thought i would share my suspension journey and hopefully it might help others in the decision making process. Started with replacing the standard springs with a set of H&R 40mm lowering. Initially i thought this was a big improvement, the van sat nicer and did seem to handle better. The standard 17" wheels went and were replaced with 8.5x20 with 275/40 tyres which as we all know is not ideal but cheap and i didn't have any rubbing issues so all good. next was to replace the ARB's with H&R items which again gave improvements to handling. Thoughts then turned to the minefield of coilers. i Probably read every post on the forum twice trying to decide on what lowering i wanted and then to tyre sizes to suit. After some months of faffing, i narrowed it down to 2 choices, Koni/H&R or Solows. For the drop i was looking, the H&R setup would have been sitting fully wound down whereas the solow would be at the top of the travel range so my reasoning was that the solow would probably perform better in that range. (i will stand corrected on this)
Heart said Solows and a set were ordered and fitted last week. Next was tyres decision and again to avoid rubbing issues i wanted to get it right 1st time. Again all threads were scanned and studied to find the most suitable for the Fuel 18's. Went for 255/45 rated at 103 and fitted to the van. Now the solows are set at fully wound up front and rear and the camper conversion brings it down a little further too. The ride is very impressive, not crashy like the standard setup and theres no rubbing on arch liners or the wing front or rear. It is comfortble in a straight line but totally transformed when you stick it into a roundabout. I could probably drop by another 20mm or so without issues but i love the way the van sits now and how the tyres fill the arches and i do have to negotiate campsites so will not tempt fate and risk any more. In summary, I'm very happy with the package and glad i chose the Solow option. It has been said many times on the forum about how good the Solows are and i couldn't agree more. If anyone is in a similar dilemma, give the solows serious consideration. you will not regret it

Hi good afternoon all we are new members and new owners of a t6 camper van just had 3 weeks travelling around Cornwall can anybody help with advice for upgrades for the suspension for a better comfortable ride to do away with the body roll when cornering and to help with making the camper feel like your actually driving it and not flowing and rocking like your at sea also alloy wheel upgrades we have got a few wild camping trips booked in Scotland in November December so we was thinking of the all terrain tyres and alloys 17 - 18 s but would like to keep the comfort so we don’t want the big alloys with low profile tyres many thanks 52985AC1-D187-4E37-9665-396AF3DE1CAB.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
Hi guys,

recently got a 2018 t28 t6, it’ll be converted to a camper. Looking at suspension options what do you think of the below?

not looking to go crazy low and will likely be running 20’s.

cheers

I’d say get it converted first, then have the suspension fitted to correct the way the van sits etc.
I’ve got a T32 and did a full conversion and it sat lower at the back. I then went to CRS performance and got the suspension swapped and the correct rated H&R springs to lower the van and make it sit level and drive nicely.
I think if you lower it first then throw a load of weight in it, especially with it being a T28 then you might find it doesn’t drive right.
However, if you put coil overs on then maybe that’s a different story and you can adjust them accordingly after the conversion weight is added.
I’m sure someone who knows about coilovers will be along very soon to explain that one.

I’d say get it converted first, then have the suspension fitted to correct the way the van sits etc.
I’ve got a T32 and did a full conversion and it sat lower at the back. I then went to CRS performance and got the suspension swapped and the correct rated H&R springs to lower the van and make it sit level and drive nicely.
I think if you lower it first then throw a load of weight in it, especially with it being a T28 then you might find it doesn’t drive right.
However, if you put coil overs on then maybe that’s a different story and you can adjust them accordingly after the conversion weight is added.
I’m sure someone who knows about coilovers will be along very soon to explain that one.
Wot he said!

Hi guys,

recently got a 2018 t28 t6, it’ll be converted to a camper. Looking at suspension options what do you think of the below?

not looking to go crazy low and will likely be running 20’s.

cheers
Don’t touch it. 50 to 60 mm is a lot for the very capable shocks we fit. The B4 aren’t performance shocks. They won’t cope at all. , please rethink this before you waste a lot of money ! Those shocks won’t cope well with the additional unsprung weight of the bigger wheels either !

Don’t touch it. 50 to 60 mm is a lot for the very capable shocks we fit. The B4 aren’t performance shocks. They won’t cope at all. , please rethink this before you waste a lot of money ! Those shocks won’t cope well with the additional unsprung weight of the bigger wheels either !
Thanks Steve, appreciate the comment. Would you say the B14 coilovers are a better option?

Thanks Steve, appreciate the comment. Would you say the B14 coilovers are a better option?
No I would say thats the worst option. That is one of the kits we remove all the time. sadly the guys selling that kit don’t have much else to offer So that’s what they sell. Research on here about B14 spring problems , it doesn’t suit campers because the rear springs are poor design and break a lot !,,, there are much better options . Have a look on the Bilstein web site to see how good that kit is actually

Back