Night Heater location - internal or external??

Mine's a 2KW heater (Chinese) with hot air ducting running from below the driver's seat, across under the exhaust (heat wrapped) and up under the passenger seat. No concerns yet about heat loss, so I've not insulated the ducting.

It was that format that I used on one campers and I wrapped the air pipe with Thinsulate. However my air pipe went above a modified version of the heat-shield running it between the heat-shield and the floor.

fitted mine inside done the same with my t4, mainly due to my set up, everyone just does what the converters do.

Mine's external. If it was done again, i'd go internal. Much easier for servicing. The noise annoyance is with the fuel pump which stays outside whether the heater is fitted in or out.

Mine's external. If it was done again, i'd go internal. Much easier for servicing. The noise annoyance is with the fuel pump which stays outside whether the heater is fitted in or out.
Pump noise is mainly down to the fitment method of the pump AND the pipes to and from it. Pump fitted on a good rubber mounting, pipes looped or curved adjacent to the pump so as to minimise noise transmission onto the vehicle structure. Also be aware that the pipe from the pump to the heater will transmit the pump pulse noise onto the body structure depending on how and where it touches / is fixed.
A genuine Eberspacher should need minimal maintenance and fitted in the OEM position with the exhaust facing inwards and backwards protected by the original plastic shields will work for years without any attention. Mine is into its sixth year of operation without any problems.

The main factor when deciding where to locate your air heater is where you are planning to travel.

If you are likely to go offroad and do the fording, you must mount your heater internally.
Your heater mounted under the body will only last a first decent ford. After this you will most likely face the need to buy the new unit.

On the other hand, if you are not going offroad, a heater mounted under the body will save precious space in the van itself that you could use to place inverter and other gadgets. Yes, the noise might be a bit higher but the primary decision driver should be your travel plans.

Another thing worth considering - my external heater failed to start the other morning, as the fuel line froze/thickened. It started after driving for half an hour. Only relevant if an internal fuel supply is an option.

Last edited:
Another thing worth considering - my external heater failed to start the other morning, as the fuel line froze/thickened. It started after driving for half an hour. Only relevant if an internal fuel supply is an option.
Most probably you had summer fuel in the pipes still instead of winter fuel.

Thanks for the many replies. I was thinking about going down the clone route, but have decided that after spending nearly 30k on the Van, and a lot more since. I couldn't put my trust in a cheap Chinese copy. Therefore, it is either a Eber or Webasto. And looking through the above posts, it seems to be more of a preference to where the Heater is sited. Than opposed to manufacturers recommendations... Hmm, still undecided!! :laugh:
I have the autotherm in my t5.1 swb. I purchased the additional mounting plate and have it under the van in the space used by VW. The heater has proved faultless, is quiet, economic and provides great heat levels. Not cheap but not as expensive as the main two mentioned. Comes with 2 years warranty.

Back