New Van [which dealer fitted underrated tyres to]

Ridiculous how often these (bell)End dealers do things like this when they must know better. As said,if there was an accident,them i am sure that your insurance etc would be void and you would get the full blame even if it was not you fault. 103 xl tyres are needed on a T32 and if these clowns can't accept that,they shouldn't be selling vans

Our 3 cars have tyres rated at 85, 91 and 94, so a 97 is “high load” but it’s not enough for our vans.

The tyre pressure sticker on our van (T30) shows tyre ratings, and none of them are less than 102.

Try showing the dealer your tyre sticker and asked him why he thinks 97 is acceptable.

Pete

This is not the 1st time I’ve read a van delivered from the dealer with the wrong rated tyres. There’s another thread on here where it was pointed out too.

Cheers for all the reply’s gents
I will let you know how I get on with the dealer

Our 3 cars have tyres rated at 85, 91 and 94, so a 97 is “high load” but it’s not enough for our vans.

The tyre pressure sticker on our van (T30) shows tyre ratings, and none of them are less than 102.

Try showing the dealer your tyre sticker and asked him why he thinks 97 is acceptable.

Pete
"extra load" or "high load" is just a bolstered version of the original. So a 91 could become a 94 by being reinforced, and would be "extra load". As Pete says, is basically means nothing as the load rating number is all that counts

Cheers
I’ve had a nightmare with the dealer, they wanted to put the original standard alloys back on ,
They are going to put on new 255/45/r20 105y
Will these be ok ? As I can’t trust the dealer
:)

Personally i think that's an unusual choice. 265/40/20, or 275/40/20, with a load rating of 103 min, would be what i'd be asking for

But more importantly, have you checked the load rating of the wheels themselves?

This is where the T32 struggles for tyre sizes.
If you take the Sportline 18” as the bench mark size. Then the 255 35’s were a “size” match with no speedo under/over reading issues or gearing. Going to a 255 45 then your speedo will under read significantly and gear will feel high.
I replaced my 255 45’s due to the above issues with 255 40’s but they only go up to 101 rating.

265 & 275 also affect the speedo. See size calculator / comparators Tyre Size Calculator
Mate of mine runs 275 45’s, which look massive and mess the speedo and gears but it’s a personal choice.

Your wheels are fine as they’re 970kg

Last edited:
Cheers guys
I’ve asked them to look at 265/40r20 instead
The alloys are amrock main dealer alloys so the loading for these should be ok

Looks like I’ll be going back to VW also, I’ve just bought 2 months ago a T32 sportline swb kombi, I use it for work as a heating engineer, it came with ABT Motorsport DR 19” alloys, they look great, and from what I can see they are load rated?

However this thread has just prompted me to go out in the rain and check what load rating tyres they have .....
245/45/19 102 y XL ...... so it looks like I will be getting back in contact with the VW dealership I bought it from too!!!

Looks like I’ll be going back to VW also, I’ve just bought 2 months ago a T32 sportline swb kombi, I use it for work as a heating engineer, it came with ABT Motorsport DR 19” alloys, they look great, and from what I can see they are load rated?

However this thread has just prompted me to go out in the rain and check what load rating tires they have .....
245/45/19 102 y XL ...... so it looks like I will be getting back in contact with the VW dealership I bought it from too!!!

hi DW ,
I've had a nightmare with mine and its still not resolved as my rims are 20s , they definitely have to be 103 load rated or above , but they should have a better choice of Tyre for you than mine ,
vw Preston were trying to get out of it until i told them i would be taking it further as they sold me a van with illegal tyres on it , the t32 has an axle load of 1720kg per axle , the load rating for each tyre has to be above 860kg per tyre ,
hope this helps ,

I’ve sent my VW sales man an email asking what load rating tyres a T32 should have! Not mentioned anything about what mine are, will see what he comes back with and I’ll go from there! They put its first MOT in it too.

Hi DW
You won’t be insured if you have a blow out and cause an accident,
In vw Preston as we speak getting them changed
Unbelievable

Well they initially replied saying the T32 in the showroom that had 17’s on was 109T

I then said mine has 19” ABT’s ( he must have forgotten) and this is his reply......

“I have spoken with Craig the master tech and he has looked into it and found that they are the highest rated tyre for a 19" wheel. Anything over 100 is fine for a T32.

A standard T32 (like in the showroom) has a 17" tyre so they come with a 109 t.

My apologies, I had forgotten you had those wheels on it.”

I thought a sportline as standard has 18’s?

Hmmmmmmmmm

That’s rubbish DW
The t32 has an axle limit of 1720 kg
The tyres have to be 860kg load rated each
Anything less than 103 will not take the load
I would be going back to them pal
If you have an accident and Vosa look at them you will be in trouble and you will not be insured ?

That was my next question - are the tyres the incorrect size? Because I looked on black circles at 245 45 19 and they don’t go higher than a 102 unless they tyre size is changed.

what a ball ache! I’ve not replied to him yet, I wanted some more facts to fire at them! Like you said, go to a dealer to get the best service and then find ourselves doing this! I paid a lot for this van, it’s a full fat sportline DSG kombi, last thing I thought was I’d be messing about with tyres! In fact one of my questions before I even looked at it was “are the tyres in good condition” he said “it have a one hundred and something point check they will be fine”!!

I know
The money I paid was eye watering
Take a picture of the axle weights on the sticker under the bonnet , and the load weight written on the tyre ,
I don’t believe you can get the load required in your present size, you should be able to get the 255/45/r19 with the 104 rating,
I told the dealership by email to sort it ASAP or I would take it to my solicitor,
Next thing I’m booked in for 4 new tyres
Hope you get it sorted pal

I had another reply from them Friday, they are adamant the tyres are fine, the chart they mention just has the tyre load rating against the weight circling 102 against 850kg per tyre ;

“Please see chart below which is from the Volkswagen system Elsa and this shows that the maximum load weight for a 102 is 850Kg per tyre x 4 = 3400KG. The vehicle in question is a T32 with a total weight of 3200KG therefore the tyres on the vehicle are correct for that vehicle . “

Hi DW
There are a few member on this thread with more knowledge of this item
I believe it’s the max axle losd weight that is the issue it’s 1720kg therefore a 103 tyre of above will be required.
They don’t know what you would load the rear up with

Back