Uprated gas-struts for bike rack weight

Parvus

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

Well.. yesterday collected T6 camper! Still smiling and excited for the adventures to come!

It included the VW 4 bike holder for the tailgate model which is the Thule Wanderway (I think). Once installed the struts are not strong enough to hold the tailgate and rack combination.

I want to replace with the best options and looking for advice and experience. A quick google and can find options 1200Nm for less than £40 pair.

A couple of Q's to help:
- Once upgraded, how will the tailgate behave when no bike rack is installed, will they hinder operation swiftly opening in dangerous manner?
- What struts would be recommended to replace the OEM versions?

Any installation advice or other welcome.

Thanks,
Matt

I have a set of aftermarket 1200N struts if you want them but I have a VW T5 style rack fitted and it was really difficult to close especially for the wife so I recently changed them for the mid spec 985N version. These seem almost too light but do hold up the tailgate fine.

to give you an idea of the difference, when changing them over I removed the first 1200N strut and the tailgate stayed up with one strut fine, fitted the 985N then moved to the second one disconnected the 1200N strut and the tailgate fell onto my head!

I have the tailgate lined and trimmed with maybe some insulation but I don’t think much and no chairs or anything. If you have anything like the chair pods you will probably need the 1200N

You definitely don’t want the 1200N struts fitted without the rack on. The 985 version should be ok (I haven’t checked either though)

I’ve got the 1200N struts, our bike rack stays on all the time as we use it a couple of times a week. I did remove it once and found the tailgate swings up with quite a force and is difficult to close, that was in winter time so would have been even harder in hot weather. As stated above I wouldn’t recommend the 1200N struts unless you will leave the rack on all the time.

Amazing... thanks for the info and experiences.

Maybe I should try 985 replacement 1st, hopefully strong enough for bike rack. Once removed do you think these will be easy to operate?

Any recommendations on models/sites? I can google no worries and see the options.

Thanks,
Matt

I have a 1200N (VW brand) on mine and I do stand back when I open the tailgate (with rack) when it opens because it swings up quicker than the when it was fitted with the original struts and without the rack. It doesn’t fly up, so I’m not worried about it damaging the hinges etc. I tend to leave the rack on because of the effort involved in removing and storing. The rack weight is about 15kg and the only time when I have had the 1200N struts fitted, but no rack, I have tied a similarly weighted bag to the hand-strap on the inside as a counterweight.

Nice!

Removing/fitting the struts is a ten minute job. Best do this before fitting the rack and easier to swap one at a time.
You will see a metal spring ‘C’ at each end of each strut. Use a screw driver to pull them away from the end. They may come completely off (but they don’t need to be), just make sure they don’t ping off and you lose them. Either get someone to hold the tailgate open while you pop-off each end of the strut from the ball-pin attached to the van body, or do the next stages one handed whilst holding open the tailgate. The struts won’t fall off, but will need a bit of a tug. WARNING - ALWAYS KEEP THE TAILGATE SUPPORTED - it will have insufficient support with one strut fitted and will fall.
Fit the new strut (wide diameter end uppermost) by pushing the ends onto the ball-pins. No need to take-off the ‘C’ clips. Twist the cylinder of the strut by hand to line-up the connection to the ball-pin. Once one end is fitted, open or close the strut by hand to adjust the length to get the second end to mate with the other ball-pin.

Thanks ordered, I had bought from SGS engineering, had a bad experience. After speaking to an expert and explaining the tailgate was sagging due to the silent coat and insulation and given I had an over tailgate awning weighing 5kg they recommended 1050n. They arrived as 1150, I asked to return and they said they had made a typo when quoting me 1050 was required and to try them (this was after a week of no relpy). Reluctantly I did only they didn't even fit! I pushed the tailgate up as much as possible (it felt like I was damaging the hinges) but there was no way, so returned them, this is the short version after 6 weeks of too-ing and frowing, coupled with a £60 price tag I've just ordered the 985n as per the link above. Thanks

You should be able to adjust the length of the strut during fitting by pushing (or pulling) the piston by hand without too much effort.

You should be able to adjust the length of the strut during fitting by pushing (or pulling) the piston by hand without too much effort.
After a summer of excess I’ve got quite a belly on me and I’m not sure I could move the 1200N struts I had first using my full weight!

honestly I tried to push in the piston it was not for shifting. Hopefully the 985's will work out :)

just to update, I bout the 985's
Thanks ordered, I had bought from SGS engineering, had a bad experience. After speaking to an expert and explaining the tailgate was sagging due to the silent coat and insulation and given I had an over tailgate awning weighing 5kg they recommended 1050n. They arrived as 1150, I asked to return and they said they had made a typo when quoting me 1050 was required and to try them (this was after a week of no relpy). Reluctantly I did only they didn't even fit! I pushed the tailgate up as much as possible (it felt like I was damaging the hinges) but there was no way, so returned them, this is the short version after 6 weeks of too-ing and frowing, coupled with a £60 price tag I've just ordered the 985n as per the link above. Thanks
I bought the 985n from the link above....fast forward a few months and i have just ordered 1200n from here VW Transporter T6 Tailgate Gas Struts Uprated(1200N) For Bike Rack (Pair) – StrutsDepot – Your Online Gas Struts Depot after the 985s still didn't hold the tailgate, bearing in mind there is no bike rack just silent coated and insulated tailgate maybe I got a duff set? I will update on the 1200n when they arrive and are fitted.

Anyone else find the tailgate (with bike rack ) barely stays up ? Mine slams shut if I get in van and move or the added weight from rain can have same affect , once’s it goes it has some momentum and wouldn’t want my body in the way . Just wondering if there's any upgraded struts above 1200nm that will solve it ?

Anyone else find the tailgate (with bike rack ) barely stays up ? Mine slams shut if I get in van and move or the added weight from rain can have same affect , once’s it goes it has some momentum and wouldn’t want my body in the way . Just wondering if there's any upgraded struts above 1200nm that will solve it ?
That’s not right. I’ve got the 1200N struts on mine with a VW bike rack and it needs a good tug to pull down, it also quite easily stays open with a single bike on the innermost position.

I reckon you’ve got a dodgy strut on there that needs to be replaced.

hmm thats good but i posted it on a cali site too lots of people with same same , maybe yours doesn't have the added weight of the seats sorry i should of said its a cali

Back