New H&R/Koni adjustables from CRS

catfood12

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I bought my 2018 PV used at a year old privately. The first owner put a Maxx adjustable suspension kit on. Looking at their website, it's a cheap kit, but adjustable front and rear. It was OK, but I felt the front springs were too soft. The rears were great though. I had to adjust the front shocks to close to hardest settings to get the thing to handle, and even then was a bit crashy on the larger potholes. Having the shocks so hard also made it a bit skittish/twitchy at times

I see a lot of chat on suspension here, and wisdom from Steve @CRS Performance. This was all being discussed on another thread, and he suggested the Maxx springs may have gone soft. They then started knocking so time to replace. I read all Steve's posts with interest, and of course he would be the person to call.

I lusted after the KW V3s, but didn't think I needed to spend that much. I spoke to Steve to get his opinion. Amazing knowledge, comment and experience. A lot of straight talking, and quite a long chat in the end. He suggested the adjustable H&R kit based on Konis for my needs.

That arrived a few days later, and I stuck them on.
20200905_092804_resized.jpg20200905_092806_resized.jpg

No bacon in the box. Had to send the wife out for some. Essential part of the fitting kit Steve had told me. Surprised it wasn't included.

20200905_124649_resized.jpg

Rears were a 15 minute job...

20200906_161540_resized.jpg

Ended up around 20mm lift over what I had before.

20200906_165956_resized.jpg

As I've posted in other threads, it's a van, with long suspension travel. It's never going to handle like a Golf or an M3. (The two best chassis out at the moment I think). After a bit of tinkering with the shock adjustment and height, I'm now delighted with the ride and handling. The shocks are set up softer than previous. The springs are much harder. I've now even moved my ARB links to the softer setting. The handling is an improvement on what I had before, but the ride is a huge improvement.

Not the cheapest kit about. I love adjustment, and went through about five different settings of heights and shocks before I got what I was happiest with. I have a couple of deluxe Moroso 2 1/2" 'C' spanners for adjusting suspension. Could I find them during installation ?! Could I feck. Had to use the pressed steel 'C' spanners that come with the kit. They dig in to your hands after a while, especially with all of the up and down I did...... I spent more time looking for, and not finding, my 'C' spanners than fitting the fronts....

I couldn't recommend Steve's advice, or the K&R kit more highly. I'm delighted with the improvement, and should have done it months ago......

Last edited:
Why did you choose that kit over the KW ST X kit? Curious.

Van looks nice and a good stance. What’s your wheel and tyre specs?
Thanks

Thanks
Apart from adjustable damping ( a luxury that is either valued or not understood ) the drop capabilities are different

H&R 50 To 80 KW 35 to 65 ( we do get a little more depending on the vans weight )

Apart from adjustable damping ( a luxury that is either valued or not understood ) the drop capabilities are different

H&R 50 To 80 KW 35 to 65 ( we do get a little more depending on the vans weight )

Hi Steve we spoke on messenger in March, about this kit for a T32 T6.1 I’m now getting the van next week, after ordering it in February. Can you drop me a pm regarding cost and availability..
cheers
jason

Nice job well done , I trust you will be delighted with the results long term as well /

Steve, I remain delighted at the moment. It's a great product, and I'm sure will serve me well long term. I'm impressed with the K&R kit quality. I've spent loads over the years with the likes of KW & Koni, and this has the same quality feel. Overall, it's a bargain too, compared to what could easily be spent on premo kit for the German/Italian exotica stuff..

Thanks

Exactly what Steve said below. There's no bromance or anything going on, but Steve is an expert in his field. I took his advice based on the conversation we had, and what I wanted. Possibly a leap of faith to spend these sums based on a conversation alone, without any underlying sales agenda, but what I have ended up with has exceeded my expectations. I have been known to dabble with stuff like this, and being able to adjust heights and dampening, and feel what's not as good, and how it feels better when you dial it in has brought me great pleasure.

My van had these slightly ridiculous 20 inch Rotiforms on it when I bought it. They were all fcuked, tyres and wheels, at the time. I had the wheels refurbed in Fiat F750 bronze - the colour on the Abarth 695s. Rears are 10", fronts 8.5". I put some cheapy Accelera 275/35/20 on all round. Quite good tyres, very hard compound. Wore out the fronts, so put new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 265/40/20 on the front. They're a nice tyre. Medium compound, with great grip. You can feel them warm up, but they're great in the wet.

I'm in a happy place now. :cool:

Never mind all that..what are the yellow and grey beasts in the background?. and dont say a meguiars bucket.

Well, the Tumeric Yellow thing on the left is my 7.5 Golf R. Performance pack, with titanium Akrapovic exhaust. They were all OEM options at the time. I sold a Sierra Cosworth and then bought this. The exhaust is one of the most beautiful fabrications I have ever seen. A 310BHP Golf 4WD on Pilot Cups Sports (courtesy of Perf Pack) is one of the best chassis' I have ever driven. I did possibly get trigger happy ticking the boxes when I bought it. Just spent 20+ hours over the last two weeks with a DA polishing it, in preparation for ceramic coating. Might put a thread up on the cars section.

The black thing on the right is a Hyundai 5Kw generator. Awesome, I've had several of these when provisioning client sites. Electric start, 3K RPM single cylinder diesel. Good for 20K hours+. Unforntunately attractive to the light fingered eastern European car wash types, but all secured courtesy of Trackimo (see security thread on here).

Grey thing in the middle is spare van. Referenced in one of the sound proofing threads. V12 hatchback, you can do the school run in it and then fold the back seats down and cart unistrut around. :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks thought they are 80mm max drop though?

Dunno.. Ask Steve.... I think there's a lot more than 80mm to be had. I started off much lower, and just went up until I was happy, but there wasn't much more than an inch to go up from my photo above. I'll get a photo of the spring seat position on the threads and post up.

Last edited:
Hi Steve we spoke on messenger in March, about this kit for a T32 T6.1 I’m now getting the van next week, after ordering it in February. Can you drop me a pm regarding cost and availability..
cheers
jason

Fine Jason, I'll have my people speak to your people.

@CRS Performance , Steve - Call Jason when you have a mo please. :D:thumbsup:

Well, the Tumeric Yellow thing on the left is my 7.5 Golf R. Performance pack, with titanium Akrapovic exhaust. They were all OEM options at the time. I sold a Sierra Cosworth and then bought this. The exhaust is one of the most beautiful fabrications I have ever seen. A 310BHP Golf 4WD on Pilot Cups Sports (courtesy of Perf Pack) is one of the best chassis' I have ever driven. I did possibly get trigger happy ticking the boxes when I bought it. Just spent 20+ hours over the last two weeks with a DA polishing it, in preparation for ceramic coating. Might put a thread up on the cars section.

The black thing on the right is a Hyundai 5Kw generator. Awesome, I've had several of these when provisioning client sites. Electric start, 3K RPM single cylinder diesel. Good for 20K hours+. Unforntunately attractive to the light fingered eastern European car wash types, but all secured courtesy of Trackimo (see security thread on here).

Grey thing in the middle is spare van. Referenced in one of the sound proofing threads. V12 hatchback, you can do the school run in it and then fold the back seats down and cart unistrut around. :cool:
Whats the grey one with the quad exhausts?.

We have to put up with chavs racing up/down Shore Road, chavs coming back off the beach at 2 in the morning, nowhere to park outside on hot days.

2020 has been the worst year ever, CV19 and ‘arry Redknapp have properly buggered the place up.

Oh, and the bloke over the road is a tosser, he’s a director of Britannia Parking, you should go and throw bricks at his windows. ;)

Back