Newbie Buying Questions

Charlatan30

Hi,

Just signed up to the forum and hoping for some basic advice or signposting for buying your first van.

I have persuaded the wife into buying something bigger for a family of 4 for weekends away camping, cycling, surfing etc.

I don't think I'm at the stage of jumping into a fully converted van so am I right in thinking a Transporter Shuttle would be the best place to start?

Also confused by the addition of vat to costs so again any advice on that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

VAT first - most vans are sold/leased to registered businesses, which don't pay VAT. When sold on retail, someone has to pay the VAT. Listing the van, priced without VAT, is for such businesses. Privateer buyers need to make it sweet with HMRC (+20%).
For a family, I'd go for a Kombi if you can, or panel van converted to a kombi (windows and a second row of seats added, with massive boot. You could go for a panel van and add windows (not the potentially leaky VW slider opening type) and seating/seat/bed in the rear. It will also need a floor and probably lining out in carpet covered ply though, as panel vans are bare metal, with a bulkhead - which you'd want to remove, though it does save you from listening to kids whinging on ;) (put a window in the bulkhead to check they are not in danger.......
To convert to a kombi, you can generally buy a rubber floor, seating and seatbelts for £500-800. I may just happen to have all of that for sale just now..........., but near Keswick.
Go for it, they are awesome family wagons.

Thanks for the quick reply!

VAT response really helps thanks.

So the difference between a kombi and a shuttle is the kombi doesn't have the extra row of seats, meaning more 'boot' space?

Sounds like what I'm after.

When I was looking last year I notice a few vehicles on the VW used site were listed as ‘gross - non vat qualifying’ meaning the advertised price was the price you paid. I ‘think’ this is where the original purchaser was not a business and did not claim the VAT back from HMRC.

Also, there are sometimes a few, shall we say, unusual spec vans that are discounted. Mine was a 9 seat window van in startline spec, (basically a kombi with third row of seats / extra windows) which I’ve been told the public cannot order, only registered converters!

Good luck with the search!

PS - if there is just 4 of you try and get a single front seat as much more comfortable!

Just looking @ VW commercial and lots of shuttles are gross. Some nice ones around 22 / 23k

When I was looking last year I notice a few vehicles on the VW used site were listed as ‘gross - non vat qualifying’ meaning the advertised price was the price you paid. I ‘think’ this is where the original purchaser was not a business and did not claim the VAT back from HMRC.

VAT is a bit like a hot potato. A VAT registered person (ie., some tradesperson) buys a brand new van, he can claim the VAT back. He sells the van, the next person goes through the same process, and on and on, until someone who is not VAT registered (ie., you or me) buys the van, and they are landed with the VAT liability. The VAT buck stops with them. They then sell the van - VAT is no longer an issue, because it's been done.

Hopefully that explains that. Basically a van is a tool, so someone who uses a tool to do their job isn't liable for VAT, but someone who buys something to use for their own purposes is then a consumer and VAT applies. Hopefully that doesn't re-muddy the waters!

VAT is a bit like a hot potato. A VAT registered person (ie., some tradesperson) buys a brand new van, he can claim the VAT back. He sells the van, the next person goes through the same process, and on and on, until someone who is not VAT registered (ie., you or me) buys the van, and they are landed with the VAT liability. The VAT buck stops with them. They then sell the van - VAT is no longer an issue, because it's been done.

Hopefully that explains that. Basically a van is a tool, so someone who uses a tool to do their job isn't liable for VAT, but someone who buys something to use for their own purposes is then a consumer and VAT applies. Hopefully that doesn't re-muddy the waters!
Well explained!!!

Hi,

Just signed up to the forum and hoping for some basic advice or signposting for buying your first van.

I have persuaded the wife into buying something bigger for a family of 4 for weekends away camping, cycling, surfing etc.

I don't think I'm at the stage of jumping into a fully converted van so am I right in thinking a Transporter Shuttle would be the best place to start?

Also confused by the addition of vat to costs so again any advice on that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Get the base van right before thinking about conversion
From my experience
Front and rear parking sensors ,
Cruise And Air con
Are a must, Folding mirrors , multi function steering wheel are also nice to have :)

Welcome to the world of compromise when buying these vans. Unless you have loads of ££ there is always a compromise.
Make sure you try and get the big options when you buy one. I mean the expensive things to add at a later date.

Back