New camper :)

Mark8303

Good afternoon
We have just taken over a lovely 2017 VW T6 Highline from another member of the forum so first post. Love it so far although only managed a short run out to a local National park so far. Looking forward to lots more as new to camper vans and lots to learn. The only thing that worries me a bit is security given some of the horror stories I've heard about theft of them! I'll be looking into the best options to cover this and hope the forum has some good pointers.

Hello and welcome (sorry for the late response). I have a friend who took delivery of similar age van with a brand new conversion at the start of lockdown - he too is itching to give it a proper try out. The forum has a good search facility (top right of screen) - if you put something like "security" into the box you will see loads of info presented. Any specifics or something not covered, needs more explanation, etc., ask away.

I’ve got a Ghost fitted to my van, but from reading the manual it’s going to be a pain in the @rse when it needs to go into the garage for servicing/MOT. Apparently you can put it into service mode, but if the van goes above a certain speed (can’t remember the exact speed but fairly low) it re-activates.
If you want a quick and easy fix for your security I’d recommend a Disklok, you’ll need the small size.

I’ve got a Ghost fitted to my van, but from reading the manual it’s going to be a pain in the @rse when it needs to go into the garage for servicing/MOT. Apparently you can put it into service mode, but if the van goes above a certain speed (can’t remember the exact speed but fairly low) it re-activates.
If you want a quick and easy fix for your security I’d recommend a Disklok, you’ll need the small size.
I think it is above 30mph for more than 3 minutes that disables service mode meaning that when the van next comes to a stop they won’t be able to restart it. I’ve had Ghost since day 1 and had no problems with using service mode (though, as it’s infrequent, I have to read up every time I use service mode to remind myself how it works). One time though the van was back at the converters for a bit of warranty work and they moved the van several miles to their paint shop - I got an apologetic phone call from them asking me how to start it.. As an alternative you could always change the code temporarily

Mine has a Ghost fitted. It’s only been serviced once but on that occasion, there wasn’t any problem with it being put into service mode. I made a point of telling the service reception staff about it on delivery to them.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I think the best way would be as you suggest and change the code and write it on a piece of paper, then change it back when you pick it up.

Good afternoon
We have just taken over a lovely 2017 VW T6 Highline from another member of the forum so first post. Love it so far although only managed a short run out to a local National park so far. Looking forward to lots more as new to camper vans and lots to learn. The only thing that worries me a bit is security given some of the horror stories I've heard about theft of them! I'll be looking into the best options to cover this and hope the forum has some good pointers.

Would recommend Ghost and for extra piece of mind and cheaper insurance Smartrak S7 with the option of one off lifetime subscription rather than annual subs charges... especially if you have a view of the van being a long term keeper.

S7 Tracker

Stoplock Pro and a Sparesaver. Have a search on the forum for spare wheel theft.

In same position, had it 3 weeks, have had a couple of nice days out and camped on the driveway, can't wait to use it properly!
:smile bounce:
Excellent we are really enjoying ours. During lockdown we are "free running" our guide dog puppy more often as his training has been curtailed. It's been a good excuse to go in the van to local beauty spots like Butser Hill and The Devils Punch Bowl. It's so nice to walk Mack then settle in for a leisurely cold drink before heading home for supper. Can't wait to do some overnight stop out runs.

Reactions: CAB
Excellent we are really enjoying ours. During lockdown we are "free running" our guide dog puppy more often as his training has been curtailed. It's been a good excuse to go in the van to local beauty spots like Butser Hill and The Devils Punch Bowl. It's so nice to walk Mack then settle in for a leisurely cold drink before heading home for supper. Can't wait to do some overnight stop out runs.
Went to TDP a year or so ago, hadn't been back in 30 years, so was fascinating to walk across the old Portsmouth Road now the tunnel is there!

Back