new plates on today :)

I had this plate spaced the same on my vito before this for 6 years and on my evo 9gt for a while. never been pulled :) . it also reads ok on ANPR.

i think police have got better things to do today . longs it reads ok on ANPR personally don't see any issues lol

I've got 2 family members in the force and one of those is traffic.
They ARE getting much tighter on plates - especially now that they rely on ANPR to catch all the uninsured and untaxed drivers - but if it reads OK on ANPR then you may get away with it as long as you don't get stopped by someone on a bad day...

And I was worried about moving one of the letters on mine half a space, think ill be ok looking at yours

My brother in Law who is a traffic officer tells a story of how he stopped a young lady some years back with a plate on her car of something like "S54 RAH". One thing I was unaware of is that a private plate cannot make a vehicle look newer than it really is, and she was driving a knackered old Corsa.

He checked the plate details and it came back blank. So he stopped her and spoke to her and asked where she bought the plate, "Halfords" she replies. "No" he says, "Where did you buy the right to have this plate?".

You guessed it, she just looked at him blankly and said that she went to Halfords and paid her £10 for it.

Couldn't happen now with the new rules about producing a V5, but makes you wonder.....

I've got 2 family members in the force and one of those is traffic.
They ARE getting much tighter on plates - especially now that they rely on ANPR to catch all the uninsured and untaxed drivers - but if it reads OK on ANPR then you may get away with it as long as you don't get stopped by someone on a bad day...
If it did not read ok on ANPR I could understand what came with it. But read fine on them . Even the car park ones never seem to struggle reading it.

I always used to have German plates (with my UK reg) on my VWs but it got a bit much with the police often giving me a friendly ticking off (or very rarely a ticket if he/she was in a bad mood), but I can't even find anywhere that does the German plates now, even the plate pressing guy at Bug Jam this year only did the standard UK plates, and would only do exactly what it said on the V5 and nothing else as he was putting his postcode on the plates and didn't want to get prosecuted. I can understand that!

Then again, I see plenty of 4x4's and suchlike round my area with carefully crafted spacing and artistic use of yellow/black plastic screw tops to make letters etc., but they never seem to get pulled, and annoyingly I always see the same ones driving around scott free.

Personally, I won't risk it anymore (maybe I'm just getting old and sensible) as I am pretty sure failure to display a valid VIN is £100 fine and/or 3 points (from watching Police Interceptors on Channel 5!). I've kept my licence clean for 30 years - don't want to spoil it just for fancy plates!

New personalised plates on mine today as well. It’s the little touches that make the difference

3F2AE1F5-02E1-4F54-AA2C-ABB76A4AC2C6.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
New personalised plates on mine today as well. It’s the little touches that make the difference

View attachment 132489
Those are nice......Mrs just had her Fiesta serviced today and had an advisory about having metal plates, apparently now illegal. All spacing, font and BS correct !!

I wouldn't risk messing with spacing letters and numbers....it only takes one grumpy dog handler who want to be on Roads Policing to report you DVLA and you lose the right to use that plate and kiss your money goodbye...
....just saying.

Back