Skyline Aurora Roof

The roof or the spoiler?
The roof... depends where you go to get it fitted.
Skyline Weston Super Mare is cheaper than Skyline North but I have saved money in travel costs to and from their workshop. Other conversion companies fit skyline roofs but their prices vary as well.
The spoiler.. no idea, it was already on the van when I bought it.

I’ve got the spoiler already on the van hence being worried about the roof looking odd. I’ve had a quote @ 3.2k to fit the aurora but not sure to go lower profile

It's a few hundred pounds difference between the original Skyline and the Aurora.
You get a lower profile, slimmer roof with the Aurora, and you get mechanical locking rather than strap locking with the Aurora.
You do lose the ability to store the mattress in the roof though as the lower profile means less room up there (unless you forego the memory foam mattress and go for an air mattress like the Quechua 120cm one from Decathlon)
The Z folding bed base makes the space inside the van a lot more usable with plenty of head room all along the van, not sure if this will be available if you choose the slatted bed base, nor how thick the mattress needs to be to avoid feeling the slats through it, The killer for me was how big the mattress was when rolled up and finding somewhere to store it whilst not using it, so I'm going with the air bed instead, and it has been very comfortable so far over the memory foam mattress from Skyline which I found gave no support at all.

Thread resurrection...

I have recently picked up my first van (T5.1 Kombi) and have settled on a Skyline roof but I'm struggling to decide between their standard roof and the Aurora.

I visited their workshop in Weston last week and looked at both roofs (although unfortunately didn't get the chance to see the inside of the Aurora or witness it being raised) and I didn't think there was a huge difference aesthetically. I do like the slightly slimmer profile and the new locking system on the Aurora but I'm slightly put off by not being able to store the mattress up top when the roof is down. There is also the price difference to consider.

Can those who have them fitted and have lived with them give me any more detail to help with my decision? Other than those mentioned above (and now resolved I understand), have there been any teething problems with the new Aurora design?

Cheers.

Thread resurrection...

I have recently picked up my first van (T5.1 Kombi) and have settled on a Skyline roof but I'm struggling to decide between their standard roof and the Aurora.

I visited their workshop in Weston last week and looked at both roofs (although unfortunately didn't get the chance to see the inside of the Aurora or witness it being raised) and I didn't think there was a huge difference aesthetically. I do like the slightly slimmer profile and the new locking system on the Aurora but I'm slightly put off by not being able to store the mattress up top when the roof is down. There is also the price difference to consider.

Can those who have them fitted and have lived with them give me any more detail to help with my decision? Other than those mentioned above (and now resolved I understand), have there been any teething problems with the new Aurora design?

Cheers.
I have the aurora roof and it’s excellent, easy to use and looks great

I went with the vango Cali mattress but like you say it doesn’t go up there but folds down really small so happy all round

044E8EFF-C8D8-40A6-8282-C8813E9957E5.jpeg

92E1C2BD-2715-47D4-A2AC-C04986949CCA.jpeg

76ABE5CD-7277-4274-ACE0-91E4F4071229.jpeg

A10C828F-2572-4CC1-A646-A45FA1E016DC.jpeg

BD9A58C9-3948-44A6-8F1A-70D24F45A1EA.jpeg

Does any body have a problem with there spoiler resting on the Aurora roof when they are both open??????

I have an ABT spoiler, I need to ensure the tailgate is closed before opening or closing the roof but it just clears when open

I’m so disappointed with my skyline Aurora roof, The first roof was fitted so poorly by the conversion company, the finish to the silicone around the van and the canvas could of been done better by 3 year old. The same roof had a faulty zip fitted to the scenic part of the canvas, which a blind man would not of mist on a dark night. The guys from skyline came up to Preston to replace the roof and luckily the finish was a lot better than the first fitted roof. I decided I would not let the converting company do the rest of the work.
I then sent my van down to Gloucester to be converted. when I got there we opened the roof and I could see daylight where the rear elastic is fitted to the main roof help pull in the canvas when closing. The canvas had ripped on the stitching. After a lot of phone calls and pictures Skyline roofs told me that my fitter had not fitted the skyline byfold bed. ( which I’d paid for ) So when I was lifting the bed, it was pushing on the elastic at the rear of the roof.
so skyline said it was not there problem.
I spoke to the so called reputable company who fitted it and said he does not fit the skyline roof byfold bed as there rubbish. After a lot phone calls he said that skyline will repair the roof me as I was in Gloucester.
I insisted on a new canvas and a new bed which skyline fitted.
On the way back to Gloucester the driver from skyline roofs crashed my van (he says he hit some debris which fell of the back of the van in front of him)
which destroyed one wheel smashed the splitter and damaged the bumper. It took them over 2 weeks to get it sorted. So I’ve had 3 roofs fitted to my van now.
we went away in the van a few weeks ago and it’s was peeing it down and as we sat in the van we could. See water running down the sun visors and dripping on the dash. I pulled down the visors and yes you got it the cam locks are leaking aaaaaaarrrrrrrrhhhhhh.
I spoke to skyline asking if there are any issues with the cam locks and they said, you guest it, NO.
They told to get in touch with my fitter again as they must not of been fitted correctly. When I took the van back they told me the cam locks are rubbish as you can not possibly make them water tight as they are not a sealed unit.(they are made up of multiple moving parts) They had the van for a full week to do leak test and so on and on and on.
on collecting the van I was assured that the cam had been taken out and sealed and that they had even put clear silicone on the 3 bolts that fix the to the roof. And pored water over both cam locks.
we went to Dorset last week. The weather was amazing and no rain .
on returning home the van needed a major clean( due to being parked under trees for a week).
I washed the van with the roof up and yes the water is still coming in on the cam lock system. I’m fuming I didn’t by a cheap roof because of the horror stories you hear. And I’ve paid £4300 for a leaky f———ing umbrella. I would advise anybody to think long and hard about fitting one of these roofs as they are a pile of rubbish. The customer service off skyline is shocking. The conversation company are just cowboys as far as I’m concerned. Rant over
0A5E44B0-4DDA-4E93-8F35-F4DECF8640FF.jpeg80B875AA-4BDA-4728-873E-9B53B541A496.jpeg7C344631-C894-4B31-B59E-6FC6C28EB2CF.jpeg96482CA9-5CE3-4230-BDDC-7789041BC844.jpeg41108C7E-490E-4E2F-9CD9-1B25B89F980F.jpegYes 83E8FD2E-926B-4042-A89C-2D8001778303.jpeg77F492C2-1A9A-412D-8A30-337369C8A170.jpeg4CE4784D-F5D1-4BE3-B4B7-9C95283A5C95.jpeg46324F0C-9062-45D2-944E-D99A721040F8.jpegEAF7FED7-FACE-47AF-9914-AFDFAEBC4EE6.jpeg

684C04DF-912F-484E-AE7F-B727B685D52B.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
I’m so disappointed with my skyline Aurora roof, The first roof was fitted so poorly by the conversion company, the finish to the silicone around the van and the canvas could of been done better by 3 year old. The same roof had a faulty zip fitted to the scenic part of the canvas, which a blind man would not of mist on a dark night. The guys from skyline came up to Preston to replace the roof and luckily the finish was a lot better than the first fitted roof. I decided I would not let the converting company do the rest of the work.
I then sent my van down to Gloucester to be converted. when I got there we opened the roof and I could see daylight where the rear elastic is fitted to the main roof help pull in the canvas when closing. The canvas had ripped on the stitching. After a lot of phone calls and pictures Skyline roofs told me that my fitter had not fitted the skyline byfold bed. ( which I’d paid for ) So when I was lifting the bed, it was pushing on the elastic at the rear of the roof.
so skyline said it was not there problem.
I spoke to the so called reputable company who fitted it and said he does not fit the skyline roof byfold bed as there rubbish. After a lot phone calls he said that skyline will repair the roof me as I was in Gloucester.
I insisted on a new canvas and a new bed which skyline fitted.
On the way back to Gloucester the driver from skyline roofs crashed my van (he says he hit some debris which fell of the back of the van in front of him)
which destroyed one wheel smashed the splitter and damaged the bumper. It took them over 2 weeks to get it sorted. So I’ve had 3 roofs fitted to my van now.
we went away in the van a few weeks ago and it’s was peeing it down and as we sat in the van we could. See water running down the sun visors and dripping on the dash. I pulled down the visors and yes you got it the cam locks are leaking aaaaaaarrrrrrrrhhhhhh.
I spoke to skyline asking if there are any issues with the cam locks and they said, you guest it, NO.
They told to get in touch with my fitter again as they must not of been fitted correctly. When I took the van back they told me the cam locks are rubbish as you can not possibly make them water tight as they are not a sealed unit.(they are made up of multiple moving parts) They had the van for a full week to do leak test and so on and on and on.
on collecting the van I was assured that the cam had been taken out and sealed and that they had even put clear silicone on the 3 bolts that fix the to the roof. And pored water over both cam locks.
we went to Dorset last week. The weather was amazing and no rain .
on returning home the van needed a major clean( due to being parked under trees for a week).
I washed the van with the roof up and yes the water is still coming in on the cam lock system. I’m fuming I didn’t by a cheap roof because of the horror stories you hear. And I’ve paid £4300 for a leaky f———ing umbrella. I would advise anybody to think long and hard about fitting one of these roofs as they are a pile of rubbish. The customer service off skyline is shocking. The conversation company are just cowboys as far as I’m concerned. Rant over
View attachment 119952View attachment 119953View attachment 119954View attachment 119956View attachment 119957Yes View attachment 119958View attachment 119959View attachment 119960View attachment 119961View attachment 119962

View attachment 119955
Wow what an absolute nightmare, you’ve put me off getting a pop top fitted now. I also think you should name and shame the fitters…. So no one else makes the same mistake.

Oh mate I feel for you. Sounds like more of an installation problem than roof issue, although skylines customer service has let you down. Like JonriceT6, I would be naming the installers for a shoddy installation rather than blaming roof manufacturer.. Hope you get it sorted.

As above name And shame the installation firm, I had my Aurora fitted in Weston by skyline and it’s been epic. The lads did a bang on job and I’ve used it a fair bit with zero issues whatsoever

I've nothing to compare it with so can't really say, but the locks work OK, sort of a quarter turn to latch onto the bar attached to the roof, then a further quarter turn that pulls the roof down tight, no problems there.
The rear of the roof does seem to sit a bit away from the body though, I don't know if this is a consequence of the faulty roof or not though so will have to wait until the 'fixed' one is installed to see if it is any tighter fit.
Skyline North have said they put some suggestions to Skyline Weston to alter the locking mechanism so will see if they implement this on the roof they fit to mine in 2 weeks time.
I caught my elbow on the catch on the roof opening side of the sliding cover, drew blood which I then managed to smear all over the inside of the canvas before I noticed it. It is just a bent bit of stainless steel that has very sharp edges and I don't see the point of the catch myself so it may be getting removed so I don't repeat the experience with my canvas in the future.
Hey. I know I’m redirecting an old post. Just got my Skyline Aurora roof and they appear to still be using these horrible sharp metal catches.

Did you find a different solution?

I found this latch on eBay… and it sorta works. Does the job, safely, but isn’t super easy to latch.

EA50695B-B6EC-44B6-AF19-E1ACA7B32BAA.jpeg

041393A7-D354-4821-A66D-985B8655D978.jpeg

Back