New T6 Owner Needs Help

last-human

After years of wanting one I finally took the plunge and got myself a T6 camper conversion in August. I did my research on conversion companies and eventually went with one that converts vans for one of those competition sites we see all over Facebook etc.

I ended up with 2018 T28 red T6 Highline TDI, the bi-turbo version with 204BHP. The conversion is awesome, the van looks the part, and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Having said that I do have a few issues that I need the forums help with.

Firstly, we have the oil usage. Now I know Bi-Turbos use oil and mine needs a top up every 700/800 miles or so. The dealer I got it from has tested the van and assures me this is normal oil usage for this engine, and it has also been checked over by VW who confirmed its no leaking or burning any. So I guess my question here is if I keep the oil topped up when it needs it, will this keep the van running normally and keep the engine it tip top shape for as long as I have it?

Secondly its got an intermittent starting issue. It does start every time, but occasionally especially after short trips it can take 10-15 seconds to fire up. To give you an example I go to my local Kayak club 3 times a week that is about a mile away. The van will sit in the car park for 4-5 hours and when I go to start it, instead of starting on the first turn of the key, it can turn over for about 10 seconds or so before coming to life. The battery and starter motor seem fine as it turns over and I have no error on the dash or on my code reader. Has anyone got any idea what this could be?

Lastly the van has been lowered and I get a bit of rubbing on the inner wheel arch at full lock. What’s the best way to solve this? It has 20” alloys would lifting the suspension solve this?

That’s it for now folks any advice or support you can give me would be greatly apricated

After years of wanting one I finally took the plunge and got myself a T6 camper conversion in August. I did my research on conversion companies and eventually went with one that converts vans for one of those competition sites we see all over Facebook etc.

I ended up with 2018 T28 red T6 Highline TDI, the bi-turbo version with 204BHP. The conversion is awesome, the van looks the part, and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Having said that I do have a few issues that I need the forums help with.

Firstly, we have the oil usage. Now I know Bi-Turbos use oil and mine needs a top up every 700/800 miles or so. The dealer I got it from has tested the van and assures me this is normal oil usage for this engine, and it has also been checked over by VW who confirmed its no leaking or burning any. So I guess my question here is if I keep the oil topped up when it needs it, will this keep the van running normally and keep the engine it tip top shape for as long as I have it?

Secondly its got an intermittent starting issue. It does start every time, but occasionally especially after short trips it can take 10-15 seconds to fire up. To give you an example I go to my local Kayak club 3 times a week that is about a mile away. The van will sit in the car park for 4-5 hours and when I go to start it, instead of starting on the first turn of the key, it can turn over for about 10 seconds or so before coming to life. The battery and starter motor seem fine as it turns over and I have no error on the dash or on my code reader. Has anyone got any idea what this could be?

Lastly the van has been lowered and I get a bit of rubbing on the inner wheel arch at full lock. What’s the best way to solve this? It has 20” alloys would lifting the suspension solve this?

That’s it for now folks any advice or support you can give me would be greatly apricated
Lifting may help, depends on offsets, type of wheels tyre size etc. If you have coilovers try to lift slightly. Years ago rubbing was common, as there were onky so many wheels available in 20". Check what its rubbingm sometimes its just hitting one of the screws. Cheers

There are plenty of threads on here about oil usage on that engine. Have a search to see what has been said.
VW are wrong - it must be leaking or burning oil for it to disappear, so don’t assume they are right.

Pete

Back