insurer. The hit will be when the new insurer says have you had any claims in the last 5 years.

Weirdly enough, my insurance company rang me this evening and told me that they'd noticed my excess was way too high, and for £6 added to my premium they'd refund any excess up to £1000 should I ever need to make a claim. (almost a mini insurance policy against an insurance policy conundrum) :confused:

I agreed, just like I agreed with the same company last year, but one cannot help but wonder if this is just another add-on that I pay for, even though it's only £6, and why they feel the need to call after my policy restarts.

Ok another way of looking at it. I am owner/main driver, wife has accident in her own vehicle how does this affect my protected no claims. I have to declare it as she is a named driver on my insurance.

Just got myself a mini for running to work in, and an expensive replacement for using a van with crappy lights over the winter. I didn't realise I couldn't use my full no claims I've amassed over the years for the second vehicle !!
What a rip off, so have to start from zero on the mini, this bumping the price up, surely its the Person that drives it not the vehicle that causes an accident ?

Just got myself a mini for running to work in, and an expensive replacement for using a van with crappy lights over the winter. I didn't realise I couldn't use my full no claims I've amassed over the years for the second vehicle !!
What a rip off, so have to start from zero on the mini, this bumping the price up, surely its the Person that drives it not the vehicle that causes an accident ?

If you get a multi vehicle policy then the NCD will be on both vehicles.

Direct line didn't give me that option, my T6 is with Brentacre and although great for van insurance , they appear dearer for car insurance compared to others, swings and roundabouts I guess.

I took insurance out with Brentacre a week or so ago, their website makes a point of them mirroring no claims bonus off main vehicle,
We don’t think it’s fair to be paying for a policy on 0 bonus when you’ve earned 15 years NCB on your main car! So we (and many other brokers and insurers) can ‘mirror’ your no claims to provide a discount on the 0 bonus policy as if you had bonus to apply.
So I got proof of no claims entitlement off my current insurer (20 years) and forwarded it on to them.
A day later I get an email back saying that I need to cancel my other policy in order for them to use my 20 years NCB on my T6 policy???

Didn't won't to open a new thread so hopefully you guys have the answer , my current insurance is with Adrian flux and the actual company is Ageas ,now my insurance is up on the 1st of January 2020 so AV started to get some quotes and really like my justkampers quote so I have decided to take it on , now with my car I always get a renewal quote through the post and it has my proof of ncb but unfortunately I haven't had a renewal from Adrian flux with my ncb , is it the case of having to call them for the proof of claims on the 2nd of January 2020, first time dealing with Adrian flux if I'm honest

Justkampers should be able to quote based on what you are telling them your NCB bonus is, they will then give you x amount of days when the policy goes live to provide the evidence. Adrian Flux wont release the NCB bonus until the policy is lapsed on 2nd January. hope this helps

Cheerz ,it does help I,believe I have 14 days after policy commences to provide the details required , so a phone call after the new year will be the plan :thumbsup:

I had 20+ years of NCD, (max allowed is 9) I always thought that a prang would step it down a little...a driver stopped me in a queue of traffic and claimed I had knocked their mirror when they were going the opposite direction (the glass was cracked on theirs and no damage at all to mine and I most certainly did not hit anyone's mirror)...there was/is no proof of this, but the driver claimed for whiplash, £850 for a new wing mirror and **28** days for a courtesy car, clearly some sort of scam but my 9 years NCD dropped to 4 years and renewal was expensive for me AND the claim is recorded against me even though 2 years later we have still not got to court.

Yes, it's worth it.

Last edited:
I would be fuming, however this will get throw out. There is no whiplash from a wing mirror and a courtesy car is free - Id be having words with insurer as to why they have paid for any of this.

I would be fuming, however this will get throw out. There is no whiplash from a wing mirror and a courtesy car is free - Id be having words with insurer as to why they have paid for any of this.

We'll see...it's County Court. I've had to hold my insurers hand the whole way, with them saying it cheaper to pay out than defend. It was LV BTW, please avoid them! The personal injury has already been dropped but the repair and car hire is still ongoing.

What vehicle was it that you apparently hit? £850 is an expensive piece of glass! They have obviously inflated all costs and replaced the whole unit which if it has blind spot sensors and heated mirror and indicator can be very £££.

funny that as I had the exact same car and had to replace a wing mirror, cost under £150 painted

Back