Nic's Centre Dash-Console swap

ZipcodeUK

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Got my mits on a centre console, and a few other dash parts over the weekend.

Will try and do a small right up as I go along in case others want to follow the same path.

Today's job was to figure out what I have and what I still needed to get from Pauly. Hopefully that is sorted now and some parts will arrive tomorrow so I can finish the install.
I also got a replacement glovebox, with all the bits I need for attaching the cooling hardware. As a bonus, it's also from the comfort dash spec so is nicely flocked with some insulation, compared to our poverty spec part that comes as std in our 30k plus highlines (tight arse be!!!) . .
Spent an hour swapping over some mounting hardware, the lock and a few bits so it can be reinstalled after the centre console. See pics below

IMG_8359.JPG IMG_8360.JPG IMG_8361.JPG

Here my guide to the centre console installation:

Tools:
Trim romoval kit
Torx bit set (2 sizes needed)
Cutting tool ( Dremmel / junior hacksaw etc)

Start on left side and remove the panel, (Clips only) once out unplug the airbag connector.
IMG_0916.JPG IMG_0918.JPG

Remove the lower panel under the glovebox (clips only
IMG_0919.JPG
Remove the glove box: 3 x screws below
IMG_0922.JPG
The open the glove box, 4x screw along the top.
IMG_0923.JPG

Remove the right side panel (same as the left, without the need to unplug anything)
IMG_0932.JPG

Then remove the black panel underneath the drivers side footwell (no screws, only clips along the front edge)
IMG_0933.JPG

Remove the headlight switch, so video link below for demo:
Dropbox - Headlight switch removal.mov

Disconnect the wiring from the light switch, and remove the screw tonthe rear at the bottom of the housing.
IMG_8401.JPG

Remove the trim below the steering wheel, (clips only)
Unplug the dimmer/ headlight adjuster.
IMG_8402.JPG
IMG_8403.JPG

Remove the small disc on the gear stick and unscrew the torque screw
IMG_0928.JPG IMG_0929.JPG

Remove the gear knob and the spring
IMG_0939.JPG

Remove the black trim surround
IMG_0940.JPG IMG_0941.JPG

Remove the access lid to the fuse box and remove the screw
IMG_0942.JPG

Remove the screw on the screw on the left side of the console.
IMG_0930.JPG

And remove the 2screws to the left of the small consoles.
IMG_0924.JPG

Remove the two screws on the right (drivers side) of the console.
IMG_0938.JPG

Pull the centre console towards you and downwards, there are a few clips running along the top edge (below the heated controls)
Unplug the cigarette socket)
IMG_0943.JPG

You should now be at this stage:
IMG_0944.JPG

If you are running cooling pipes then you need to follow these next steps for plumbing in pipe works.

Remove the radio trim surround which also includes the two vents. Start at the top left corner and work your way accross. Once the top edge is lose then do the bottom.

IMG_0948.JPG

Then remove the vent on the left side. Start with a trim removal tool at the bottom and firmly press the vent upward. I found you have to leave a trim tool in the lower edge while then prying the top edge out. The vents are really tight if they've not been removed before.

Then remove the top console: there is one screw which is accessed front the glovebox.

IMG_0946.JPG

To remove the top console, you need more than trim tool. It takes a lot of effort and you have to firmly leverage the unit out as the clips aren't really designed for being removed. I started along the right side first, then moved accross the top right side to left. I spent about 30min removing this. I've posted the image of the compartment removed so you can see where the clips are.
IMG_0949.JPG

To locate the grommit for connecting the t-piece you need to feel in the top right corner. You have to run your hand over the back plastic unit and as you move you hand over the right edge of the box you can feel the grommet
IMG_0951.JPG

To remove the grommet, with you right hand wedge the angled trim tool under the grommet (use your left hand to help line the trim tool up) it should pop off)
IMG_0953.JPG

The pipe kit you get isn't long enough to reach both the glovebox and the bottle cooler. It's fine if you only do one or the other, but the short hose is too short to reach the glovebox or the bottle cooler.
I needed to connect both the glovebox and bottle cooler, so basically what I did was add a small piece of hydraulic hose into the short pipe

IMG_0954.JPG

I then connected up the T piece and routed the long pipe from where the grommet is down to the centre console (behind the re-enforcement bar)
The pipe is plenty long enough so I cut some off the end leaving just enough to reach the plastic pipe connector: below shows how to mount the plastic pipe kit. Attach the hose before mounting the plastic fitting.
IMG_0965.JPG

The piece I cut off, I then used by connecting it to the short hose which now has the small piece of hydraulic pipe in it. Below is the result.
IMG_0956.JPG

Finally, connect the hose to the glovebox cooler fitting.

To fit the centre console, you need to trim the black plastic cover that's fitted over the floor which protest the wiring / gear shift components. In total I trimmed about 3 inches of the left edge down to about 2 inches accross the front left edge.

IMG_0968.JPG

I had to putt a couple small cuts into the rubber flooring to enable the lower edge to fit nicely. Screw in the hex screw to the right of the dues holder and the 3x screws on the left (and 2 on the right side no pic sorry)
IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0973.JPG

The screw in the 2 screws above the black plastic tray and another 2 accross the top edge of the console
IMG_0970.JPG

I clip the gear 'gaitor' by releasing the 3 clips. Tip, undo the top one first before the sides.

IMG_0976.JPG

Then reinstall the gaitor onto the new top panel. Do so before mounting the panel as it requires quite a firm push to click in the clips.
Clip the top panel by starting at the top edge first then the bottom.
IMG_0977.JPG

Then, refit the glovebox, lower dash trims, light switch holder and switches.
Refit the side panels (don't forget to plug in the airbag switch) and reinstall the two footwell panels.

Hopefully, you now have something like this.

IMG_0979.JPG

Awesome right up. Do you happen to have a list of part numbers required for the job? This is a mod I'm wanting to do.

I was just thinking to make this a one stop thread with part numbers and a good indepth how too guide with photos which this is we could get all the info on this thread. Saves pauly getting the same email each time someone wants to do this mod. I shall enquire nearer the time when I've got spare funds.

I was just thinking to make this a one stop thread with part numbers and a good indepth how too guide with photos which this is we could get all the info on this thread. Saves pauly getting the same email each time someone wants to do this mod. I shall enquire nearer the time when I've got spare funds.

Agreed, @Pauly is going to clean the thread up so it can be used as a guide. I'm sure he could add the parts lists, great idea

Agreed, @Pauly is going to clean the thread up so it can be used as a guide. I'm sure he could add the parts lists, great idea
Fair play it seems an idiot proof guide here and is exactly what I've been looking for. Once its been tidied it could be a popular thread.
The forum seems to be getting a few really good how too guides at the minute. It's really good to see as even the best guides have found information from other threads. We've got a really community feel about the forum.

Also, just to add:
A: I'm still struggling to remove the cigarette socket. Even once it's out of the old console / holder trying to split the outer plastic housing from the metal ring / chassis is not straight forward.

B: I've not yet cut the old fuse box lid to cover the small 'gap' at the lower left side. I have the rubber floor and the gap is really small and only noticeable when looking into the car from the passenger door. If it bothers me I'll put the lid in but for now I'm ok with it, here is a pic:

IMG_8437.JPG

And a few more photos just to show how small / un-noticeable the gap is. You really have to lean down to see it.

IMG_8466.JPG IMG_8467.JPG IMG_8469.JPG

Great write up mate :thumbsup: does the van feel any quieter on the road with the extra sound deadening that these parts have compared to the older trims? Think I would leave that small gap as it is, really got to look for it.

Great write up mate :thumbsup: does the van feel any quieter on the road with the extra sound deadening that these parts have compared to the older trims? Think I would leave that small gap as it is, really got to look for it.

Well, I don't think you can really tell if there is any difference. But I've not done a proper drive since fitting it so will wait and see. I'd be surprised if it's noticeable.

Also, just to add:
A: I'm still struggling to remove the cigarette socket. Even once it's out of the old console / holder trying to split the outer plastic housing from the metal ring / chassis is not straight forward.

View attachment 14588
I recently swapped my cigarette lighter ring for an illuminated one. If you look inside the socket there are two black plastic lugs holding the collar to the metal part. An electrical screwdriver will nicely push them out and then the metal part slides out easily. You then depress the black clips on the collar and remove it from the trim, should all come out without damage for reuse.

Yeah, I've been trying that but the plastic lugs will not budge!!
I found putting the screwdriver inside then pushing it between the metal and collar lug whilst trying to move the collar slightly worked to ‘trap’ one lug then same with the other. Failing that, break the collar off and I will post you mine as it is no longer required.

Back