New To Forum, 1st Van On Order Need Help Re Slim Kitchen And 1300mm Bed Needed

Looking for T6 SWB conversion using 1300mm bed where the end cabinet (fridge) doesn't protrudes 400mm from the furniture run into the cabin, I have seen 1 conversion I really like but it is 325 miles away from where I am in the North West, I have called few local converters and they all give the same story that anything that deviates from the standard, kitchen templates they use will be expensive, I have included some images of the preferred layout below which I really like and show the fridge does not protrude significantly but I am uncomfortable at having a choice of only 1 converter.

4-sm.jpg 1-sm.jpg

Have you considered a top-loading fridge instead of the regular type, it being slimmer, so it doesn’t protrude past the furniture line?

15.jpg

If so, have a look at the EvoMotion stuff. They specify kits dependant on the bed size, which makes life easier if you already have the bed sorted.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum.

Thanks, yes I looked at the EvoMotion kits and saw their offerings but unfortunately the wife wants a proper fridge and will concede to it protruding slightly as per my pictures but not much.

..the wife wants a proper fridge..

I was in the same position. I managed to win over the better half by going on and on about how the grey-colour fridge door would not match the rest of the interior, that it would lose most of its cool air every time it was opened, and that it would be a pain to open with the bed down (the duvet often overhangs the end of the bed quite a distance, then you have bits and bobs on the floor that’d be in the way..) and she eventually came round to a top-loader.

It saved me getting a new wife.

I’m not sure whether you can get slimmer front-loading refrigerators that’ll negate the 400 protrusion.

You can get drawer fridges - they normally max out at 30l - but will fit under your bed, if that’s an option?

As per above we had the same problem wanted a wider bed but fridge and cooker not sticking out so pinched a few ideas from various convertors and found one to do a bespoke job
Went for narrow units up by the shoulders and standard width by your feet thus keeping the fridge from sticking out the infill cushions on the right make the top 2 sections of the rib bed 1300 and the bottom section stanard width i think the picture will explain better any questions just ask20180930_111843.jpg 20180930_111843.jpg

I know what you mean but the pictures I stole above come with a Waeco CR-50 12V Compressor fridge/freezer included which excluding the door is 447 mm deep which means having a unit 630mm deep with 190mm lost space.

I've found with the 1300 bed they stick the fridge out further to accommodate the hob and sink above
I didn't want that so went for the infill to make up the gap it created
The bed when it is down only goes afar as the fridge so the door still opens fulley
20180930_111130.jpg

See if you can find a copy of Campervan magazine, Issue 9, where they review the Hillside Birchover Action.
The Action is unusual in that it has a narrow kitchen and a wide rib bed, so might give you some ideas.

152761.jpg

I've found with the 1300 bed they stick the fridge out further to accommodate the hob and sink above
I didn't want that so went for the infill to make up the gap it created
The bed when it is down only goes afar as the fridge so the door still opens fulley
View attachment 29433

Apologies but what do you mean when you say "I didn't want that so went for the infill to make up the gap it created"

Apologies but what do you mean when you say "I didn't want that so went for the infill to make up the gap it created"

His conversion has a ledge (infill) to make up the gap between the bed and narrow upper side cabinets. This means he gets the benefit of a wide bed for ~90% of the bed's length (check the photo) BUT can still fit a normal fridge in at the cab end.

This means that in effect the bed's size at the "feet" end is still small (but probably that isnt too important - right?) and at the "head" end is larger (most of us need more roof at the top of the bed than the bottom).

I'm planning on doing something similar actually with a Reimo 1180cm bed, didn't know anyone had actually tried it yet!

Last edited:
Sorry I probably didn't explain very well if you look at what most conversion companies do it's either a 1120 or 1300 bed with units to suit
Mine is a mixture of both
1120 bed
Front units to suit 1120 bed ie fridge and first unit with sink and cooker built in
From there back it's units to suit a 1300 bed but the gap of 180mm is the infill cushions
The unit below the bed are the same width as the front ones
Its only above the bed they get narrower
Have a look at the 2 layouts below with the wider bed they make the fridge stick out further into the middle of the van
Day Time Layout

haughmond_day_side_layout_3.jpg
lythwood_day_top_layout.jpg
Day Time Layout

haughmond_day_side_layout_3.jpg
haughmond_day_top_layout_edited-1.jpg

Night Time Layout

Sorry I probably didn't explain very well if you look at what most conversion companies do it's either a 1120 or 1300 bed with units to suit
Mine is a mixture of both
1120 bed
Front units to suit 1120 bed ie fridge and first unit with sink and cooker built in
From there back it's units to suit a 1300 bed but the gap of 180mm is the infill cushions
The unit below the bed are the same width as the front ones
Its only above the bed they get narrower
Have a look at the 2 layouts below with the wider bed they make the fridge stick out further into the middle of the van
Day Time Layout

View attachment 29443
View attachment 29444
Day Time Layout

View attachment 29445
View attachment 29446

Night Time Layout

Now I understand what you mean, so its a hybrid kitchen which takes me back to my first point which is anything slightly out of the usual results in a sharp intake of breath followed immediately with the words "it will cost" did you do this yourself or get someone else to custom make the units ?

Now I understand what you mean, so its a hybrid kitchen which takes me back to my first point which is anything slightly out of the usual results in a sharp intake of breath followed immediately with the words "it will cost" did you do this yourself or get someone else to custom make the units ?
I had the whole thing done by a conversion company to be honest they didn't charge much more than price of the full width unit conversion if i remember rightly the extras were for the infill cushions
most companies will only stick to their set layouts and won't deviate from that
plus with the 1300 bed layout it's not worth having a driver swivel seat i don't even know if it will swivel at all but the way i've done it the drivers will swivel but not all the way which i think is normal
It's as per those layouts above

I am not sure which converters you've already looked at, but i am in a similar situation... looking for a conversion that uses a ~1300 width triple seat bed and a straight run of furniture. we also prefer a fridge with a door rather than a top loader.
(also in my wish list is a sliding bed and ability to have 7seats... so my search is perhaps even narrower!)
I am yet to decide but looking at things like this:
VW T6 Reimo Trio High Style | Concept Multi-Car | VW and Reimo Campervan Conversions and Dealers
Dirty Weekender - Adventure Vans

For fridge, have a look at this one where you can move the compressor:
Dometic CoolMatic CRP 40 | Dometic

Looking for T6 SWB conversion using 1300mm bed where the end cabinet (fridge) doesn't protrudes 400mm from the furniture run into the cabin, I have seen 1 conversion I really like but it is 325 miles away from where I am in the North West, I have called few local converters and they all give the same story that anything that deviates from the standard, kitchen templates they use will be expensive, I have included some images of the preferred layout below which I really like and show the fridge does not protrude significantly but I am uncomfortable at having a choice of only 1 converter.

View attachment 29429 View attachment 29430
Hi I came across your post and I am looking for what you were after. I live in the north and struggling to find someone who can fit a slimline kitchen with x3 seats in the back. Did you have any look sourcing what you were after?if so can you share who you found! Thanks

Back