New Member, With Many Questions....

Apretext

Edition Kombi 150PS
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi! I am (or rather my business is) planning on buying a T6 in November, and I have a few questions now that I've driven a few, and done some research. I drove a 150 T32 Highline Kombi and a 204 T32 Highline Kombi. The 150 is a nice drive, but I loved the extra power of the 204 (my other car is a highly tuned Lotus Elise....)

So, the questions.

Does the "Lights and vision" package on the Highline make a difference on the lighting, or is it worth seeking out a van with LED's?

Both the vans I drove were Manuals, but I know most 204's are DSG's, and I haven't had a chance to drive one yet, so, are there steering wheel controls for shifting or alternatively, is there a way to reverse the manual selection on the gear stick? (Why do lots of manufacturers insist on having gear up being push away, it's counter intuitive!).

Are there any known issues with the latest BiTDi engine? I know the early T5.1's had some issues

Thanks!

Hi @Apretext welcome to the forum. I think the lights and vision package gives you H7 lights which are a massive improvement on the standard H4 lights. If it's in budget then you will definitely not regret LED's.

DSG doesn't come with paddle shift as standard but you can retro fit a steering wheel with the paddles as I and others have done. Can't say as I've really used mine though once I'd got over the novelty factor. The DSG box is superb. You can not reverse the way that the gear stick works on manual selection. No real known issues with the BiTDi engines but they're still new.

How much was the steering wheel swap if you don't mind me asking?

I know I will probably drive it in Auto mode if I get a DSG, but the ability to select my own gears would be nice (I've never been a fan of traditional Auto's, but that's mostly down to their clunky nature and on/off power delivery)

You can swap it yourself for between £200 - £400 there are loads of Mk7 DSG steering wheels on ebay. No coding is required and you can re use the steering wheel volume, cruise and MFD selectors etc from your existing wheel.

I love paddle shift and I'm always using it in the wife car but I have a daughter who turns 18 this weekend and has decided to take a year out to work in Australia. Work??? She can't even keep her bedroom tidy.:mad:
Daddy thinks he is going to be very poor over the coming year, so no paddle shift for the van.:(

No mate, your air bag won't fit that one. You need one that has a couple of hooks either side like this.

VW VolksWagen Golf MK7 Auto DSG Flat Bottom Multifunction Steering Wheel Leather | eBay

Not sure if you have ACC or just cruise but you'll notice that the right hand buttons are different. You can remove the buttons off your new wheel and fit the original ones from your van. The DSG paddles plug into the side of the button modules.

I don't have anything at the moment, but it's good to know there are cheap options for a swap!

Up here a steering wheel with the DSG-paddles for T6 is now a selectable factory option, option code ZEA. 115€. Can't see why it wouldn't be available also in the UK.

Last edited:
Up here a steering wheel with the DSG-paddles for T6 is now a selectable factory option, option code ZEA. 115€. Can't see why it wouldn't be available also in the UK.

Sadly, budget doesn't quite stretch to brand new, so even if it was an option, I'd have to hope it was specced by the first owner / garage demonstrator specifier.

It’s worth noting some of the early 180 BiTurbo’s did ship with the C revision oil cooler (the one that shits itself into the engine) so worth checking if you are looking at an early euro5 grade T6, the 150 and 204 are the newer engine euro 6 vehicles and this does not affect them

Last edited:
It’s worth noting some of the early 180 BiTurbo’s did ship with the C revision oil cooler (the one that shits itself into the engine) so worth checking if you are looking at an early euro5 grade T6, the 150 and 204 are the newer engine euro 6 vehicles and this does not affect them

Good to know. Another reason to just look at the (more powerful) Euro 6 one's then!

Last edited by a moderator:
One more question whilst I remember, can non app connect head units be upgraded to app connect by a dealer? I would assume it's just software on the head unit

One more question whilst I remember, can non app connect head units be upgraded to app connect by a dealer? I would assume it's just software on the head unit
If you want to use an Apple phone you’d need to upgrade the USB ports too.

If you want to use an Apple phone you’d need to upgrade the USB ports too.

Sadly, yes, I always have apple phones.

Presumably I can still play music via bluetooth on a non App connect stereo? (maybe using the USB ports just to stop the damned thing going flat...)

I wrote a post about my configuration... the two things I feel are missing are LED and DSG. Choose wisely...

Request Info From Owners

Yes, I am beginning to think that LED's are a must, although I am used to vehicles with crap headlights, it would be nice to finally have one with lights that work.....

Why the regret not getting a DSG if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, I am beginning to think that LED's are a must, although I am used to vehicles with crap headlights, it would be nice to finally have one with lights that work.....

Why the regret not getting a DSG if you don't mind me asking?

...i would have preferred an auto for city driving and i only hear great things about them.

Hi James.
I've only just jonied this forum and you'll find others on here from Seloc (Lotus Forum).

Compare to the elise, the standard headlights are good, but thats not saying much. I would opt for the LED lights if I could. Will you be using it as an everyday vehicle? I am so I went for a Highline spec which has more car features, not just a work horse. It still needs sound deadening to make it more car like.

Good luck with your search.

Back