Newbie on the lookout, what's too much?

MotoVenture

Hey folks, newbie here. Relatively new to the world of vans but completely new to (one day) owning one.

I've sold my car to fund a self-build van, semi-conversion for now as I want to have space for MTB and pulling over and camping for long weekends. Ideally after a T6 Highline but trendline is also an option.

I've seen a nice 2017 T6 with 95k miles on from a dealer wanting 19.8k (vat included) and just want to see, is this the mileage a bit too high for the price? I know demand is super high and pushing prices up but I don't want to pay over the odds for a van that may not be worth it.

Please help! Happy to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Thank you

Welcome!
There are so many variables, service history, spec / options, engine output, general condition, etc, that make it very unlikely that any of us can tell you from your post if you're looking at a bargain or a rip off. Sorry that's not very helpful!
Have you got a link to an advert? That would certainly help us to offer our thoughts.
Personally, the mileage wouldn't put me off if everything else is good.

Welcome!
There are so many variables, service history, spec / options, engine output, general condition, etc, that make it very unlikely that any of us can tell you from your post if you're looking at a bargain or a rip off. Sorry that's not very helpful!
Have you got a link to an advert? That would certainly help us to offer our thoughts.
As @DaveD said, mileage would be the least of my worries against the other stuff. I don’t think it is possible to post a link to the advert without VIP membership

Welcome!

Thanks Dave, yeah, I understand its quite hard to quote on these things. Hopefully this link will work:

Used Volkswagen Transporter T28 Swb Diesel 2.0 TDI BMT 102 Highline Van Euro 6 for Sale | Bristol Street Motors

I'm really keen on the highline as I'll be using it as my daily driver (occasional) any added features are a bonus. Saying that, once covid lifts it'll be used for much longer trips and basic-ish camping. Wondering if all that included merits the price tag, again, I'm smitten with the T6s though, heart and mind are at odds with each other!

Check out the VW Used van search.

For me Aircon is the only thing that I wanted as it can't be easily retro fitted.

It's probably the worse time in the last 10 years looking for a VW Van in respect of stock and prices

Thanks Dave, yeah, I understand its quite hard to quote on these things. Hopefully this link will work:

Used Volkswagen Transporter T28 Swb Diesel 2.0 TDI BMT 102 Highline Van Euro 6 for Sale | Bristol Street Motors

I'm really keen on the highline as I'll be using it as my daily driver (occasional) any added features are a bonus. Saying that, once covid lifts it'll be used for much longer trips and basic-ish camping. Wondering if all that included merits the price tag, again, I'm smitten with the T6s though, heart and mind are at odds with each other!
I think that's probably a very fair price in these very unusual times, I'd certainly want to go and have a test drive if I was in your situation.
It could be a good base van for you to modify how you like. I like the colour too!

I would definitely not go below Highline for the spec. T28 may limit your conversion due to weight and 102 is not a lot of power for a big van, especially if you plan on converting it.
Blackberry is the best colour.:thumbsup:

Tidy looking van and colour. As a daily driver, LED lights are a “must have” for me. All other stuff (reversing camera etc) you could do at your leisure. LED retrofit is bloomin expensive. Being a lazy sod, I’d prefer DSG (automatic). I must agree, probably the worst time ever to buy a van though - market is overheating

I would definitely not go below Highline for the spec. T28 may limit your conversion due to weight and 102 is not a lot of power for a big van, especially if you plan on converting it.
Blackberry is the best colour.:thumbsup:
I agree with your points but if the OP is looking at spending below £20K on the base van there will have to be compromises, lets face it he'd be getting Blackberry paint which surely makes up for the slightly lower power?

Check out the VW Used van search.

For me Aircon is the only thing that I wanted as it can't be easily retro fitted.

It's probably the worse time in the last 10 years looking for a VW Van in respect of stock and prices

Agreed, having read other threads AC seems to be a must! And don't remind me, wanted one early last year but put that dream on hold, bad decision

Without being too cliché, you only live once though, just gotta enjoy it!

I agree with your points but if the OP is looking at spending below £20K on the base van there will have to be compromises, lets face it he'd be getting Blackberry paint which surely makes up for the slightly lower power?
I hadn't picked up on the 20K limit. In which case I totally agree, Blackberry outweighs lower power. The van will look very smart even if it is in the slow lane.;)

I hadn't picked up on the 20K limit. In which case I totally agree, Blackberry outweighs lower power. The van will look very smart even if it is in the slow lane.;)
A simple remap with Pendle/revo etc will get you over 160bhp so I wouldn’t worry too much about power, only concession will be though that it may be a 5 speed rather than 6 speed.

I do love the colour, looks really smart :D in terms of remaps, what are people's experiences mapping a 5 speed 102?

Budget in current market means that 102 for a T6 seems to be the compromise, so a Pendle remap is definitely on the agenda if I don't manage to source a 6 speed.

Not in a rush to buy so torn between playing a waiting game for the van or snapping up a compromise. Cheers guys for all the help!

I do love the colour, looks really smart :D in terms of remaps, what are people's experiences mapping a 5 speed 102?

Budget in current market means that 102 for a T6 seems to be the compromise, so a Pendle remap is definitely on the agenda if I don't manage to source a 6 speed.

Not in a rush to buy so torn between playing a waiting game for the van or snapping up a compromise. Cheers guys for all the help!

I believe Revo have stopped offering maps for the 102 over issues with the turbos.

Highline v Trendline is not much difference if you can live without steering wheel controls. Once you fit a front fog light kit, they're pretty much identical from the outside. If you find a T-Line with tailgate and aircon, you can upgrade and retrofit much of the Highline extras anyway.

Totally agree and what I did to grab myself a bargain. Pendle are amazing, recognised by vw and a remap lowers your insurance if you have camper insurance ;-)

Back