Newbie Here!

paulfr

VIP Member
T6 Guru
We finally maked the plunge and bought a T6 camper......with a bit of inhertiance money!The mrs,me two kids and a jack will be coming to see all of you at the meet,be gentle on us because we have not got a clue about campervan camping!

We finally maked the plunge and bought a T6 camper......with a bit of inhertiance money!The mrs,me two kids and a jack will be coming to see all of you at the meet,be gentle on us because we have not got a clue about campervan camping!
Hi....Don’t worry must of us don’t have a clue ...we make up as we go along ....all my inheritance + my pension went along time ago ...once you buy a van :laugh:

Ours at the moment before it gets kitted out!Just a quick question,i have from reading on here that the head lights ain't very good,considering it's an ex AA van are the one's here any better than usual?Other thing is there seems to be a tow bar bracket,is it worth keeping this on for a bike rack?

Last edited:
Ours at the moment before it gets kitted out!Just a quick question,i have from reading on here that the head lights ain't very good,considering it's an ex AA van are the one's here any better than usual?Other thing is there seems to be a tow bar bracket,is it worth keeping this on for a bike rack?
You have the standard H4 headlights on that van, search the forums for H4 to get an opinion on them! They are not great but OK if you don't drive to fast down country lanes in the dark.
You have a tailgate so it's either a bike rack hanging off the rear door or a towbar option. There are a lot of good reviews on towbar mounted rack on this forum. The VW door one is good also but you can't open the rear with the bikes on. Some towbar mounted ones do allow that.
Looks like you got yourself a great project there. Best of luck & welcome.

Welcome
Keep the tow bar. It's useful even if only to deter people bump parking and getting too close

when I asked the RAC guy his opinion of his T6 (before I bought mine) he said great van, rubbish lights and so they had all changed the bulbs. Maybe the AA guys do the same?

when I asked the RAC guy his opinion of his T6 (before I bought mine) he said great van, rubbish lights and so they had all changed the bulbs. Maybe the AA guys do the same?
Hi @cleave14 ...what I don’t get for years most cars have had projector headlights ( or versions of ) but didnt the likes of VW think that van drivers also drive in the dark....or it’s just a cunning plan for motor industry to squeeze more money from our empty pockets :confused:

You have the standard H4 headlights on that van, search the forums for H4 to get an opinion on them! They are not great but OK if you don't drive to fast down country lanes in the dark.
You have a tailgate so it's either a bike rack hanging off the rear door or a towbar option. There are a lot of good reviews on towbar mounted rack on this forum. The VW door one is good also but you can't open the rear with the bikes on. Some towbar mounted ones do allow that.
Wish i was clever enough to do the conversion...but left it to the pros!I might be able to put a few pictures up when it's converted!On here and in the van!

We have an Atera Linea door mounted rack and the tailgate can be opened with 3 bikes on, though you need someone to hold it up as the gas struts obviously can't cope. The fact that the tailgate can be open with tow bar mounted rack is less useful, as you can't really get to the boot, as there's a load of bikes in the way surely? The Atera is better than the VW rack and cheaper.
I find the standard headlights OK

We have an Atera Linea door mounted rack and the tailgate can be opened with 3 bikes on, though you need someone to hold it up as the gas struts obviously can't cope. The fact that the tailgate can be open with tow bar mounted rack is less useful, as you can't really get to the boot, as there's a load of bikes in the way surely? The Atera is better than the VW rack and cheaper.
I find the standard headlights OK
Cheer's for the reply......The VW rack put me off because the bike's go higher than the van!

Cheer's for the reply......The VW rack put me off because the bike's go higher than the van!
Are you worried about drag, or hitting stuff? Being higher means it all clears the lights and number plate. You can also lock the bikes to the rack with built in locks, plus a cable/chain for a bit of extra toeragproofing.

Hitting stuff really,allready nervouse driving a van without something else to worry about!:)

Back