New conversion seriously lacking..

Gazz

Hi guys, I'm a new member and hoping to get some advice... I recently took possession of a T6 camper van conversion but within a day of having it I discovered that the company that carried out the conversion has failed to provide and thermal or sound insulation on the van. While driving road noise was very intrusive so I decided to remove two panels only to discover bare metal. There has been no attempt to provide any sound deadening or insulation. I have spoken to the sales person and he has said they would rectify the problem but then went on about using rock wool which is I know is far from ideal in a van coversion. I have lost complete confidence in the company and just want to return the van for a full refund :-(
Can anyone advise me what my rights are, please?

Shocking!. I have recently heard of another company handing over a van, that has had hook-up electrics installed. Upon removing the front seats to inspect the work, he discovered bare wires and wired that were exposed to metal work...
This with a few other hidden gems.

They seem to be "ah it wont be seen!.." attitude.
For yours:
I would be requesting full top grade materials.. slientcoat/dynomat etc.

Hi Fish, Thanks for getting in touch. Do you know if it's within my rights to fully reject the van and get my money back?

Hi Fish, Thanks for getting in touch. Do you know if it's within my rights to fully reject the van and get my money back?

Unfirtunatly mate, that one would have to be directed to someone with more knowledge of your rights.
Maybe ask @slidepods or @BognorMotors thier opinion from that side of thing.
It may well be you have to give them time to respond or rectify the issues?.

Did you buy the van from the people who converted it? Or buy a van from someone who had this firm convert it? If the former, and provided you had good reason to believe it was suitably insulated etc (as in the sales description) then you would have a good case for breach of contract if nothing else.

If, on the other hand, you bought the van from someone who had the work done, you have no contract with the converters. Your case would be against the seller.

Hi Mike, Yes, bought the van from the people that have converted it - Big Wave Campers at Bude. But the workshop is in Coventry.

I'm going to draw their attention to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which states that should good or services not be satisfactory and fit for purpose I'm entitled to a full refund so long as I inform them within 30 days. The van only has 7000 miles on the clock and is great condition, apart from a non-retracting driver's seatbelt. I have a feeling that I may be in for a fight...

Good luck. Horrible when this sort of thing happens. I see from their w/site that their "for sale" vans are "insulated and lined with veltrim". Are you in the likes of the AA? If so, they may be able to offer advice and / or support too?

What they state in their advertising is "Fully lined and insulated veltrim" which says they have carpeted it only so if the advert for your van said that then you might well have difficulty.

Good luck. Horrible when this sort of thing happens. I see from their w/site that their "for sale" vans are "insulated and lined with veltrim". Are you in the likes of the AA? If so, they may be able to offer advice and / or support too?

What they state in their advertising is "Fully lined and insulated veltrim" which says they have carpeted it only so if the advert for your van said that then you might well have difficulty.

I think you might be right Mike. I'll see what reaction I get to my email and take it from there. I am in the AA so will contact them for advice too. Once again, thanks for your assistance with this.

@Gazz Well they aren't the most expensive converters out there and from the photographs the quality of the conversion looks OK so I wouldn't despair too much. If you are stuck with it then look at insulating it as a winter project and just enjoy the van as is for now. Insulating isn't that big a job in itself, the hardest will be removing and refitting the furniture, at that you may be able to get the converter to do that if say you provided the insulation. Just a thought or two

@Gazz Well they aren't the most expensive converters out there and from the photographs the quality of the conversion looks OK so I wouldn't despair too much. If you are stuck with it then look at insulating it as a winter project and just enjoy the van as is for now. Insulating isn't that big a job in itself, the hardest will be removing and refitting the furniture, at that you may be able to get the converter to do that if say you provided the insulation. Just a thought or two

Hi Colin, that's a fair point and does put a more positive spin on things - thank you for that. I have a mate who is very handy with camper vans too :eek:)

I thinking along the same lines, if the conversion work is generally ok and you are happy with it then is rejecting the vehicle the best course of action ?
If you do get to return it you then have to start over and find another one

I think the crucial part here is if it should have been insulated before coming to you, if it should have been then they are obliged to put it right and arguably recompense you for the inconvenience of travel etc etc
I would take one of two courses of action, start by kicking up a fuss and quoting trading standards etc to show you are serious and then either
(a) get them to do the work but you agree beforehand the materials to be used and request detailed photos of the work being carried out or
(b) get a partial refund say a few hundred pound for you to source the materials and do it yourself
I would estimate you would need somewhere in the region of £250 to get some decent sound deadening and insulation materials and would leave you a bit left over to buy beer & BBQ food for you and your mate while doing the work !!

Let us know how it progresses with the company, everyone makes mistakes from time to time (although this would have been pretty hard to miss) its how people react and respond to these mistakes that really gives you an idea of how good a business is so if would be good to hear how it develops after you give them a chance to sort it out and redeem themselves

Deffinately contact them first to allow them to rectify the problems. Under no circumstances allow them to use fiberglass to insulate the van. Perhaps offer to provide the premium products for them to install??
I would avoid getting anyone else to rectify anything at this stage as it could void any warranty from big wave in the future due to knock on effects.
Always, always allow a company to put things right and resolve things. No buisness is perfect but the measure of a company is in their aftersales service.

Wise words and sound advice Pauly / Slidepods. I had drafted a very terse email to them but, as yet, have not sent it. I will hold off until I speak to the workshop guy, who in all fairness, has so far been very helpful. Hopefully, we can reach a mutually agreeable solution to this. Your input is much appreciated guys. I'll keep you posted :eek:)

@Gazz I run a consumer facing company, so I've got a bit of experience here. If the van was advertised as having sound proofing and insulation then they've supplied you with something which is not as described and you are entitled to get them to remedy this or claim a refund under statutory law. They can't wriggle out of that one. If it was not advertised as such, then it's all going to come down to good will, but it's highly unlikely that they will refund you. If they offer the wool option gratis, but you want a better product, I would negotiate with them for you to pay for the better option, less the cost of the wool option and see if you can get that to stick. Or say you're going to do the work yourself and get a contribution from them. Good luck.

@Gazz I run a consumer facing company, so I've got a bit of experience here. If the van was advertised as having sound proofing and insulation then they've supplied you with something which is not as described and you are entitled to get them to remedy this or claim a refund under statutory law. They can't wriggle out of that one. If it was not advertised as such, then it's all going to come down to good will, but it's highly unlikely that they will refund you. If they offer the wool option gratis, but you want a better product, I would negotiate with them for you to pay for the better option, less the cost of the wool option and see if you can get that to stick. Or say you're going to do the work yourself and get a contribution from them. Good luck.

Hi rmo69, thank you for your post. I have sent them and received an email in which they have agreed to take the van back into their workshop this week to rectify the issues I have highlighted. This is great news. I'm now waiting to hear when it can go in. I have asked for a detailed breakdown of the work they intend to carry out and also asked for the opportunity to discuss the materials they intend to use. Awaiting an answer to this....

Have a chat with trading standards, they usually have someone in the team that can help but equally, the AA can usually put you in touch with a legal team that are well versed in dodgy traders.
The downside is that they don't go detail the type of insulation and I think you have to give them the opportunity to rectify things. Tell them that you do not want rock wool and remind them of the reason why - it holds moisture and merrily rots vans from the inside.
I use thermoliner on panels from Harrisons trim supplies and B&Q recycled plastic bottle wool, this cuts the thrum and keeps things warm.

Good luck!

Back